• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Off-catalogue Rolex franken builds - confessions of a Daytonaholic

KruisingKhaos95

Chairman of Daytonas Anonymous (got any?)
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
Spion Kop - The Scouse Republic
What different movements have you used besides the 4130’s ? I want to try to build something and don’t know what options are available other than the 4130’s 7750’s and st19 sea gull.
Hiya mate, all the Daytonas in the pic above have 4130 movements, they are a mix between Noob, BTF and Clean. Ultimately what movement you use depends on what functions you want your build to have. If you want a fully working chrono and a modern style Daytona, then any 4130 base watch will do. Whereas if you are wanting to build a viet/Ruby 4 digit like a 6263, then an st19 would be a good base. Out of interest, do you know what exactly you want to build, or have a few you are mulling over?

Tommygunzzzz

Sorry who are?
Supporter
Certified
16/12/21
Australia
Daytona collection update:

KhUW9n.jpeg

Edit - lighting is dreadful in this pic, I'll do a full breakdown of my collection at some point soon using proper pics in better lighting
SACO still as beautiful as ever 🔥🔥

Zeta7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/11/23
Hiya mate, all the Daytonas in the pic above have 4130 movements, they are a mix between Noob, BTF and Clean. Ultimately what movement you use depends on what functions you want your build to have. If you want a fully working chrono and a modern style Daytona, then any 4130 base watch will do. Whereas if you are wanting to build a viet/Ruby 4 digit like a 6263, then an st19 would be a good base. Out of interest, do you know what exactly you want to build, or have a few you are mulling over?
I’m not picky when it comes to Daytonas. I love them all. I want to build it myself but I’m trying not to go overboard. I snagged a new BTF rose case with band. Then I found a sweet diamond dial and was thinking about a sa4130. However it’s beginning to look cost prohibitive. So I’m just trying to figure out a movement that doesn’t cost $500. The parts I’ve bought are all really nice but not special. So If I have to go with a $500 movement I could buy the same watch for less. That might leave a bad taste in my mouth. If I had a unique dial that’d change everything and I’d be okay with jumping into another rabbit hole.
If you have any suggestions I’m all ears. Thanks for your thoughts on this one

KruisingKhaos95

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
I’m not picky when it comes to Daytonas. I love them all. I want to build it myself but I’m trying not to go overboard. I snagged a new BTF rose case with band. Then I found a sweet diamond dial and was thinking about a sa4130. However it’s beginning to look cost prohibitive. So I’m just trying to figure out a movement that doesn’t cost $500. The parts I’ve bought are all really nice but not special. So If I have to go with a $500 movement I could buy the same watch for less. That might leave a bad taste in my mouth. If I had a unique dial that’d change everything and I’d be okay with jumping into another rabbit hole.
If you have any suggestions I’m all ears. Thanks for your thoughts on this one
If you aren't bothered about having a fully working chronograph, then a slim A7750 could be a viable option for you. Maybe have a look at an ARF for the base?

Honestly though, if you are venturing into building your own/having a custom build done for you, then I would save the extra $ for a 4130-based rep. They are much more stable and reliable (imo) than the 7750 so you'll likely save money in the long run from servicing costs/ if any issues were to arise.

If you ever need help in selecting parts or just want some advice for your build, feel free to PM me :)

Reactions: Zeta7

Temple

Watches, Weights & Protein shakes
Supporter
Certified
12/2/18
UK
If you aren't bothered about having a fully working chronograph, then a slim A7750 could be a viable option for you. Maybe have a look at an ARF for the base?

Honestly though, if you are venturing into building your own/having a custom build done for you, then I would save the extra $ for a 4130-based rep. They are much more stable and reliable (imo) than the 7750 so you'll likely save money in the long run from servicing costs/ if any issues were to arise.

If you ever need help in selecting parts or just want some advice for your build, feel free to PM me :)
Spoken like a true Chairman 🙌

• Love
Reactions: KruisingKhaos95

Zeta7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/11/23

I appreciate that and you have some really great looking watches.

KruisingKhaos95

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
After a fairly quiet few weeks due to CNY, builds are underway once more with the 3 watch builds below next on the hit list:

116589TBR "Eye of the Tiger"

KaHceK.webp

126599TRU "Ruby Daytona"

KaHgrv.jpeg

116509 "Roman Numeral Meteorite" (I have owned one of these in the past, which I then sold to @Rep and Roll, now I have the itch for another)

KaKDE1.jpeg

3rd pic courtesy of the Met King himself (@oceaon)

I will post updates on these builds as they progress. I am also hoping that my second 509 MOP build (gold leaf subdial version posted earlier in the thread) will be completed soon, once done, I will post pics of that also :)

Last edited:

VixLa3

Patron
Certified
21/11/23
EU
After a fairly quiet few weeks due to CNY, builds are underway once more with the 3 watch builds below next on the hit list:

KaHceK.webp

126599TRU "Ruby Daytona"

KaHgrv.jpeg

116509 "Roman Numeral Meteorite" (I have owned one of these in the past, which I then sold to @Rep and Roll, now I have the itch for another)

KaKDE1.jpeg

I will post updates on these builds as they progress. I am also hoping that my second 509 MOP build (gold leaf subdial version posted earlier in the thread) will be completed soon, once done, I will post pics of that also :)

I was left watching the rugby with my mouth open...incredibly beautiful! 😍

Did you get all the parts from Xing or similar?

Reactions: KruisingKhaos95

VixLa3

Patron
Certified
21/11/23
EU
My none TD sources all the parts for me, which are then shipped (alongside the watch) to his modder who does the build, then ships direct to me :)

Got it...I can't wait to see tons of pics of your Rubytona shine! 😍

The others are wonderful too... but this time the Ruby really impressed me!

Tommygunzzzz

Sorry who are?
Supporter
Certified
16/12/21
Australia

KaHceK.webp

126599TRU "Ruby Daytona"

KaHgrv.jpeg

KaKDE1.jpeg

Oh god, here I go again *unzips*

That ruby Daytona has definitely moved up a few places on my list now for sure

Prizon

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Patron
Certified
10/11/21

KaHceK.webp

126599TRU "Ruby Daytona"

KaHgrv.jpeg

KaKDE1.jpeg

Amazing! Looking forward to These builds

RollyAP

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/3/21

KaHceK.webp

126599TRU "Ruby Daytona"

KaHgrv.jpeg

KaKDE1.jpeg

Any of these tungsten?

il8

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/7/17

KaHceK.webp

126599TRU "Ruby Daytona"

KaHgrv.jpeg

KaKDE1.jpeg

With the 126599TRU, will it be the new Daytona case shape or the old one? I remember looking in to getting one built before but it was the old case shape so I left it.

KruisingKhaos95

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
With the 126599TRU, will it be the new Daytona case shape or the old one? I remember looking in to getting one built before but it was the old case shape so I left it.

This will be built on a 116509 base, so the older shape. Tbh, I haven't looked into the differences between the 116509 and 126509 cases in detail yet and I really should. If the case shape is noticeably different, then I will likely pick up a 126509 when they release, have the lugs set with moissanite, and then swap the dial and bezel over and make the 116509 a rainbow daytona (or anything else that also has diamond set lugs in gen form.

• Love
Reactions: VixLa3

il8

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/7/17
This will be built on a 116509 base, so the older shape. Tbh, I haven't looked into the differences between the 116509 and 126509 cases in detail yet and I really should. If the case shape is noticeably different, then I will likely pick up a 126509 when they release, have the lugs set with moissanite, and then swap the dial and bezel over and make the 116509 a rainbow daytona (or anything else that also has diamond set lugs in gen form.
I'm not too familiar with the new 126509 case shape but I know there are differences, how subtle I don't know. Clean have just released the steel daytona with the new case shape so it will be possible to do, I was just wonder what your thoughts were on the case.

VixLa3

Patron
Certified
21/11/23
EU
Clean have just released the steel daytona with the new case shape so it will be possible to do, I was just wonder what your thoughts were on the case.

As I interpreted the comparison pics with the Gen, the CF 126500 has a really good case for the second attempt, but what stopped me above all was the depth of the engravings on the bezel insert.

I'd rather wait for the 126...I'm still ordering 116 models.

Reactions: il8