• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of IWC FA jones plus Gen vs Rep compro

avitt

23/4/06
Excellent review!

However, having owned several of these for quite some time, I feel compelled to add a warning: the blue hands are pure crap. Most of them come with the blue paint (yes, paint) pitted or chipped. And if they don't arrive that way, they are sure to be damaged the first time you have the watch serviced. (I have been searching for some suitable, Breguet style blued steel hands, but they are impossible to find in this size).

My advice is to go for the gold or platinum version.

glitch

Known Member
20/3/06
Wow! Nice review.

Makes me think of holding on to mine a lot longer.

You know - the nagging feeling after you sell a nice rep thinking that you just made a BIG mistake? :lol:

Golfman

7/9/06
avitt said:
the blue hands are pure crap. Most of them come with the blue paint (yes, paint) pitted or chipped. And if they don't arrive that way, they are sure to be damaged the first time you have the watch serviced.
My advice is to go for the gold or platinum version.

I am not agree with you mate :wink:
IMO the steel case, blue hands, in A6498 decorated is one of the most accurate (cause of the decorated movt) and one of the cheaper (around 120$) : at that price i am not sure to have a serviced on it !!!

austin870

Known Member
15/5/07
The rep manufacturers seem to use the same cheap paint on all the blue hands. If you search around there are lots of complaints with paint coming off the blue hands with several models. I don't think the dealers can even get replacement hands. It would make me think twice about going with the blue.

avitt

23/4/06
Golfman said:
I am not agree with you mate :wink:
IMO the steel case, blue hands, in A6498 decorated is one of the most accurate (cause of the decorated movt) and one of the cheaper (around 120$) : at that price i am not sure to have a serviced on it !!!

I am happy that you have one of the few good ones...And I sincerely hope that you NEVER have to pull the hands on that one (or even breath on them).

As for me, I'm 0 for 3.

ronb

Horology Curious
1/10/07
Re: Review of IWC FA jones & gen-rep side by side pics

I think I made a mistake....bought an oversized dial FA Jones replica from street vendor in L.A. Only $60 so no great loss. It is the only version I have seen where the second hand circle is ABOVE the "6" marker or even HAS a "6" marker. As you might imagine my dial is quite large for a watcvh that is quite large to begin with (1-5/8" DIA) dial. Mine is now a very OBVIOUS fake.

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06

i have had 3 of those...and gave them to friends in germany.
the FA rep is very good looking for the little money it costs...and only somebody that knows details about the gen can call you on it.
one of my favourite dress watches, sorry, i dont have a dress ( suit)

good you guys reminded me....just this minute i have ordered another one from RIVER.

need another gift for a mate in germany.

If Mr MOSER would see that...he would turn in its grave !

MSK13

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/7/07

Rep doesn't look so good next to the genuine. Oh well, what are the chances you'll run into someone wearing a genuine.

alw

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/12/07

Here´s mine, with a Banda croco strap. I opted for the (ugly) Swiss version as I naively trust it will last longer...
IMG_1347.JPG

robertk

16/3/06

Great review. Despite the flaws it is a great looking watch. Truth is, you'd have to compare them with Macro shots too see the difference. A friend has the gen and we compared. Just from viewing we missed several of your flaws... so I wouldn't be dissapointed to wear it. As for the blue hands........mine are fine and hope they stay fine. Since it is a very reliable handwind, I won't be servicing it soon.....hopefully.

As our reps improve we've become even pickier!

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06

Moved to Watch Reviews.

capital10

Renowned Member
18/3/06

anyone have one of these on a black band that they wanna sell?

avitt

23/4/06

capital10 said:
anyone have one of these on a black band that they wanna sell?

I've got two - One's on a black Banda alligator - but it's a short (my wrist is 6.75").

capital10

Renowned Member
18/3/06

just sent you a pm about yours

avitt

23/4/06

I made a mistake...Mine's on a brown Banda gator. Sorry about that...

kidge007

Looking Around
10/3/08
Great Review. Thanks

made me go and buy an Asian one with the decorated movement, hope the hands are OK.

Thanks again

webvan

Known Member
29/10/08
Thanks for the review, don't even wish I'de read it since I picked up an Asian from Watcheden. Strap (got the brown one) is surprisingly good !

How are your watches holding up after 1+ year ?

Some info I found here and there that could be of interest :

1. Swiss Version weighs 80g... 15% more as asian version : 68 g
2. Swiss has saphire glass and asian has synthetic saphir

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Thanks Taiji,

I wish you'd done a little more about the Rose Gold. I'd have liked to seen how it compares. I guess most of what you showed for the SS would apply, though.

I think it's one of the all time best dress watches.
DSCN2277.jpg

webvan

Known Member
29/10/08
Wow, can't believe my bad luck, my brand new Asian FA Jones, just stopped ticking ! Any trick to get it back up and running?