• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Off Topic Rant!

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
As an ex naval communication technician dealing with secret and top secret materials during war time, I can assure you that divulging Top Secret information is something you don't want to be involved in. Nobody's going to kill him but he may be spending many years in prison and with good reason. It's not up to him to decide what is proper for our national security.

This has nothing to do with Bush or Obama. All this crap is done with the full authority of the appropriate congressional committees and the laws that they have passed. It's done by all 3 branches of Government, not just the Executive Branch. This is something that idiots like him don't get the option of choosing.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
As an ex naval communication technician dealing with secret and top secret materials during war time, I can assure you that divulging Top Secret information is something you don't want to be involved in. Nobody's going to kill him but he may be spending many years in prison and with good reason. It's not up to him to decide what is proper for our national security.

This has nothing to do with Bush or Obama. All this crap is done with the full authority of the appropriate congressional committees and the laws that they have passed. It's done by all 3 branches of Government, not just the Executive Branch. This is something that idiots like him don't get the option of choosing.

That's exactly my opinion. As a person with DOD clearances , there are certain things you see and don't discuss.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
A friend of mine named his 1999 - 2000 fantasy football team the taliban terrors. He had 1000+ emails with taliban and terror in them. After 9/11 he was sure someone would come knocking on his door. No one did. :D
Because echelon picked up his emails, "read" them and realised they were not a threat but you can be sure they were noticed.

I am an army brat and think that this is exactly the country all those heroes fought and died for.
Not anymore.

Amen Luth

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrJPnoBz7Wg"]Kid Rock - Amen Video - YouTube[/ame]

elconquistador

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/6/10
So tell me what era in American history was the one worth dying for more than today?

In 1860 almost 10% of American families owned slaves. Was that it?

In the 1920's the KKK had 4 to 6 million members. Was that it?

In 1942 we had 120,000 mostly American born Japanese in camps (not so many German Americans). Was that it?

So today, we have the lowest effective tax rate in 60 years, and somebody is collecting meta data to see if you dialed a number connected to al Qaeda. Well I guess our country is ****** and I am moving to...

Rush2112

Renowned Member
27/4/13

Agreed. I wonder how people like this guy and manning are naive enough to get involved in this line of work and then get shocked to find out these types of shenanigans happen. Reminds me of the people that voluntarily enlisted in the military and then decided that, since they didn't agree with the war, they were not going to be deployed. Did they read the agreement?

elconquistador

Certified
10/6/10
I don't like what it has come down to either, but how else can you monitor for random terrorist activity.

If some guy planning something buys 20 disposable phones and uses a different one every time he called overseas, how would that be picked up other than wide sweeping of call data for patterns?

To get anything more than the number called the NSA has to go back to the FISA court.

It is the price America pays for not being scared to leave the house.

The day the government breaks into the campaign headquarters of the opposing presidential party, that is when I fear my government.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
If/when the next terror attack happens , people will blame the government for not doing enough. Just like they are bitching right now. There's a segment of the population that are just malcontents. Then there's the Alex Jones crowd.

Luthier

30/9/09
I don't like what it has come down to either, but how else can you monitor for random terrorist activity.
Ever heard words "racial profiling"? Oh, yes, it's politically incorrect...
But it's correct to collect data and spy on dozens of millions of innocent americans, right? Also, I'd love to hear, how this spying prevented Boston bombing???

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Ever heard words "racial profiling"? Oh, yes, it's politically incorrect...
But it's correct to collect data and spy on dozens of millions of innocent americans, right? Also, I'd love to hear, how this spying prevented Boston bombing???

It's prevented other incidents that you nor I find out about. We don't get debriefed every day on terrorist activity.

elconquistador

Certified
10/6/10
So you are saying we should only spy on millions of inocent muslim Americans?

If that is not what you meant, my appologies, but that is how it sounds.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
It is the price America pays for not being scared to leave the house.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither!" Ben Franklin

The day the government breaks into the campaign headquarters of the opposing presidential party, that is when I fear my government.
How about the day they call on the IRS to intimidate them with a avalanche of audits? For that matter do you really think the Tea Party hasn't been the subject of some of this illicit ELINT gathering? No, I don't support their policies BTW but I do support their right to privacy.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
TB, if you're an organization opposed to taxation, don't you think there's a wild chance the IRS might take an extra look at you ?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
TB, if you're an organization opposed to taxation, don't you think there's a wild chance the IRS might take an extra look at you ?
Sure but in this case they were directed to do so, herein lies the problem.

Here's another good quote with regards to PRISM:
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." (William Pitt)

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
My parents immigrated to this country in 70's(before mine and my brother's birth). I am a second generation of Indian decent. My dad who lived half his life in India has face racial profiling so have I(when flying anywhere). Did he ever care? Answer is no. Neither did I. You know why? Because I have heard of stories from him about how bad it is in India. We are blessed that our government is doing something about this terrorism epidemic. In places like India, attacks like Boston marathon is very common and government don't seem to give a shit. I don't care if government is gonna profile me because of my skin color, because at the end it is to save us from those crazy mofos. It is a little freedom(if I may) I am willing to give to give up to be safe. I have no problem if government is keeping an eye on my shite if it is gonna make me and my family safe in the long run. I have no problem if it is done for national security and not for political gain. I am proud to be an American, glad I was born here and I wouldn't want to move nowhere. We are privileged to be born where we did(most guys here are from western culture), you should see how bad some people have in other parts of the world.

Sent from 1:1 app made with gen tapatalk

elconquistador

Certified
10/6/10
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither!" Ben Franklin

How about the day they call on the IRS to intimidate them with a avalanche of audits? For that matter do you really think the Tea Party hasn't been the subject of some of this illicit ELINT gathering? No, I don't support their policies BTW but I do support their right to privacy.

It is slowly coming out that the wingnuts held up for tax exempt status were proportionate to their applications. Colbert's application was held up too, maybe the IRS didn't get the joke.

No proof of additional audit targeting either, just anecdotes from rich folks that happened to get audited and happened to hate Obama. The fact that rich people have always been disproportionatly audited falls flat on faux news.

rhp1462

Mythical Poster
20/2/13
Faux news. Lol. They are all propaganda channels.

Sent from 1:1 app made with gen tapatalk