• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of IWC FA jones plus Gen vs Rep compro

webvan

Known Member
29/10/08
I'm shipping it back tomorrow to Watcheden :-(

@KBH - you got my attention with the Rose Gold version, do you know if it the rep is available anywhere ? Can't see it at Watcheden for sure.

Is that yours in the picture ?

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I don't know if the Rose gold is still available.

Mine originally came from BestSwiss but their website has been down for quite a while. Best Swiss was another site of Paul from Womart from what I've heard. Maybe you can track him down.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
bestswiss are known scammers that charge $900+ [and are at the top of the scammers list] for crappy reps and Paul @ WoMart is a very bad dealer known for sending rusted movements. Any dealer here can get you a rose gold FA Jones, just ask any dealer. :)

webvan

Known Member
29/10/08
Thanks, too bad, I just sent an email to watcheden for the swap of the defective FA Jones Asian, it's probably ok to have both anyway, not the same purpose ;-)

I remember reading in some reviews that RG sometimes looks like "copper", not on yours KBH I take it ?

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
webvan said:
Thanks, too bad, I just sent an email to watcheden for the swap of the defective FA Jones Asian, it's probably ok to have both anyway, not the same purpose ;-)

I remember reading in some reviews that RG sometimes looks like "copper", not on yours KBH I take it ?

Not at all.

By the way, I was by no means hyping Womart Paul. I've never bought from him or BestSwiss. I bought it from a member of another forum. I believe it was on their website for about $179 with the Swiss movement.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Asian is the nicely decorated one, the Swiss aren't decorated [unfortunately]. Asian is the best way to go on the FA Jones.

webvan

Known Member
29/10/08
For the decoration, yes, but they apparently feel, and are heavier, 75g vs 68, the orginal is 80 though...RG gen is 110g, can you weigh yours when you get a chance?

$179 for RG with Swiss is certainly a decent price, dearwatches (looks like watcheden under another name ?) have the Swiss SS version for $194 and now $155 with 20% discount.

That is certainly a nice watch, almost too big though. A couple mm less would have been great!

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
webvan said:
For the decoration, yes, but they apparently feel, and are heavier, 75g vs 68, the orginal is 80 though...RG gen is 110g, can you weigh yours when you get a chance?

$179 for RG with Swiss is certainly a decent price, dearwatches (looks like watcheden under another name ?) have the Swiss SS version for $194 and now $155 with 20% discount.

That is certainly a nice watch, almost too big though. A couple mm less would have been great!

I doubt everyone is walking around with a scale. ;)

But if that's your thing go for it, but the grams in difference won't be noticeable unless you grab the Gold rep which will have a big weight difference with the gen. I would rather have the decorated movement. :p

webvan

Known Member
29/10/08
I think the original point made by that member was that the Swiss version was more "weighty" and felt like it also the glass was supposed to be real saphire as opposed to synthetic saphire. I must say the Asian I wore for a day before it broke down felt a bit "light". Wonder how much the RG rep weighs ;-)

webvan

Known Member
29/10/08
Thanks, a tad more than the 74.3g of the Swiss as weighed by the seller of a SS Swiss, he has the deployment buckle though so that might add a bit of weight.

lecool

Known Member
30/10/08
also the glass was supposed to be real saphire as opposed to synthetic saphire

Guys, only synthetic sapphires are used as watch crystals. That goes for all watches, that purport having a sapphire crystal. If the watch is stated to have a mineral crystal, then it has a glass crystal. Some companies like Sieko treat their glass crystals to harden the glass a little.

No one uses a natural sapphire for their watch crystal. By the way, the man-made synthetic sapphires have all of the same properties as a natural "mother nature made" sapphire.

johnnymo

Looking Around
24/8/09
My new generation F.A. Jones has improved on the font for the numerals, exactly matching the very fine thinness of the gen as well as the color.

The strap was horrid, so I just ordered a new Honey Alligator 22mm/18mm from Watch Boys and I'll take some pics for you guys when I get it installed. Gorgeous watch for $200.

webvan

Known Member
29/10/08
Interesting, do you have pictures and where did you source if from ?

johnnymo

Looking Around
24/8/09
I sourced it through repwatches on ioffer. Paul has a small selection of decent quality reps.
Apologies for the quality of the camera phone pics. Again, the strap had a nice buckle but it's leather gator-sim, and I've got a real gator on order.

IMG00022-20090824-0446.jpg

IMG00027-20090824-0449.jpg

IMG00017-20090824-0442.jpg

IMG00019-20090824-0444.jpg

IMG00023-20090824-0446.jpg

myocs300

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/2/13
Awesome review. I've been looking for IWC watch for a while and I am more comfortable to shop around.

wiremonkey

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
30/6/14
By any chance. Any of your fa jones still working? Wanted to verify the reliability of asian 6497

Mr_Slippery

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/8/13
By any chance. Any of your fa jones still working? Wanted to verify the reliability of asian 6497

I've got a black one and a white one. The black has been running flawlessly for almost a year. The white needed to be serviced after I overwound it but has been running great after Miskieped worked on it. The white with blue hands and a brown croc strap gets a lot of compliments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wiremonkey

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
30/6/14
Thanks for the update Mr Slippery!