• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 6542 - budget factory option by TS-Station

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Looks like mine was on the time graph 20 minutes before yours. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...c4MXdKSXNCdlFR I wasn't convinced the date was well centred so they sent me several more pictures with a more reassuringly position date and I accepted.

I expect I'll want to change the dial at some point. Bit of a novice at this..does anyone know if I can just use one of the ones from Rubys watch, like this: http://rubyswatch.com/Products/parts/gmt-6542 and one of their Jubilees: http://rubyswatch.com/products/k10-1-|-6251h-|-bracelet-|-20mm-|-55-endlink-2168 ?

May I ask what's the price for those dials? No matter how I try, I can't register myself onto that website from my mobile.

EDIT: Thanks KJ2020 !

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

spacedinvader

Known Member
1/8/18
Ruby's dials do not have feet on them so you will have to use dial dots or glue new feet on it. Search this thread for Hor-Fan 's 6542, he has a beautiful white Vietnam dial on it. I have ordered one like it from Ruby's. The bracelet should fit, it has the correct endlinks for this model. Take note that the jubilee links are folded, which I didn't really care for. I will probably order a jubilee from Raffles and swap in the TS Watch stock clasp.

FWI the Ruby's dials are $230

http://rafflesdials.com/20mm-america...atejust-watch/

http://rafflesdials.com/20mm-solid-s...-116234-watch/

Thanks so much..very helpful well-informed info. I did wonder about the price for those dials...!

It should be with me by the end of next week and then I’ll have a better idea of what I might attempt to mod.

Reactions: KJ2020

MrLux

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/3/19
I am definitely drawn to this whole vintage look, rather than new looking reps.

djulink

4/9/14
Indeed. Looks like my grandma did them, with one of her knitting needles, ha (although I don't know how sharp and we'll finished we're the originals, remember this is supposed to be a +60 year old watch).

I have better ones on my Bond Sub but it’s VN, so expected. Good to see better engravings than poor Silix style on a budget watch,
I like it more and more... can’t wait to get my hands on it

giphy.gif

Reactions: Hinclimincli

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks, I thought you meant the black gilt.dial. That's more expensive in my experience.

The black gilt dial comes with the watch from TSWatch. I'm probably going to sell it after I install the white one.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
The black gilt dial comes with the watch from TSWatch. I'm probably going to sell it after I install the white one.

The one that comes with the watch is not a true negative relief gilt dial though, that's one of the weak spots of this watch imho.
The negative relief is a reverse printing technique: the glossy black base lacquer is applied with cutouts for inscriptions, indices and minute track so you can see the gold plated polished brass underneath. That's why it sparkles in the sun while rep dials don't.

Reactions: 369mafia

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The one that comes with the watch is not a true negative relief gilt dial though, that's one of the weak spots of this watch imho.
The negative relief is a reverse printing technique: the glossy black base lacquer is applied with cutouts for inscriptions, indices and minute track so you can see the gold plated polished brass underneath. That's why it sparkles in the sun while rep dials don't.

Right, I dont think any of the Ruby's GMT dials are negative relief either. At least they don't look look like it in the web pics. You could tell better than me. Nice dials though.

http://rubyswatch.com/products/c15-2...6#lg=1&slide=4

Last edited:

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09

That's correct. And after cleaning some specks on the dial I can also say that the lume is the source of those specks, as it's some kind of gold dust deposited there. Do not touch it at all!

I assume a true gilt dial is more expensive than this whole watch, am I right?

djulink

4/9/14
That would be « Gilt » (no, it could be cheaper; it depends on the « how to make the dial » process):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Are MQ dials true gilt?

I have never seen an MQ dial in real but from his website I can see only one that COULD be true gilt (I mean true NEGATIVE gilt) ... depending on the price they ask for it you would need some close-up pics to check if this Is or is NOT negative gilt.
I really don't know if there are any aftermarket negative-gilt dials, apart from custom made dials.

Gilt decal dials are a good (and much cheaper !!!) alternative but from close inspection you'll never get details like those on the pics below ;)
From those pics one really can see how the black ink is applied on a gilt/gold-plated dial plate ... so the gilt parts sit lower than the black parts (hence the term "negative gilt")
If you look at the black ink on the left pic you can almost see a "weft" so one can suppose that was made using silk-printing (but not 100% certain)

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Right, I dont think any of the Ruby's GMT dials are negative relief either. At least they don't look look like it in the web pics. You could tell better than me. Nice dials though.

http://rubyswatch.com/products/c15-2...6#lg=1&slide=4

I have handled quite a few, they are. It's not something you can see easily in pics but IRL it's obvious. The only difference with what manodeoro posted is they are mostly delivered with a smooth gloss lacquer finish.
MQ sells the same stuff if not better, some say all vietnam dials come from the same maker and MQ gets sort of first dibs.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Interesting, that's some pretty intricate metal cutting. And then placing the tiny middle pieces of letters like R O A etc. Wow.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I assume these Vietnam dials aren't just a direct swap, because of date window position, are they?

Btw, I'll sound like a total noob, but what's MQ?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I assume these Vietnam dials aren't just a direct swap, because of date window position, are they?

Btw, I'll sound like a total noob, but what's MQ?

Hor-Fan did a direct swap with his white dial. It probably required new feet or dial dots, but the date window was OK. I think there was an issue with another crystal. But the stock one was OK IIRC.

Reactions: Hinclimincli