• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RF Submariner "Starbucks" Ref. Nr. 126610LV Review / Comparision

Jakeson

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/6/21
EU
So at the moment Clean makes the best rollies. RF is ok but not as good as Clean and far away from VS.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N970F mit Tapatalk

Jakeson

20/6/21
EU
I'm sure I get the point and I'm free to write my opinion. I'm not speaking for you, and for me according to the reviews and my own reps if you want to have a nice DJ, Sub or GMT from Rlx I would pick something from CF. For me there's nothin' better ar the moment (well yes a gen)

But if you think my opinion is wrong, it's fine for me. I respect your opinion and I also like to be respected.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N970F mit Tapatalk

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
There is not one manufacturer who makes the best Rolex watches, never has been. If that had ever been the case, all the other factories making Rolex replicas would have closed down.

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

TimeIsGold

28/10/21
Cheers for taking the time to compare these two pieces! I learned a lot! Looking forward for the CF comparison before I dip my foot on the water. Well done!

Last edited:

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
I wont make one because already flipped that bitch of a watch (CLEAN). The gasket eing under the bezel was busted.

squar3pants

Known Member
31/5/11
I don’t see any problem with the crystal. Here is a picture of a gen 126610 and you can see crystal is thicc compare to 40mm sub.

64791-DBD-C6-F4-4555-93-DD-B7-C15416-F91-E.jpg

Reactions: BOSSK

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
May I ask where you got this picture from for proofing GEN?
Well all i can say RF is first 12XXXX i see with such a crystal..

All_Heart

Known Member
26/8/21
My comments on the RF Subs:

PROS
1. Bracelet seems heavier build and tighter tolerances than VSF but not as good as CF

2. Crystal and Bezel fit, and the bezel ring is 3-piece friction fit like Gen and seems better shape than CF Bezel ring

3. Case shape closer to Gen/VSF

4. Movement fitting inside the case aligns the stem well it pops out like vsf/gen and very smooth to wind and screw/unscrew. Unlike ZF/CF where i had to adjust the clamping and use lapping compound to re-polish the crown/tube threads to be smooth again. I lapped the RF nonetheless.

CONS
1. Sloppy dial print

2. Case seems not GEN spec as far as the Crystal retainer ring, Crystal Fit, Bezel Ring fit. I had to lathe the retaining ring down to make the bezel removable by wedging or spudging it.

3. Filthy environment or watchmakers are probably not properly trained.

4. Scratched hands, smudges on dial, hair and fiber on movement.

5. Loads of finger prints on movement (CSI Miami would have a field day).

6. Heavy oil on the Yoke, ratchet wheel, Sliding pinion just oil oil oil everywhere the Yanks will probably start to invade the watch.

7. Very thick crystal and hytrel lip which took the overall thickness to 13.5mm when Gen is only 12.3mm. (Note it does not fit the Gen spec Crystal for the model)

8. Very thick bezel (nylon) gasket to the point that it will pull out the crystal and ring if you wedge it, that or the gasket breaks. It won’t fit a CF/ZF/Gen bezel assy. They should use the JulesBorel or similar soft and somewhat rubbery gaskets that retains shape even when kinked.

Over all a good rep for the price and like any other, it has its flaws but I will never buy one again.

Last edited:

Fisherman1980

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Certified
18/9/21
Post a pic of your rf. The ones I've seen look pretty good. Dial isn't bad either. Maybe bad batch?

All_Heart

Known Member
26/8/21
ebb79f87856a6142c258be1b1835d683.jpg

Here side by side with VSF showing tighter SEL tolerance and better brush finish over VSF

2bd6765333248c61746f51f01dfa9c36.jpg

Bezel and xtal looks good to me here

e8faf90bfadf95c07471ac0c4b6a4b33.jpg

08403c1617d96f27361365c79c991226.png

Here you’ll see damaged screws, oil and smudges everywhere indicative of using bare hands at assembly and the lack of proper tools

053c1962ae1bc84a7dfbf42d28990d2c.png

ddb0429f2e0893477888fcd62157df90.png

Looks okay to the naked eye and the gold texts now readable after a few dabs of Rodico and replacing damaged screws but only put back together to be serviced for another day as I ran out of epilame and cleaning chems.

f74765bcee9f5f5d5f7f114274859f58.png

2bcc043701eb99ea1efa6ab0f4bb7a3e.png

I found the dial was not properly fitted when the hands were installed so I pressed it hence the hands look like they sit a bit high but the seconds hand was already a bit bent at the post and sweeps slightly diagonally.

All 3 hands and dial had to be replaced and the TD was kind enough to send me a replacement set for free.

You don’t see these types of issues with ZZF/CF m, EWF or VSF but I’ve seen smudged/scratched hands and slanted winding stem and roughly twisting crowns with ZF Subs due to over tightened case mounting screws.

Let me know if I missed anything.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
You don’t see these types of issues with ZZF/CF m, EWF or VSF but I’ve seen smudged/scratched hands and slanted winding stem and roughly twisting crowns with ZF Subs due to over tightened case mounting screws.

Although I haven't had the RF with me for a long time, a few words about it:

The crystal looks a lot better on your watch than mine. Mine was also from the first batch, so it may well be that they have improved - good for you :)

The work is built in like hell. I never opened mine. What I can say is that Clean / ZZF delivered my 126610LV without / with the wrong hytral ring, which made turning the bezel impossible. A friend found pieces of paper, pieces of plastic and a hair next to the (also) botched screws in a GMT.
But that was a while ago and the feedback was passed on via the TD. Had I had the crystal like yours and it was still not possible to get a VSF, I would have kept the RF and it would have shared 2nd place with JVS for the 126610 Submariners in my opinion, right after VSF.

ForecastMax

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
27/12/12

You don’t happen to have an RF vs CF bracelet comparison do you?

It does seem better than VS’s that’s for sure.

The RF dial is atrocious. Look at the coronet & ROLEX printing. Way too thick. Geez.

Reactions: All_Heart