• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Q's Top Secret BPSD Reference Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rols16610

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/4/12
Here is the rep-Dial as I got it:

y8y4uge3.jpg

This is the same SD with TC-Dial and TC-Hands:

degu3egy.jpg

I think it's not a great diffence. The printing on the TC dial maybe a little bit better though.
I ordered it because I wanted to be sure that the lume of the dial and hands fit each other.

Interesting, was the TC dial a straight swap?

Lartamia

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/12/11
EU
No. It has to be sanded about 1mm (don't know if the watch-case has been sanded instead though).

Same as the gen- Insert btw.
This has been sanded a little bit, too.

Robotomic

25/4/12
Seriously. If anyone mods up one of these v2's and wants to sell, please let me know. I will make sure you recoup every dime.

I just ordered the whole package from TC. Dial, hands, crown, tube, bracelet and even date wheel.

Will send it of for installing and proper water proofing.

After that I will see if it's a keeper. Suspect it will be but throw me a pm in a few months.

Lartamia

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/12/11
EU
I just ordered the whole package from TC. Dial, hands, crown, tube, bracelet and even date wheel.

Will send it of for installing and proper water proofing.

After that I will see if it's a keeper. Suspect it will be but throw me a pm in a few months.

And think about an AR... In my opinion it's a great update, too

zyqysy2a.jpg

;)

sixers_610

I'm Pretty Popular
15/2/10
a good looking watch overall. This is a decent beater until I'm able to secure one with the works/mods.

The bracelet replacement is a MUST.. look at that.. I could fit another watch in there!

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
When a TD gives you a pile of cr@p You make it into a better of a pile of cr@p. I could not look at this thing any longer(even though i only had watch for about an hour) I removed the dial, popped the marker off, re-attached it and put everything back together. It's not perfect but its 100x better than before. I can at least wear it until I do the TC upgrades :cheese:

photo1_zpse69c3bfa.jpg

photo3_zps61f495cc.jpg

photo_zpsac941c1b.jpg

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
Folks, I think the "21j" that minkman is asking about is actually the "new breed 25j". If that's the case, I have heard that it takes eta sized hands. We and the dealers need to get the nomenclature figured out on this new movement to avoid this kind of confusion.

mikeshark007

Renowned Member
4/6/12
When observing the movement with the case back open it looks just like an eta clone except with Nickle finish also the keyless works is/appears the same

45acp

I'm Pretty Popular
2/12/11
I think you mean 23j which is the supposed jewel count for the high beat basic movements. I've had a few through my hands recently and all they are is a slightly upgraded 21j movement. IE a 4813. Which have been around for a long time but supply dried up in Rolex watches because they weren't being supplied with the higher pinions to make room for the date wheel overlay.

They are still based on the 21j (DG2813 etc.) movements from what I've seen and will not take ETA based hand sizes.

Would love to see some pics of this 'semi-clone'.
No, I did mean to type 25j, because that's how the dealers selling this movement have designated it.

I don't know if you have read all the threads about this new movement lately, but there has been a good deal of discussion (and contention) about what it actually is. Josh describes it on his site as a "new breed 25j
Movement", and it looks superficially like either an eta clone clone or a dg3804, depending on who you ask. It beats at 28.8k, but is not (or so I understand) a 4813.

I'm not an expert on movements, but even among those who claim to be there has been no consensus about this movement's origin or design. I read that it has eta-sized hands posts, but I can't say for sure whether this is the case.

Here's the pic from Josh's website:

2ymeva6e.jpg

People that have purchased it describe it as feeling much more robust than the dg2/4813 movements, but who knows?

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
I was asked to show how I removed the dial marker from my BPSD. Note: I believe the correct way is to remove the dial completly (this requires removing hands etc)and then pushing the marker out from the backside of the dial.
That being said, here is what i did, I took a safety pin and bent just the tip of it by pushing it down on a hard surface. I then gently used it to flick/pry the marker off of the dial face being careful not to scratch or damage anything (FYI, if you do this in a lage ziplock bag you wont loose the marker if it goes flying) . The holes that were drilled for the marker feet were crooked so I removed the feet with some tweesers. I then used a dab of gorilla glue on the same pin and applied it to the face and reapplied the marker. It took about 10 minutes from start to finish.
saftypin_zps85b1e3aa.jpg

saftypin1_zps08b56d32.jpg

Hope this helps! :cheers:

Subjeff

Mythical Poster
26/12/12
Just in case someone wants to know what the swiss mov looks like. I took these when i was fixing the dial.
movephoto_zpsc2ce4535.jpg

movephoto1_zpsf294ebec.jpg

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
The aftermarket gen click spring does fit and work well with this bezel. FYI

20130521_092557_zpsdf0f90da.jpg

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Helium valve is faux. Personally, I like that better.

20130521_155150_zpseb9f2401.jpg

Gen Crown will fit the tube but I think a TC or Gen tube would be better. This has about 1.5 good turns to lock.

20130521_155125_zps92bda007.jpg

monkeypunch

Known Member
7/3/12
Got mine today. Replaced the hands with Clark's and slapped it on a nato for the time being. The dates were all lined up pretty well, overall, for the price a very solid watch.

11445645.jpg

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Good news, do you have a link to purchasing that click spring?

I got a pm on this too and I apologize for not including the link. Watchmaterial.com

I'll get the link when I am at work. It was 3.00. Lol

I bet the whole sale outlet ones would work too but I am not sure. I'll compare the lume dot tomorrow as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2

Robotomic

25/4/12
I got a pm on this too and I apologize for not including the link. Watchmaterial.com

I'll get the link when I am at work. It was 3.00. Lol

I bet the whole sale outlet ones would work too but I am not sure. I'll compare the lume dot tomorrow as well.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the hint. I suppouse it is this one:

http://www.watchmaterial.com/viewitem.asp?idProduct=1923

But the question is, do you feel it is an upgrade compared to the stock click spring? In that case I'll order it ASAP :)

rols16610

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/4/12
I have read alot of pages in this thread but not all.
Was this available with ETA movement and is that the best choice if you plan to keep the watch for a while?
The prices that people wrote and all the good things people said about this is making me want one.

Were can I buy this?(would prefer in EU and a link would be much appreciated)

It is available with the ETA movement, although an Asian ETA movement would be just a good.

I have the swiss version, although would have bought the Asian ETA, I just bought what was available in stock at the time.

Sead has some in stock in the EU at the moment, link below, I think he has a swiss one, unless it has been sold.

http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/eu-stock-may-144784

:cheers:

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Thanks for the hint. I suppouse it is this one:

http://www.watchmaterial.com/viewitem.asp?idProduct=1923

But the question is, do you feel it is an upgrade compared to the stock click spring? In that case I'll order it ASAP :)

That is the spring I purchased. I believe Clarks, 9.00 (plus 3.00 shipping) spring will work just as well.

The rep spring stretches half way around the bezel. In my case, I had two spots where it was difficult to turn. The spring was a contributing factor (although the friction disk add most of it.) and because it was so long it had defection. This defection gave it some play left to right when clicking. The new spring is like 1/2" long if that. The wire is angled to get up in the notch. (every man's dream :rimshot:) This, for my watch, made it feel more solid.

PS: On the friction disk, I cannot figure out why my bezel has 2 spots that are difficult to turn, but I put some grease on mine and it helped, but I think a new disk would be good to try. I talked with Wholesale outlet and he said he is getting some in soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.