• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"Official DSSD Club"

Messi

⚡️
Patron
Certified
28/4/13
🇺🇸
I think I'm falling out of love with my DSSD 116660s. Hope this feeling passes.

3pR2m4.jpg

3MOWkk.jpg
its friday night, take it out on a date.
do things u two used to do together that brought you joy.
It will pass and youll both come out stronger .

• Haha
Reactions: SS72

jg3456

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
31/7/12
Denver, CO
I humbly submit my entry into the Official DSSD Club - not much of a 'join the club' guy, but in this case it feels a bit different (y)

Couple-o-comments on the process

First, this is actually a nice watch - a nice watch in that it keeps great time. Imagine that.... As is the case with many in the forum, I've had my share of GENs, and while they're pretty cool wrt a bunch of criteria, time keeping doesn't always seem to be their best feature. Anyway, for this REP, I'm less than a minute off my 'set time' from Monday. That's pretty fucking spectacular.

Second, after obsessing over this watch for months, reading as much as I could in the forum (what a great fucking resource!), nit-picking every fucking picture (how's the rehaut? how's the blue to black fade? what are the obvious tells? SEL? hands? etc.), and asking for additional QC shots to assess prior to GL (Jtime was fantastic), I can say I put in 99% too much time into the decision. I can't see a fucking thing that's off when I glance at it to check the time. Nada. No, just the time, which keeps rather well (see first point :)).

Third, related to the second, I had to take four shots to get this barely passable shot for this forum, and I'm far from happy with this shot. I could spend an hour or so cleaning the watch of every handling smudge, then decide I need cotton gloves to handle the thing and go out and buy them, and then fuck around with various light sources and diffusion filters to get it just right, and... fuck it. Looking at pictures is depressing.

Looking at the watch on my wrist?

Fantastic.

Anyway, here's my entry - cheers!

hZEerW.jpeg
congrats, looks great--which factory? From Blue to Black fade appears similar to Noob V10 (however it's not that)

Sf20324

Getting To Know The Place
Gold Patron
Certified
10/1/16
I enjoy this piece. Look and feel very close to gen. ARF modded case by grimlocktime gen crown, gen insert, gen dial, gen hands, and gen date wheel. Rep 3135. ARF Bracelet. Also use a rubberB strap at times that is awesome.

Reactions: C Master and SS72

Artyfowl

You a college guy or something….?
Supporter
Patron
Certified
3/5/24
UK - London
Just had word that my BK DSSD from 2011 has had it's service and case/bracelet refinish completed. Hopefully will have it back this week. Been without it for a few months now, it's been missed!

leebert

Getting To Know The Place
Patron
Certified
22/1/24
congrats, looks great--which factory? From Blue to Black fade appears similar to Noob V10 (however it's not that)
Thanks, JG -

The factory is CSF - it's a new factory for me (disclaimer: I B a Noob) and when I asked about it earlier (in this forum), it didn't seem familiar to others. Would be curious if you, or anyone, have had experience with this factory. As you can tell from my post, I'm quite satisfied with the product as it arrived. Now, will it stand the test of .... (I can't finish the pun)

Note on the blue fade - I had to ask the QC folks at Jtime to take a few more pictures to show the blue fade, as it really didn't show up much on the original QC shots. The tech took a few pictures out doors, and while it was far from perfect in those photos, I wasn't going to be picky. The fade you see here is under a halogen light source just a foot from the dial - normally, I don't notice the blue fade going far beyond the date meridian, and sometimes it seems that it doesn't even reach the date. Given the variation in DSSD fades I've observed in the forum, perhaps this is how the fade is designed? Dunno. Do know it provides a bit of dynamism to the dial which I quite like.

Best,

leebert

AIMforG

Do not accept unsolicited offers
15/7/24
So GMF DSSD are shoddy huh? ARF and Noobs are unavailable. Which factory is making the best DSSD right now? Andrew at Trusty was trying to push the GMF.

funk49

24/5/14
Preasure test meaning it’s waterproof? Where did you have that done?
I've got a BK DSSD from 2012 with a Swiss movement and he waterproofed mine. I've surfed with it hundreds of times and it's never leaked a drop. That thing is still going strong but I'd love to find someone to relume it.

AIMforG

15/7/24
Yes 3 bar waterproof. My watch smith in the UK did it when it was stripped and serviced
Can that be done by any watch smith or is there anyone in particular that’s good? I’m in the US.

Artyfowl

Supporter
Patron
Certified
3/5/24
UK - London
Can that be done by any watch smith or is there anyone in particular that’s good? I’m in the US.
Pretty much yes as long as they have the pressure testing equipment. Most would re grease and maybe replace the seals before testing.

Artyfowl

Supporter
Patron
Certified
3/5/24
UK - London
I've got a BK DSSD from 2012 with a Swiss movement and he waterproofed mine. I've surfed with it hundreds of times and it's never leaked a drop. That thing is still going strong but I'd love to find someone to relume it.
Great watches aren’t they. Glad I had mine refinished and serviced. Still as good as day 1.

Cobra

Known Member
18/1/08
So GMF DSSD are shoddy huh? ARF and Noobs are unavailable. Which factory is making the best DSSD right now? Andrew at Trusty was trying to push the GMF.
I am looking for the same information. According to Andrew, GMF is the only version currently available. I have never owned anything from GMF and not too familiar with them. How is their quality, detail, and accuracy? What are the major concerns?

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
I am looking for the same information. According to Andrew, GMF is the only version currently available. I have never owned anything from GMF and not too familiar with them. How is their quality, detail, and accuracy? What are the major concerns?
GMF is BPF but 904L vs 316. That and other factories are disused at length in this thread.

As far as looks go, that's also all in this thread and on various websites. View the watches you know are available via TDs, and then compare them to pics of gen from as many angles as possible. View the case shape, CGs, lugs, bezel and insert, crystal, dial detail and colour, hands, crown, etc. Decide on what you can accept and what you can't. As far as build quality goes, it's probably much of a muchness.

With the movement, I personally avoid the SA3235. You may get luck with one, but it really isn't a very good movement, and swapping it for something else if needed may not be straight forward. Decide on whether you want an ETA or a RLX clone movement. That, for me, would be purely based on whether I intend to mod or leave as stock.

Cobra

Known Member
18/1/08
I read several pages before I commented. I'm not new here, and certainly not new in the rep game. And I don't want to go through 120 pages, as I know these factories make frequent changes, so a lot of the information with be old or no longer relevant.

I just haven't seen any really convincing evidence for GMF, so I was hoping for more detailed answers. It looks like some have been ok, and some were not happy and returned the watch to the TD. It doesn't seem like enough have been happy for me to take the chance, so maybe I will wait until some of the other factories have the DSSD available, or produce a new model.

When you mention SA3235, are you also including the VS3235, VR3235, and other clones, or just that specific one? I'm personally not too picky with the movement, as I am never going to remove the case back to show anyone.