• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Master Ultra Thin Réserve de Marche

rearwheeldrive

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/12/15
Hi all,

Got the watch a couple of days ago, but have been so busy that haven't captured pics or anything yet. But I wanted to pass along a few impressions. This is by no means a complete review. Not that I'd know how to write one.

First, isn't DHL *fast*!? 3 days from Hong Kong to delivered in Boston. Incredible.

The watch arrived in perfect condition. It is a dressy piece. I wore it at work on casual Friday with jeans and a nice sweater so that I can show it to a colleague who had requested it, but I didn't like the match. This feels like a shirt, slacks and leather shoes kind of watch, at a minimum.

This is also a fairly subtle watch. The dial does not pop very much. The contrast is muted, what with the light gray dial, silver needles, black lettering. One person said it was "traditional / old fashioned".

I have 6.5 inch wrists, see skinny wrist thread, and this is probably the smallest size watch I want to wear so that I'm not too far out of step with today's size custom. The strap has been a disappointment. I don't have enough leather strap experience to gauge quality, but the black side appears to scratch fairly easily. But by far the biggest issue I have with it is that it's far too long with far too few holes. It's at least two holes shy, perhaps three. I simply can't snug the watch properly with the default strap. I think I can slide two fingers underneath. Really strange. So thanks to supertweet for the lug width. I'll either attempt to punch new holes or be in the market for a new strap. I'm actually far from convinced that punching holes will be satisfactory. This is because the strap "tail", the loose end, shows on the outside of the wrist. Since it's far too long, it protrudes awkwardly. By snugging the strap more, I'd exacerbate that issue. I may experiment with switching the strap around and see if it's less bothersome when on the inside. The strap buckle/lock-thingy is fairly dainty, but snaps with confidence.

Mechanically it's been top notch. It winds with more confidence than the IWS portuguese 3714 rep I got. It's smoother with less grinding sounds. The reserve dial seems to provide useful information: commensurate with approx energy left. I haven't tried the date adjustment yet, even though it's not set right. It's been that kind of week. The rotor of the automatic movement works, but appears to "stick" at a couple of points. I have no idea whether that is to be expected. I vaguely recall other people discussing that about other types of watches somewhere in these forums.

I am leaving for a trip where light colored clothes are preferred, so I won't be able to wear it for a while. Not that I would without a new strap. But it means that further impressions will have to wait.

At this point, I like it, but I don't love it yet. Perhaps with a new strap.

supertweet

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
4/6/08
Hanks for the first impressions, RWD. I'm sure, like many sight unseen purchases, there's a period of both adjustment and also acclimation. I hope you enjoy it.

I believe I'll be gettnig mine in the next few, but if you have the time and the inclination, please measure the clasp-end strap width? Your comments make me want to order a replacement even more quickly.

Safe journeys, and hope you enjoy it.

Hi all,

Got the watch a couple of days ago, but have been so busy that haven't captured pics or anything yet. But I wanted to pass along a few impressions. This is by no means a complete review. Not that I'd know how to write one.

First, isn't DHL *fast*!? 3 days from Hong Kong to delivered in Boston. Incredible.

The watch arrived in perfect condition. It is a dressy piece. I wore it at work on casual Friday with jeans and a nice sweater so that I can show it to a colleague who had requested it, but I didn't like the match. This feels like a shirt, slacks and leather shoes kind of watch, at a minimum.

This is also a fairly subtle watch. The dial does not pop very much. The contrast is muted, what with the light gray dial, silver needles, black lettering. One person said it was "traditional / old fashioned".

I have 6.5 inch wrists, see skinny wrist thread, and this is probably the smallest size watch I want to wear so that I'm not too far out of step with today's size custom. The strap has been a disappointment. I don't have enough leather strap experience to gauge quality, but the black side appears to scratch fairly easily. But by far the biggest issue I have with it is that it's far too long with far too few holes. It's at least two holes shy, perhaps three. I simply can't snug the watch properly with the default strap. I think I can slide two fingers underneath. Really strange. So thanks to supertweet for the lug width. I'll either attempt to punch new holes or be in the market for a new strap. I'm actually far from convinced that punching holes will be satisfactory. This is because the strap "tail", the loose end, shows on the outside of the wrist. Since it's far too long, it protrudes awkwardly. By snugging the strap more, I'd exacerbate that issue. I may experiment with switching the strap around and see if it's less bothersome when on the inside. The strap buckle/lock-thingy is fairly dainty, but snaps with confidence.

Mechanically it's been top notch. It winds with more confidence than the IWS portuguese 3714 rep I got. It's smoother with less grinding sounds. The reserve dial seems to provide useful information: commensurate with approx energy left. I haven't tried the date adjustment yet, even though it's not set right. It's been that kind of week. The rotor of the automatic movement works, but appears to "stick" at a couple of points. I have no idea whether that is to be expected. I vaguely recall other people discussing that about other types of watches somewhere in these forums.

I am leaving for a trip where light colored clothes are preferred, so I won't be able to wear it for a while. Not that I would without a new strap. But it means that further impressions will have to wait.

At this point, I like it, but I don't love it yet. Perhaps with a new strap.

leoco

Horology Curious
26/12/14
Terry, would you mind sharing your QC pics? Would be interested in rose gold one as well...

Thanks for the QC pics, I ordered the rose gold best edition last week, waiting for QC pics. This piece is very close to the GEN, unless you look very close only minor differences.
Im hoping the strap is decent. Gen has deeper engraving also.

terry777

6/12/15
Just ordered this watch from Ryan, QC pics look great. Not concerned about the dial placement due to the movement, its just a great looking watch on both sides.
Should arrive in a week or so.

supertweet

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
4/6/08
FYI, Lug width on mine is 22mm, not 21mm as the TD stated. My 21mm replacement strap shows the spring bar.

Other than that, love the watch. Understated and classic, but in overhead light sparkles similarly to the Gen's at Tourneau. A lovely piece.

Pic's to come, as soon as another (22mm :dry:) strap arrives.

leoco

Horology Curious
26/12/14
Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of this piece..

rearwheeldrive

5/12/15
I believe I'll be gettnig mine in the next few, but if you have the time and the inclination, please measure the clasp-end strap width? Your comments make me want to order a replacement even more quickly.

Supertweet, I think you have yours now and probably answered your question. Nonetheless, for the sake of forum completeness and so that we may compare our measurements, I arrived at 18mm for strap width on the clasp side (skinny side).

I am definitely in the market for a shorter strap and I would love suggestions. I'm still new to this hobby and could use the pointers.

rearwheeldrive

5/12/15
FYI, Lug width on mine is 22mm, not 21mm as the TD stated. My 21mm replacement strap shows the spring bar.

Other than that, love the watch. Understated and classic, but in overhead light sparkles similarly to the Gen's at Tourneau. A lovely piece.

Pic's to come, as soon as another (22mm :dry:) strap arrives.

Interesting. I just took a ruler to mine and could swear I'm seeing 21mm for lug width. Maybe a hair wider, but definitely not 22mm. Can the manufacturing variance be that high?

supertweet

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
4/6/08
Perhaps it could be the strap maker mis labeling his package. I'll measure mine when I return home tomorrow, and update here.

Interesting. I just took a ruler to mine and could swear I'm seeing 21mm for lug width. Maybe a hair wider, but definitely not 22mm. Can the manufacturing variance be that high?

ProGun

Horology Curious
28/1/16
Lots of great info in this thread. This is a watch I'm considering, but I also have a very skinny wrist, so would need a different strap.

terry777

6/12/15
Received my watch yesterday, cannot stop looking at it. I have it placed next to my gen Rolex, seems that's where it should be.
Will find a higher quality watch strap for this watch, other than that, its just a beautiful watch, looks and feels terrific. (rose gold)
Exceptional quality for the price. Love it.

458spider

I'm Pretty Popular
2/3/13
Just got the QC pics which I'm posting here not in an attempt to get feedback but rather to answer the call to post pics:

IMG_6065.jpg

I believe the strap not supposed to be like that, if you know what i mean.
Or is it just me :)

rearwheeldrive

5/12/15
I started poking around the interwebs in search for a shorter strap. I haven't struck gold yet. Any tips appreciated. Heck, I'm tempted to punch a couple of extra holes in my existing strap and see what happens.

For measurements, on my rep I see: 21mm wide at lugs, 18 mm wide at clasp. 119 mm long on holes side, and 75 mm long on the other side.

rearwheeldrive

5/12/15
Could you post some real life pictures?

Here are a few quick shots. It's certainly not the quality of photos other people are able to pull off, but it'll give you an idea.

I have 6.5" wrists. The size is very traditional. It appears a bit bigger on the pics due to poor strap fitment:

File_004.jpg

Note how I have it on the last hole of the strap:

File_000.jpg

Despite that, the first is very, very loose:
File_002.jpg

For illustrative purpose, see how I can wedge a couple of pens. I'd need at least 2 more holes:

File_001.jpg

Hope this helps.

leoco

Horology Curious
26/12/14
Thanks RWD! Nice looking watch you have there. I would indeed change a proper (or maybe even original strap), will give it a lot more allure.

How thick is the watch? Is it really the indicated "10mm"? seems a bit thicker..

Thanks again for the pics, really helpful

terry777

6/12/15
The rose gold version has a different clasp, fits me well. I'll consider replacing the strap if I can find the right one. Yours looks terrific.
cheers

supertweet

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
4/6/08
Update: Lug width is indeed 21mm.

Sidenote: Mine died, replacing the strap :cryingbadly::giggle: I don't know what occurred, but the balance wheel isn't spinning, despite power showing on the reserve. I only wound it 10 times, hadn't worn it properly.

It happens, with reps, going to a local small watch smith. Merely unfortunate; I've wanted a good rep of the RDM since before the current 2012 iteration came out. Was, still am, very excited about this piece.

458spider

I'm Pretty Popular
2/3/13
Could someone post a real pic side by side with 42 or 44mm watch like a sub or ap? I never own watch with less than 40mm in my life and this could be my 1st :)

rearwheeldrive

5/12/15
Quick update. I hadn't been wearing my watch due to poor strap fitment. I was unable to locate an eXtra Small strap anywhere short of having it custom made for several 100s of dollars, which I didn't think made sense for a rep.

I reached out to Ryan of InTime where I got the watch and he told me what just the strap would cost me, which would be about $30 though I don't know if that would include shipping (probably not). In any case, that gave me the confidence to punch holes in my existing strap.

I procured this punch tool for about $10:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FXLNLES?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

The smallest hole is 2mm, which appears about 50-75% bigger than the stock holes, but it worked like a charm nonetheless. I punched two holes, but really needed only one. No biggie.

Point is, I can now wear my watch!