• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New ZF Tudor Black Bay 54

mclarendude

Legendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Been checking mine now thanks to you, so there's some blame for you to take here.

Mine's left China now. I wanted it to get out before CNY
Nonsense, I'm shielded from any type of blame. Any blame here goes to @Feefo. :ROFLMAO:

Would not be surprised if both were in the same batch.

• Haha
Reactions: Feefo

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Nonsense, I'm shielded from any type of blame. Any blame here goes to @Feefo. :ROFLMAO:

Would not be surprised if both were in the same batch.
haha! Well here's hoping they roll up soon. Cannot wait, already drooling over some more ZF photographs on Reddit etc

Reactions: mclarendude

joellanier

Getting To Know The Place
29/8/21
Sigh … stuck in “arrived at departure transport hub” limbo.

Plenty of time so I won’t actually worry unless we start ticking closer to the holiday. Just want it en route before then.

Hopefully it moves on through soon.

mclarendude

Legendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Sigh … stuck in “arrived at departure transport hub” limbo.

Plenty of time so I won’t actually worry unless we start ticking closer to the holiday. Just want it en route before then.

Hopefully it moves on through soon.
It will. Mine got stuck there for like two-three days. Normally takes 7 days to get here, but I expect a huge influx of shipping before CNY.

Reactions: Got20Mate

subvertist

Supporter
Certified
30/8/21
ZF Tudor Black Bay 54: Gen vs Rep

TL;DR: Solid first attempt from ZF on the Black Bay 54 (typical misaligned hour indices aside), with some noticeable flaws most likely drawn from the BB58 rather than the BB54.

Secured a ZF Tudor BB54 from a non-TD today and thought I'd compare it to my gen BB54. Here are a couple of quick impressions:
  • Proportions are pretty much dead on: 37.5x46x11 on the gen, 37.5x46x11.3 on the rep
  • ZF's lugs are noticeably fatter/less tapered, which ruins a bit of the overall wearability that makes the gen so good. I'd say the lug shape and taper are closer to that of the BB58.
  • Rep dial print is darker/deeper gilt than the gen (much more in line with the gilt of the BB58).
  • Mostly good news about the T-Fit clasp on the ZF, which feels and adjusts great. Shield on the clasp lock is definitely misshaped (too sharp). Overall bracelet quality is also good but the gen Tudor bracelet feels "silkier" with less sharp edges (again, similar to the BB58 ZF vs rep).
  • Ghost date position on the ZF. Gross. Hate it. That plus the generally rough winding feel of an A2824 versus Tudor's very good in-house Kenissi calibre cheapens the feel.
  • Caseback engraving on the rep is noticeably worse/lower quality than the gen. (I suspect that won't be a massive issue for some.)
  • Yes I'm aware the 9 and 12 indices are crooked. It's ZF. I GLed this for the content.
Overall, I think the rep is really good but not without its flaws; for me, the value proposition of a gen Tudor on the secondhand market (I purchased mine for $3.5k in September 2023) makes this still WBIG. At $350 or so, the rep is still very good and in line with the quality of previous Tudor reps.

Comparison photos follow (gen left, rep right). Let me know what you see!

mclarendude

Legendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Well done @subvertist.

Even with your list of pros and cons, I think it could be an enjoyable little watch for those of us who really don't want to fork up that much money.

Reactions: Got20Mate

joellanier

29/8/21
The dial print gilt looks more vintage on the gen, more modern on the rep. I actually think I prefer the shade of the rep even though part of the 54 charm is its throwback vibe.

Ghost date stinks but I suppose they’re at the mercy of the movement they choose.

Caseback engraving is a non-issue for me, but it is the most noticeable tell.

I wish they got the lug curve closer to the gen but without a gen to compare it to on this end I think that’ll be a relative nonissue, especially given how slender the watch is as a whole. I would have never noticed it until the two were side by side.

Big thumbs up on the functionality of the t-fit.

Bottom line I’m planning to add it to the rotation and wear the heck out of it.

Reaps

Learning something new everyday....
25/9/22
Gonna wait but knowing ZF they will never make a v2

Feefo

CEO, Vaselume (TM) Corporation
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Thanks for the comparison @subvertist !
I think I could live with all those little flaws.
What do you think about dial surface and hand finishing?

dangerdan3

Renowned Member
3/12/20
ZF Tudor Black Bay 54: Gen vs Rep

TL;DR: Solid first attempt from ZF on the Black Bay 54 (typical misaligned hour indices aside), with some noticeable flaws most likely drawn from the BB58 rather than the BB54.

Secured a ZF Tudor BB54 from a non-TD today and thought I'd compare it to my gen BB54. Here are a couple of quick impressions:
  • Proportions are pretty much dead on: 37.5x46x11 on the gen, 37.5x46x11.3 on the rep
  • ZF's lugs are noticeably fatter/less tapered, which ruins a bit of the overall wearability that makes the gen so good. I'd say the lug shape and taper are closer to that of the BB58.
  • Rep dial print is darker/deeper gilt than the gen (much more in line with the gilt of the BB58).
  • Mostly good news about the T-Fit clasp on the ZF, which feels and adjusts great. Shield on the clasp lock is definitely misshaped (too sharp). Overall bracelet quality is also good but the gen Tudor bracelet feels "silkier" with less sharp edges (again, similar to the BB58 ZF vs rep).
  • Ghost date position on the ZF. Gross. Hate it. That plus the generally rough winding feel of an A2824 versus Tudor's very good in-house Kenissi calibre cheapens the feel.
  • Caseback engraving on the rep is noticeably worse/lower quality than the gen. (I suspect that won't be a massive issue for some.)
  • Yes I'm aware the 9 and 12 indices are crooked. It's ZF. I GLed this for the content.
Overall, I think the rep is really good but not without its flaws; for me, the value proposition of a gen Tudor on the secondhand market (I purchased mine for $3.5k in September 2023) makes this still WBIG. At $350 or so, the rep is still very good and in line with the quality of previous Tudor reps.

Comparison photos follow (gen left, rep right). Let me know what you see!

Excellent comparison! Thanks for posting.
For me, i’m warming up to bracelets on watches after years of not really finding any I liked. Uncle Straps Senator with this clasp and I’m a happy man.