• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Return for repair REJECTED at delivery

drbucknell

Horology Curious
16/3/10
As little as I want to make a stink about this because it is yet to be resolved, I feel I must to put the heat on the situation.

I purchased a Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 36 costing around $400, and when I received the watch a couple months back the dial was very loose and hard to lock. Well it stopped locking in place so I emailed Hont.

He returned email to send it back for repair.

I sent it back exactly according to his direction. When the FedEx delivery made contact with him he refused the package saying he didn't have time to fill out the forms etc. Then told me to have the watch RETURNED, and reship it to him using Airmail because of "expensive taxes".

LUCKILY I used a FedEx employee account to ship costing me $26. But if I have to PAY AGAIN to have it returned to me, AND pay again to reship Airmail it will cost me AT LEAST $75 just to put the watch in his hands.

I'm hoping in posting this, Hont will go to customs, find out what the taxes cost him, fill out the paperwork, and BILL ME for the taxes if need be. I'm waiting for email reply at the time being with just a few weeks before they abandon my $400 watch in Chinese Customs.

Dr. Mike

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Did you discuss shipping methods with Hont prior to returning the watch? Given the perils surrounding customs seizure and/or taxes, I would always take care to follow the dealers instructions as to how to ship the returned watch.

Honestly, I can't blame him for not wanting to pay a bunch of tax on the watch being returned. You'd have the exact same reaction if you were hit with a bunch of taxes when you received the watch originally, wouldn't you?

acharria

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/10/09
Did you discuss shipping methods with Hont prior to returning the watch? Given the perils surrounding customs seizure and/or taxes, I would always take care to follow the dealers instructions as to how to ship the returned watch.

Honestly, I can't blame him for not wanting to pay a bunch of tax on the watch being returned. You'd have the exact same reaction if you were hit with a bunch of taxes when you received the watch originally, wouldn't you?

+1

No body is going to pay taxes for a replica....
I'm sure Hont never ask you to use fedEx...
You should ask first...

drbucknell

Horology Curious
16/3/10
There was absolutely nothing said about method of shipment in our communications, just an address. You would think that this has come up at some point in business and therefore would be mentioned for those who are not in the worldwide replica shipping business wouldn't you? I have no problem paying the taxes depending on how much it is between that and shipping it across the globe two more times.

However thus far I've only gotten from FedEx that he refused the package because he "didn't have the time", and from his that the "taxes were expensive".

Look, I'm not in any way expecting that Hont should pay anything out of pocket other than maybe to return shipment after repair, that's just good warranty. But I'm just a customer, I can't know the details of the business without proper direction. I'm just looking for customer service resolution.

Dr.M

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Unfortunately, this is all part of the "game" we play. If the issue is something that appears to be fixable by a watchsmith, the best course of action is to keep it and get an estimate for repair. Once you have this information, you can decide to go through the hassle and risk of sending it back or having it repaired. Communication with the trusted dealer is important. You may even be able to receive an adjustment from the dealer, especially if the watchsmith is one found here on the forum. I'm not saying that you will, just that it's possible that a trusted dealer would much rather have a positive feedback rather than a negative experience.

If it were me, I'd send it to my watchsmith and let him take care of the problem if possible. That way I know it's being taken care of properly and don't have to worry about customs. :)

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Certainly a good reason to give Hont second thought when ordering. Totally wrong for him to do this. I'd like to hear from him why this is happening.

Although I've never bought from him, I've always heard how good he was. This would certainly give me second thoughts. I'll stick to Mary, Robert, Josh, and Ruby, I guess.

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/6/10
However thus far I've only gotten from FedEx that he refused the package because he "didn't have the time", and from his that the "taxes were expensive".

Let me just made a wild guess. This could be due to the 'clandestine' nature of the rep-watch/rep-watch factory operations business in GZ and the need to be as stealth as possible from the Chinese authority. "Openly" accepted your FEDEX parcel implied he is in the watch (rep-watch) business, this may have future (though not direct) implications that could arouse the local authority suspicious. Just my guess, I could be very wrong.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I'm gonna stick up for Hont here. Just because he didn't specify that you use regular air mail for the return shipment doesn't make him a weasel.

I agree that a rookie would not know that this would go without saying: Hont sent it to you via EMS, you return it via air mail. You said that you "sent it back exactly according to his direction" but then you say that there was "nothing said about method of shipment in our communications". Hmmm...

Now, that he doesn't want to mess with the taxes and FedEx matters may seem like a cavalier response, but I am not surprised by it. Who knows where that could lead for him, and for you?

I have to ask: Did Hont say these things to you in an e-mail message or are you being told that by a FedEx employee that he said these things?

This is a game with risks. I'm with ThinkBachs: It's just plain easier to get it fixed locally.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
"Openly" accepted your FEDEX parcel implied he is in the watch (rep-watch) business, this may have future (though not direct) implications that could arouse the local authority suspicious. Just my guess, I could be very wrong.

I highly doubt that FedEx would be in cahoots with the government to discover rep dealers. I also highly doubt that the Fed-Ex delivery person even cares. Unless there's a bomb in my package, my mailman could care less what he's delivering to me. :lol:

Shippers have more to worry about from customs officials and even then you don't have a whole lot to worry about- depending on the kind of day they're having... :anopsis:

JC7

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/6/10
...I'm waiting for email reply at the time being with just a few weeks before they abandon my $400 watch in Chinese Customs.

Dr. Mike

The last thing we need is for Hont to go to customs! :facepalm:

drbucknell

Horology Curious
16/3/10
I appreciate all the replies. I don't follow how Tommy Boy can make an implication on the fact of me saying I followed his directions and nothing was said about which carrier, but I guess you can make something from nothing pretty easily.

Here's the facts though. It's gonna cost me well over $50, and that's only because I get family's FedEx discount, to ship my watch around the world and back, and it's STILL BROKEN. Hont wants me to then send it back to him Air Mail (which is USPS right, so I don't "screw up" again?) to have it repaired. Should I do it or what will it cost to send it to a local repair instead? If it was one of the cheap $100 replicas I would be abandoning it in Customs.

drbucknell

Horology Curious
16/3/10
The dial you use set the time etc seems to be a post with a cap on it. When I got the watch it was a little wobbly but it worked. The dial locked in place if you push it in and turn, but it stopped locking.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
If you're here in the states, I'd send it to katt to take a look at it. Cost you about $6 in a USPS box, and let him tell you what he thinks.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
Guys sending by fedex in China is a no no, thinkbach, yes, Fedex have proven to be more than an ass in shipping Rep.

The grand carrera costs Around 5K Taxes in china is 17%, so it adds up to 750USD, would your seriously want to pay for the taxes? Fedex is always opening up packages and declaring reps as gen.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Guys sending by fedex in China is a no no, thinkbach, yes, Fedex have proven to be more than an ass in shipping Rep.

The grand carrera costs Around 5K Taxes in china is 17%, so it adds up to 750USD, would your seriously want to pay for the taxes? Fedex is always opening up packages and declaring reps as gen.

Don't use Fedex!!!!!! :sam:

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I appreciate all the replies. I don't follow how Tommy Boy can make an implication on the fact of me saying I followed his directions and nothing was said about which carrier, but I guess you can make something from nothing pretty easily.

I see that I jumped to a conclusion. Please accept my apology.

Best of luck with the resolution of your problem.

drbucknell

Horology Curious
16/3/10
At $750 in taxes, they can keep it. Guess the FedEx guy would have a mighty fine watch!

I'll be having the package returned to me Monday, and I've contacted Katt with the model. So IF he can fix it I'll be sending it to him. If not, Hont says to send it to him via Air Mail and he will accept it.

If there is not LOUD and CLEAR on this forum, there needs to be a "newbie list" of things to know when ordering, and DON'T SHIP FEDEX TO CHINA needs to be on it. Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll post an update once it's all fixed.

drbucknell

Horology Curious
16/3/10
Quick update on the situation. I finally got the watch back from FedEx after going around the world and back unfortunately having to pay the shipping TWICE for the trip. After getting it back I shipped it AS REQUESTED back to Hont using Air Mail on July 27th. Of course with Air Mail I come to find out there is NO TRACKING after it leaves the country. So as of today September 1st I have yet to receive notification of it's arrival.

I will be very upset if it "disappears" in the mail.