• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Submariner case from South Korea

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
This is v1.0 and the guy is already working on an improved version.
It is a very good base for a build with a Rep dial. My gen dial diameter was too small for the case. I received a case upfront und reportet some issues to the guy.
In general the polishing quality is excellent, the lugs are perfectly alligned to fit both bracelets (93150 and 93250).
Please note that the bevels are close to TCs interpretation of a submariner case and therefore not close to the real deal. The good thing is that the bevels on the lugs are almost non-existent and can be applied to the case subsequently.

Last edited:
Reactions: GIG

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Gets pricey by the time you add all of the missing parts
crystal retention ring,
hands
movement
bezel insert
crown
crystal
dial
gaskets

Don't know if ARFs are still around.

Reactions: McDuck888

automatico

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/10/11
"Gets pricey by the time you add all of the missing parts."

For sure, another $500 or more.
The spring bar holes are also too high in the lugs. I've seen this a lot...it is a flaw without a fix, and grinding bevels on the lug tops might get into the holes. I remember not too long ago when DW was selling pretty good 'potbelly' 5513/1680 cases for less than $200 on eBay. Now a 'pretty good' case is $800 or more and needs another $500 in 'detailing' just so you are not ashamed to wear it with short sleeves.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Lug holes look too large in diameter and are quite obviously placed too high. End links won't have proper recess, some will be flush or protrude above the lug.

zME628.jpg

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Really too high?
Lug holes are drilled for 2 mm spring bars, not for the modern 1.78 mm spring bars.

Pics have been taken with Gen 501B Endlinks and with a Gen 93250 bracelet.
For me it looks like a perfect match.

It is obviously not a perfect match with the Endlinks of the Italian 93150 bracelet. But this was also the case when putting an Italian bracelet to my 16800 build.

Don’t blame him for the Endlinks of the Monaco bracelet not being correct.

Reactions: Nur-Uhr

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Yes too high, is this not obvious?

zsjaSb.jpg

Four random gens, dozens more can be viewed at SwissWatchExpo. Not one has a lug hole anywhere near the chamfer
zsjOHt.jpg

The fact that a gen end link can be made to fit is good, but not everyone will choose to or be able to use one. So why limit the choice of bracelet by mis-positioning the lug hole?

The Italian bracelet will fit a gen case properly, so it should fit a good aftermarket case.

The first batch Ebay 16710 has this same issue, in the opposite direction. The lug holes are too low. A gen end link (folded or SEL) can be made to fit but they fit too low. A folded end link can be bent to look OK. An aftermarket SEL natively sits so low as to be unusable, same as the Italian bracelet on this 16610 case fits too high.

zpldOX.jpg

zplC64.jpg

There is a workaround that can be used to force the end link into a better position. Using a 1.5mm springbar with about 6 layers of narrow bracelet tape placed on one side of the bar's long axis will displace the end link up (or down) sufficiently to achieve an acceptable look.

zTk16Y.jpg

Of course that makes the visible tiny springbar tip look like hell through the lug hole so then you need to epoxy some fake springbar tips in the holes. Quite a bit of extra work to fix holes that weren't placed where the gen holes are. I would wait for a corrected batch on this one.

zIV3No.jpg

zIVztk.jpg

zIJco3.jpg

zIJb12.jpg

Last edited:

GIG

9/9/22
@KJ2020 the lugs on the BP look slightly wide from pictures. Would slim them down with case work bring them closer to gen shape and thin the chamfers down at the same time? Or am I imagining things 🤷‍♂️

I'm going to pick a BP 16610 to play around with and would like to try my hand at case modding. Gotta start somewhere right?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
@KJ2020 the lugs on the BP look slightly wide from pictures. Would slim them down with case work bring them closer to gen shape and thin the chamfers down at the same time? Or am I imagining things 🤷‍♂️

I'm going to pick a BP 16610 to play around with and would like to try my hand at case modding. Gotta start somewhere right?
Yes, narrowing the BP lugs by shaving the case sides inward is what is needed to fix the ultra wide chamfers. It's not hard to do, just take it slow and don't take too much off. I took quite a bit off a Noob 116610 case side due to a lug dent, so much that all the lugs had to be grinded down to match. It's not really an issue on this sample as I just turned it into a fantasy rep but you can end up taking more off than you should.

Gen-BP-7-Medium.jpg

ZGu2U4.jpg

ZGuHX1.jpg

This is pretty off topic though, sorry. Let's stay on track.

Last edited:

GIG

9/9/22
This is v1.0 and the guy is already working on an improved version.
It is a very good base for a build with a Rep dial. My gen dial diameter was too small for the case. I received a case upfront und reportet some issues to the guy.
In general the polishing quality is excellent, the lugs are perfectly alligned to fit both bracelets (93150 and 93250).
Please note that the bevels are close to TCs interpretation of a submariner case and therefore not close to the real deal. The good thing is that the bevels on the lugs are almost non-existent and can be applied to the case subsequently.

This new case sounds very promising! I'll be watching closely.

Any idea when we can expect a v2 case? Is the seller on ebay the manufacturer?

nom_deplume

Known Member
8/1/22
Earth
Well at this state looks way to expensive ... why not by this ARF ready to go for an extra $88 ..and mod away .. WTF

rlx20221114_402.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Well at this state looks way to expensive ... why not by this ARF ready to go for an extra $88 ..and mod away .. WTF

rlx20221114_402.jpg
This "RAF" LN has some potential but is not "ready to go" with a maxi dial and minute hand. Also the SH3135 movement is not a keeper. The DW and crystal are bad, stubby CGs, etc.

Reactions: Nur-Uhr

nom_deplume

Known Member
8/1/22
Earth
This "RAF" LN has some potential but is not "ready to go" with a maxi dial and minute hand. Also the SH3135 movement is not a keeper. The DW and crystal are bad, stubby CGs, etc.

Point IS ... case needs work ... both do .. however one is complete for an extra $88 to mod.. and one is just a case ..

nom_deplume

Known Member
8/1/22
Earth
Don't get me wrong .. I'm in line for this big time but at $400 has to get the CG's and bevel spot on.. otherwise I will use a JRF 16610 case