• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Submariner case from South Korea

JustFou

Known Member
9/7/18
If the reps fit rolex (thwy do) and this is a rolex fit then the concusion would be yes
The rep dials are larger and does not fit gen cases. The gen dial fits rep cases but the other way around does not work. I've learned it the hard way ...

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
If i remember correctly JF/ARF are wider than gen dial and won't fit a gen spec 16610
Regarding that I remember finding on RWI a rehaut construction diagram (not the @p0pperini one :) ). I was pretty sure that I saved it somewhere but no. Does someone still have it somewhere? It compared gen/JF/TC construction and explained why JF dial couldn't fit Gen case.

You should also be carefull when mounting a gen dial on a JF/AR/TC case as it could be easily off centered due to this different construction.

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
Ok found it!
Here you can see the gen case construction in a simplified way.

z2fSbk.png

Here is how ARF/JF and TC has done it,

z2fbUo.png

Hence the dial will not fit the ST case as that is gen construction.

IMO, reason for how some rep factories made cases like this is so the dial will sit flush against the rehaut, as it will be pushed right into it. However on the gen the movement will be pushed on the 27.5mm step and the dial will not touch the rehaut in any way.

This is why some rep dial don't fit. But i don't know how the K case is made regarding that issue

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
ST cases are/were* under $200 with crystal retainer. Lugs are stumpy AF but the holes look good. You’d expect more for $400 that’s for sure.

* just checked ST and they don’t have any in stock

GIG

9/9/22
ST cases are/were* under $200 with crystal retainer. Lugs are stumpy AF but the holes look good. You’d expect more for $400 that’s for sure.

I checked a month or two ago and also no stock at ST. Have they discontinued the case, anyone have info on that?

CarpetRyd

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
20/3/17
I checked a month or two ago and also no stock at ST. Have they discontinued the case, anyone have info on that?

ST hasn’t had the case set for over a year. You can assume it’s not coming back for a bit, but the all gold one is still available! 😂

Reactions: GIG

GIG

9/9/22

What case do you have pictured here?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
That's a Startime case. I think he meant to say the  CGs are stumpy (meaning short). The lugs have a different problem - they are way wide (fat).

zNSkwn.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GIG and kidcreole

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
It’s a startime thx @KJ2020 but note the case you’re showing is a later no hole case. ST is based on an L serial case so check out earlier cases that do have fatter lugs. Still needs work but not quite as bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
This is an st cased worked a bit to get a better shape. But you can see the lugs are too stubby/short compared to the case previous. I can shave a bit more off the tube area of the case to make the lugs look longer but this is the main problem for me.

GIG

9/9/22
Ok thanks for clarifying.

I agree those CGs are way too short. I was confused if you had received and pictured an ebay case with correct lug holes but even shorter CGs.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
It’s a startime thx @KJ2020 but note the case you’re showing is a later no hole case. ST is based on an L serial case so check out earlier cases that do have fatter lugs. Still needs work but not quite as bad.
Interesting bro, I never read about or saw that there were different lug widths (or different CGs) over the years of 16610s or 16710s.

Here are some pics
4 actual gens with lug holes
zNJdRD.jpg

1) https://www.swisswatchexpo.com/watches/rolex-submariner-black-dial-steel-mens-watch-16610-43995/

2) https://www.swisswatchexpo.com/watches/rolex-submariner-black-dial-steel-mens-watch-16610-43145/

3) https://www.swisswatchexpo.com/watches/rolex-submariner-black-dial-steel-mens-watch-16610-43613/

4) https://www.swisswatchexpo.com/watches/rolex-submariner-black-dial-steel-mens-watch-16610-43480/

zNJXBY.jpg

Not seeing a significant difference in lug widths, ofc some older cases have been polished.

zNJShK.jpg

My 1989 unpolished 16710 L next to a gen 2005 F. That's almost the entire run of the model.

zNJFR8.jpg

ST cases can definitely be made to look nice, plenty of members have done it. Shaving back the area around the tube is a nice mod!

Last edited:

kidcreole

Supporter
Certified
27/7/13
Oh crap how embarrassing I'm talking crown guards not lugs. I had too much to drink last night! I'd even developed some slides before reading we were on two different subjects. Apologies all especially @KJ2020 for wasting cycles.

I agree on ST lugs are fat and CROWN GUARDS stumpy!

There is a significant variation of 16610 crown guards whether it be wear or bad polishing that can't be denied. These are the fatter ones I was discussing that are more aligned to the ST cases.

These were from in order:

Last edited:
Reactions: GIG