• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Molotow Cocktail with springs and balls!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanx for that Pal. I'm in the UK though so had to find something closer to home.

Springs
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131353754666

Balls
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174470244530

Now have you got any ideas what to do about the 3rd pip? The one way thing bottom left?

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

The click is pretty near impossible to source, and as you've seen a replacement isn't always compatible. Even a gen isn't a guarantee to fit as many rep case and bezel designs vary.

I've had this discussion before and an idea was brought up to use the end of a springbar as a starting point to make one. I haven't ever had to do this but I think the idea has some merit.

Having a quantity of springbars in an assortment box would be useful. Find one where the barrel is a snug fit in the hole it could even be glued in with some light glue like locktite or GS Hypo cement. This would keep it from rotating. Then use a spring beneath the tip so the tip can move up and down. The functionality can be tested by setting the bezel on the case with the hytrel ring removed and no other springs and balls installed. The movable springbar tip could be bevel sanded to provide one way rotation. A longer spring would keep tension on the tip against the bezel teeth and should help keep the tip from rotating out of position.

alexcast

23/6/19
Finally I got the springs and metal balls, que only problem I face now is to reattach the bezel to the watch, I guess I’ll better take it to a watch smith

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Abudhabi

Horology Curious
14/1/22
Hi,

purchased the ball bearings from Amazon but need the bezel gasket for 126610, anyone have a link? And any idea where it goes?? Thanks

wisedennis

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
11/11/22
CONUS USA
Ok so like most everyone who gets a Hulk I hated the bezel insert.

I decided to do the Molotow paint mod, using silver metallic. On my first attempt I used Q-tips to apply the paint like someone mentioned to do. I tried to be careful and did 4 coats allowing an hour between each to dry. Then I rubbed the paint off the ceramic with Q-tips. I wasn't happy with the results. It was too globby.

So I decided to have another go at it. I removed the previous paint with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. This time I used an ultra fine paint brush. Stabilize the insert somehow, put the paint on something plastic and dip into it with the brush. Apply the paint into the recesses as thinly as possible. Don't do more than a couple marker slots at a time and do not let the paint pool. Continue to brush it until it is even and uniform.

After four coats of paint, I let it dry overnight. This method is so controlled that I saw there really is no need to remove the bezel or the insert. To keep it even cleaner, you could put a piece of masking tape above each maker to keep it off the bezel.

While it was drying, I set about to replace the bezel. I had lost one of the springs and balls taking it apart. Another forum member @d3s19n posted the Amazon links to replacement parts that worked perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YL4610/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S4GSZE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The gen springs and balls are soldered together so I just superglued them.

Next up was reconnecting the bezel to the case. Factories use different attachment methods. This is a BP case. Their case has a sloped ridge around the retaining ring that the bezel has to fit over. I had a really hard time getting this bezel off. It came off very slowly, a half millimeter at a time with great effort. The teflon gasket was in good shape and properly seated to reinstall.

The diameter of the retaining ring ridge is 32.2, the inside diameter of the bezel + teflon gasket is 31.5 mm - this is going to be fun.

There was no way I could snap the bezel back on by hand, I couldn't even do it with a crystal press.

So I milled the retaining ring sloped edge down by a full .4 mm with a dremel tool and a grinding disc, then I polished it out. It was now 31.8 mm with the bezel + teflon gasket being 31.5 mm. STILL I could not get the bezel on even using a press. WOW, like I said earlier I wish I had never taken the freaking thing off. I could have painted the insert just fine with it in place.

Wondering what to do next, I got a bigger press - a VICE! Sounds crazy I know, but I had a 38 mm bezel die so I figured it was worth a try.

SNAP! Finally it went home, yikes what a pain.

So then I rubbed off the extra paint from the ceramic and can re-attach the insert.

Looking better now

Before:

After:

This will be a whole lot easier next time!
Amazing as always, @KJ2020 brother; always top quality content 👍🏽👍🏽

I wonder if the paint can be rubbed right off readily after a day of drying? I have never painted anything on ceramic and wanna confirm how it would work =)

Dennis