• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[OFFICIAL] RWI Tourbillon Club

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
I've only owned one tourbillon and that's the famous Hublot one, which tourbillon watch is the closest to the genuine? This is like asking who has the best sub but to my understanding it's the VC Malte, is that correct?

The VC Malte is definitely one of the closest to gen. However it's very hard to get one with the seconds hand properly placed on the cross as shown on this gen:

6e633ba1c56957fa142c2959db516a97.jpg

TDs have been known to give up after a couple of returns. It's probably an easy fix for anyone with the know how or brave enough to work on a tourbillon. I'm neither.

D

d4m.test

The VC Malte is definitely one of the closest to gen. However it's very hard to get one with the seconds hand properly placed on the cross as shown on this gen:

6e633ba1c56957fa142c2959db516a97.jpg

TDs have been known to give up after a couple of returns. It's probably an easy fix for anyone with the know how or brave enough to work on a tourbillon. I'm neither.

That looks lovely, I am undecided between this and the IWC 5046 or 5463. Definitely want a rose gold with Brown croc Strap. I think a Tourbillon is what is missing from my collections lol. I read that hand winding is more gen like because the gen is manuel wind but how good are these on their thickness? I assume all a little more than gen?

WingNut

Brig Warden
Supporter
19/4/12
Wow, that is so cool. You are a closet graphics wizard, ain'tcha? Added to my signature. Innumerable gratitude. [emoji120][emoji120][emoji122][emoji122][emoji106][emoji106]

It's a GIF I found of the Jacob and Co. Astronomia Tourbillon...a tad over $1,000,000

Hyjynx

28/9/13
That looks lovely, I am undecided between this and the IWC 5046 or 5463. Definitely want a rose gold with Brown croc Strap. I think a Tourbillon is what is missing from my collections lol. I read that hand winding is more gen like because the gen is manuel wind but how good are these on their thickness? I assume all a little more than gen?

You’ll eventually have to get both to be satisfied! [emoji1] Yes, manual wind tourbillon reps tend to be closer to gen in thickness. Maybe only 2mm slimmer than auto reps, but some people will swear they can tell the difference from across the room. The only tourbillon that ever gave me a problem has a rotor and, rightly or wrongly, I’ve since avoided that complication in a tourbillon. I’m not sure about all reps, but most of the IWCs are indeed faithful to the gen for thickness.

Hyjynx

28/9/13
Hi guys,
Can I join? I know this isnt something great but I love the movement.
d71aab59ad6e1e3eb2ea70a7147a376d.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

Of course! Though your entry picture (and dial) could be better, I can just make out a true tourbillon movement beating in the watch. And here's your welcome video on the differences between a tourbillon and a carrousel. Though on this forum we use the term tourbillon for both, it's important for new members to learn the differences. There will be a quiz. Welcome to the club! [emoji1]

https://youtu.be/f82wjlU30Gg

s.b tourbillon

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/7/17
Of course! Though your entry picture (and dial) could be better, I can just make out a true tourbillon movement beating in the watch. And here's your welcome video on the differences between a tourbillon and a carrousel. Though on this forum we use the term tourbillon for both, it's important for new members to learn the differences. There will be a quiz. Welcome to the club! [emoji1]

The chinese tourbillon is more like carousel or original toirbillon?

Sent from the RWI App

vlada011

Horology Curious
4/11/15

Thanks.
I watched that video so many times [emoji1]
That picture was fast one the day I received the watch. I hope these are better to represent the watch.
My photographing skills su... but I hope they are OK.
ec9be005d77ac39abd694b99701e36a2.jpg

89efb6d3d0cc5c29b77e42d8611189d4.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

WingNut

Brig Warden
Supporter
19/4/12
Thanks.
I watched that video so many times [emoji1]
That picture was fast one the day I received the watch. I hope these are better to represent the watch.
My photographing skills su... but I hope they are OK.
ec9be005d77ac39abd694b99701e36a2.jpg

89efb6d3d0cc5c29b77e42d8611189d4.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

All tourbs are good...

I think every (rep) watch enthusiast should have at least one...

Many question the reliability of the movement...I have three and have had no problems...

Now I do not wear them daily and I take care not to over wind them...I do have one automatic...(non rep)

Enjoy and get yourself another!

vlada011

Horology Curious
4/11/15
All tourbs are good...

I think every (rep) watch enthusiast should have at least one...

Many question the reliability of the movement...I have three and have had no problems...

Now I do not wear them daily and I take care not to over wind them...I do have one automatic...(non rep)

Enjoy and get yourself another!
One is enough. I need to put glasses to enjoy the movement and I dont wear them often (glasses).
Inside is sea gull and it should be fine.

Sent from the RWI App

Hyjynx

28/9/13
The chinese tourbillon is more like carousel or original toirbillon?

Sent from the RWI App

Both types are made and can be found in our reps. Unfortunately, our TDs don't care to make the distinction. Take the pictures below for instance, the top watch is powered by a tourbillon, the bottom a carousel. TD describes both as "flying tourbillon."

c91d4dd7fa3b2ec245fd93333a325460.png

To be fair, even gen watchmakers use the term tourbillon even though the movement in the watch is technically speaking a carousel. I guess that's a marketing appeal decision.

s.b tourbillon

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/7/17
Both types are made and can be found in our reps. Unfortunately, our TDs don't care to make the distinction. Take the pictures below for instance, the top watch is powered by a tourbillon, the bottom a carousel. TD describes both as "flying tourbillon."

c91d4dd7fa3b2ec245fd93333a325460.png

To be fair, even gen watchmakers use the term tourbillon even though the movement in the watch is technically speaking a carousel. I guess that's a marketing appeal decision.
My iwc is carousel?
26a4e965a09e67fd451c9f397e0c016c.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

Hyjynx

28/9/13
My iwc is carousel?
26a4e965a09e67fd451c9f397e0c016c.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

Yes, it is. Let's not forget that the invention of the carrousel was an improvement over the tourbillon. Both are based on the same underlying concept - counteracting the effects of gravity. Commercially, Blancpain seems to be the only watchmaker trying to bifurcate the names. If it's any comfort, all of mine are powered by carrousels, except one (Cartier), which I got just so I can discern the differences in real life.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Back on my wrist. Lever Jewel repaired and escapement lubricated.

MM2quJB.jpg
nQKEpcE.jpg