• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of IWC FA jones plus Gen vs Rep compro

taiji

30/11/06
Hi people, here's my review for IWC FA jones. Had it posted in RWI but I like to post it here as well to share with fellow members. Hope you like it.

Here goes...

There are very little mentioning of an IWC model that we don't usually talk about here. Try doing a search for FA jones and the result is pathetic.

I will like to provide a mini review as I thought that this model should be given some limelight too.

The watch is actually a homage model to IWC founder Florence Ariosto Jones

Below is some description and spec of the watch.

1482768094_1c7974e8b7.jpg

There are 3 types of case used in FA jones series. They are the SS, rose gold and platinum.

The most common model will be the SS case with white dial, blue arabic numerals and hands. Total of 3000 pcs produced.

Next will be the rose gold case with white dial, gold arabic numerals and hands. 1000Pcs were produced for this limited and numbered edition.

Finally, the most expensive of all 3 will be the special edition platinum case with white dial, black arabic numerals and hands. Only 500 pcs were produced.

The rep factory has followed rather closely in this case to suit our taste.

There are 2 version of FA jones rep.

1442877861_6a43e2b1d9_o.jpg

First version comes with gen swiss 6498 ETA movement while second version comes with decorated chinese 6498 movement (which look better and closer to the gen)

Let begin by looking at the comparison pics.

1442680277_7385dad086_o.jpg

The first thing you will notice is that the arabic painted numerals on the gen looks thin and neat whereas the rep looks bolder, thicker and slobbish. The colour used for the numeral are also different, darker blue for the rep and brighter blue for the gen.

The dial of the rep is too glossy IMO thus giving it a cheap “plastic†feel. The white enamel dial on the other hand looks like a paper surface and not glossy.

The above is only noticeable if you see closely. But, it still look great from a distance.

1443555768_a1df99f169_o.jpg

The display case back is another attraction. The engravement on the bridge beautify the whole movement altogether. The rep factory did a great job in decorating the movement this case. Notice how close it looks comapred to the gen. Unless a die hard IWC fan, otherwise, it is quite hard to tell from the first look.

Almost perfect but one major flaw. You can tell which is which from the different position of the gears.
Only the second version with chinese 6498 has the decorated movement.

1443583630_81f9b0cc01_o.jpg

The rep leather strap looks ok physically as compared to the gen except it is softer while the gen strap is harder. The rep uses the incorrect buckle which is meant for portugese in this case. The buckle on the gen has rounder corner while the rep is squarish.

1442721969_a7961d0466_o.jpg

Close up to see the differences in greater details.

1442846839_fbdeceda36.jpg

There is a production number engraved on the side on the watch case. On a gen, for example, if 105th piece is made. It will have 0105/3000 engraved. For the rep, they share the same production number for all three types of cases. Eg. 117/3000. The zero is missing in front of the 117.

For my case, it is an old school FA jones with decorated movement and the bonus as you can see is that my one has got 0117/3000 engraved same as the gen.

In summary, like other reps. The rep factory has basically fix a number of flaws but also bring in new flaws. I have handled a gen in an AD before. The second version with chinese 6498 decorated movement is too light and it is a sure dead giveaway if anyone hold on to it. On the other hand, the rep with gen swiss 6498 has almost the same weight as the gen but miss out the accuracy in appearance at the display caseback.

1442750587_0834079116.jpg

Wristshot

Reliability vs appearance? Hmmm....

You make your own choice if you like this watch.

For me, I go for the appearance which was why I choose the second version and well of course with the main reason also that it is one of the cheapest rep that look closest to the gen.

Hope you like my review.

Thanks for viewing.

Grahamdunn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/7/07
Your review is so awesome, its not even funny!

I have been on the fence about this watch for ages, and your review finally helped me make up my mind.

Mucho Gracias!

Grahamdunn

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
It's a beautiful piece, however for the style of dial I find it to be a quite large watch. I saw the gen at the AD the other day, would've been more impressed had it been a smaller watch.

felipe56

28/4/07
Nice review and to be honest its the first one that I can understand and actually see what you are talking about.

I am a Rolex man myself but I struggle to see the difference between a 1.9mm rehaut and a 2.00mm rehaut! And this is just one of the many differences that I just cannot see. I am left feeling inadaquate and questioning my desire to be part of this forum because I just cannot see the things that the experts can see.

I started with a TT Daytona white/gold and its beautiful but it would be trashed by an expert. My wife laughs at me when she asks what time is it because I cannot see the hands and she knows it; I have got to see it in the right light! My eyes are typical for my age - I need reading glasses.

I acquired a IWC as a $20 special from Silix and you know something its functional I can actually tell the time and to be honest it seems to be very well crafted!

Strange as it might seem, I bought 3 watches from Silix and took advange of the offer to take a chance on a second watch for $19.99. A bit of a lottery in many peoples eyes but surprise surprise in my case the $19.99 watches were better.

I will continue to monitor the boards becauser I enjoy it but more importantly I value your contribution because I can see what you are talking about.

I have a huge complex because I bought 2 submariners and they are crap but i just cannot see it!

felipe56

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Fantastic review. This one is definitely worth a sticky!

sarcoid

Horology Curious
6/7/07
Thx for the info! Helped to make up my mind, but unfortunately, negative at this time.

taiji

30/11/06
Thanks guys.

I plan to do another review for Ing Chrono and AMG Ing chrono. I just feel that these fantastic reps need to be mentioned and bring on a spotlight again. If you see and hold the gen before, these 2 are really really I call the super reps (let's not talk about the "disastrous" movement first)

Takashi maybe good to help me on this one as he knows alot about these 2 super reps.

:D

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
taiji said:
Thanks guys.

I plan to do another review for Ing Chrono and AMG Ing chrono. I just feel that these fantastic reps need to be mentioned and bring on a spotlight again. If you see and hold the gen before, these 2 are really really I call the super reps (let's not talk about the "disastrous" movement first)

Takashi maybe good to help me on this one as he knows alot about these 2 super reps.

Taiji-- if you have the time to post reviews on those watches, I'll be more than happy to sticky them at the top of the IWC section. You're right-- those are great reps, and they deserve a really good review.

thehorse

Renowned Member
25/4/06
Asia
Thank you for the review. I've always been curious about this one. Definitely worth being a sticky

Ravage

Horology Curious
3/8/07
Great post. Been really looking for this watch. This review helped me out into waiting for a better rep.

Thanks again!

Ravage

rainguy

22/3/06
Outstanding review, taiji. One thing. I found several sites selling gen Joneses and in every case the photo looked a lot more like the rep than the gen you posted whose numerals are needle-thin and, to me, more aesthetically pleasing. Check out the link below to gemnation's platinum Jones. I compared this photo to the "plat" Jones I bought from EL and they look almost identical.

http://www.gemnation.com/base?processor ... ch_id=1475

Hambone

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/11/06
Thank you for a well written review Taiji. My eye has been on this watch for awhile now, and your comments are most appreciated.

austin870

Known Member
15/5/07
There is also both a rep and gen skeleton version of the FA Jones. I think there was also a limited edition rose gold with black dial which does not suffer from the plastic looking dial problem the white ones do. The numbers are still not as thin as gen.

taiji

30/11/06
@rainguy

Thanks I saw what you mean. However, it is probably due to the camera resolution. If you turn on the macro function and set the camera to highest resolution. The gen numerals will appear thin and sleek as it is.

wanmadtim

26/3/06
felipe56 said:
Nice review and to be honest its the first one that I can understand and actually see what you are talking about.

I am a Rolex man myself but
I struggle to see the difference between a 1.9mm rehaut and a 2.00mm rehaut!
And this is just one of the many differences that I just cannot see. I am left feeling inadaquate and questioning my desire to be part of this forum because [quote:2w2ryjqs]I just cannot see the things that the experts can see.

I will continue to monitor the boards becauser I enjoy it but more importantly I value your contribution because I can see what you are talking about.

I have a huge complex because I bought 2 submariners and they are crap but i just cannot see it!

felipe56[/quote:2w2ryjqs]

You and i both Felipe, don't worry about it, i am sure we are not alone......a year down the road i am sure we will be as anal as the rest. :lol: :lol:

Wanmadtim

wanmadtim

26/3/06
Great review, very easy for the non-expert to understand and very informative. Well done!

Wanmadtim