• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Patek Philippe 5205G-013 Annual Calendar Review

kirkanos

Horology Curious
27/8/18
I received the dark blue crocodile strap from ABP today. I will take some pics of it when the deployant clasp arrives!

Curious if you ever posted those pics? I've got a few straps in mind for mine, but really curious to know how this combo turned out!

rek00001

24/4/13
rek00001 My esteemed colleague is not wrong, my wrist size is the same as yours, 6.5 inches (or around 16cm) and I wear the smaller RMs just fine..

114-AF47-D-B44-C-43-AC-A2-D8-DFE8-C47-CDB46.jpg

D55-AB3-BC-E046-4-B35-AE91-285-CB9-CC5249.jpg

I also honestly believe that wrist shots of RMs is what puts people off because they always look huge. This is because of the effect of photographing from close up distorting the proportions. In reality this is how an RM looks on my wrist...

3-AE442-B9-6-FC8-4891-912-B-14851-CF9323-A.jpg

DC

Thanks for the pics DC! Your arm definite looks beefier the mine, but what the heck!

Life's too short not to wear and enjoy watches you crave! Thanks again

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

svdlippe

Horology Curious
2/1/11
https://youtu.be/fKrzgLyXwyU
Hi Guys,
I have really fallen in love with this watch. On yt I found a video showing a gen. They state that the dail is really dark. The blues color is only visible in very light conditions. How does this compare to the rep? In the pictures the blues looks to be more bright.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
https://youtu.be/fKrzgLyXwyU
Hi Guys,
I have really fallen in love with this watch. On yt I found a video showing a gen. They state that the dail is really dark. The blues color is only visible in very light conditions. How does this compare to the rep? In the pictures the blues looks to be more bright.

It is difficult to know what this fella has in mind, when saying that. I suggest you look at more pictures and videos of the gen and compare to the rep to know if the shades are correct.

https://monochrome-watches.com/patek...ands-on-price/
https://www.timeandwatches.com/2018/...5g-annual.html
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=9518233
https://twitter.com/takepiguet/statu...682048/photo/1

In my opinion it's close enough. And the rep has that subtle sunburst, which the gen also has.

20191118-222603.jpg

And dial is darker even in daylight, when the light doesn't hit it directly:

20191026-140933.jpg

There's a good video here with a close view:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnsRDXc08AQ

The case of the rep is excellent as you can see. And the movement decoration is nice too.

The biggest flaw of this watch is that the rehaut is a bit deeper in the rep, the date wheel is deeper and the moon phase doesn't have the white color and the stars are different.
If one can accept this, you're in for a treat. because it's a fantastic watch. And a superb colored gradient blue-black dial.

The smaller flaws are: The markers are closer to the periphery in the gen than in the rep. The moon phase is a day-night indicator. The month has to be changed manually by the recessed pusher.

Last edited:

svdlippe

Horology Curious
2/1/11
Thanks for the elaborate response. The small flaws I can life with, but the blues dail really makes the watch. But that seems to be in order!

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Thanks for the elaborate response. The small flaws I can life with, but the blues dail really makes the watch. But that seems to be in order!

You inspired my to wear it today ;) As you can see here in daylight. Color is not the problem.

It’s more the other things I mentioned if you compare it directly to the gen. But it’s a gorgeous watch.

molivio

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/10/15
If anyone can offer date wheel mod services for this watch, am willing to pay

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
My conclusion from your review is that everything besides the sunken date windows and slightly off date font is perfect on the wrist, though the dial might be off because we really need to compare the dial right next to the gen.

This watch is excellent for me: it carries out complications in such an elegance way and actually may fit on my slim wrist. There are a lot of gen 5205 dials of all color available on Ebay also. I am considering getting it and mounting the gen dial on it, and somehow have the sunken dates fixed.

Trusty website says the thickness is 13mm. You said it is around 11mm. Could you please kindly confirm which one is correct?

Edit: I believe that mounting a gen dial is less optimal unless we can get a dwo mod fitting the dial. The dial color from you picture looks fine.

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
My conclusion from your review is that everything besides the sunken date windows and slightly off date font is perfect on the wrist, though the dial might be off because we really need to compare the dial right next to the gen.

This watch is excellent for me: it carries out complications in such an elegance way and actually may fit on my slim wrist. There are a lot of gen 5205 dials of all color available on Ebay also. I am considering getting it and mounting the gen dial on it, and somehow have the sunken dates fixed.

Trusty website says the thickness is 13mm. You said it is around 11mm. Could you please kindly confirm which one is correct?

Edit: I believe that mounting a gen dial is less optimal unless we can get a dwo mod fitting the dial. The dial color from you picture looks fine.

The rehaut is also deeper. Meaning that the dial lies deeper. It’s because the hands are stacked differently than in the gen. if you look at a picture distance between the dial and the sapphire glass is smaller.

The dial color and gradient from black to blue I feel is very gen like. Visually in my opinion dial color is gen like.

And as you say you’re getting a complicated Patek which has functional calendar. It’s a special thing. Even the flaws taken into consideration.

I would say there is a very high probability that a gen dial won’t fit in this. But I can’t be sure.

Case is 10,98mm without crystal and 12,00mm with crystal. So it’s pretty close to gen, which is 11,36mm w/crystal.

[

Reactions: Rainbowkin

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
Thanks for confirming the thickness. If I get the watch and decide to like it, I will get the date window crystal removed, which might be difficult to do after all. Not to mention the difficulties of finding and fitting on a better dwo. So close yet so far......

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
Ohh... Also I found that the pages of the GRF version of this watch has been updated and displayed as "new products for May" on trusty. The GRF version now is $10 more expensive than the KMF, and before this update i think the price difference was the other way around. Interesting... I guess people are buying the GRF thanks to your posts, and factory has noticed the demand and adjusted its price.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Ohh... Also I found that the pages of the GRF version of this watch has been updated and displayed as "new products for May" on trusty. The GRF version now is $10 more expensive than the KMF, and before this update i think the price difference was the other way around. Interesting... I guess people are buying the GRF thanks to your posts, and factory has noticed the demand and adjusted its price.

Not sure. RWI sales doesn’t account for much of their total sales. They sell a lot domestically.

Kay Adams

Looking Around
1/5/20
@jm_brc_7057 I’m new to repping but I’ve gone ahead and ordered the watch based on your glorious review ????. Any chance you cast an eye over my QC photo please? See if you can spot any obvious alignment issues please.

Kay Adams

Looking Around
1/5/20

@jm_brc_7057 I’m new to repping but I’ve gone ahead and ordered the watch based on your glorious review ????. Any chance you cast an eye over my QC photo please? See if you can spot any obvious alignment issues please.