• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Liquidmetal PO

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
Not that hard? Liquid metal ?

It is very hard to copy well

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Very very difficult watch to replicate, let's face it, Omega have upped their game significantly with these new 8500 gens, the finish and attention to detail is amazing. We are never going to get a truely top replication here, even if it's a so called 1:1ish its going to have many tells.

But we would settle for a properly logoed, basic ceramic bezeled with passable pearl and also open displayback with semi decorated sellita or a2824 PO. That would be worth buying.
In a way we were all spoilt with the old PO 5th gen/UPO as it was a modders dream and still a good rep out of the box if we didn't look too closely. This one we will have to lower our expectations just a little as it seems to be an absolute cracking gen, who knows they might surprise us :) The problem with the really crappy versions on some of the cheaper sites is we know they can do better as they have raised the bar lately, they need to keep at least at those high levels.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State

+1, IMO. Integrating liquidmetal in the bezel is a fascinating process and deserves to remain solitary and distinctive. Props to Swatch.

The 8500 design is another matter. But the PO is a beautiful concept, IMHO.

goonx

Known Member
18/4/12
+1, IMO. Integrating liquidmetal in the bezel is a fascinating process and deserves to remain solitary and distinctive. Props to Swatch.

I don't think the rep will have any "liquidmetal" in it. What we're trying to achieve is a 95% look alike. As long as the materials the rep uses can somewhat accurately minmic the "look" of it, it should sell well.

That being said, what's better to look like liquidmetal than liquidmetal itself.

rileywiley

Known Member
9/5/12
I don't think the rep will have any "liquidmetal" in it. What we're trying to achieve is a 95% look alike. As long as the materials the rep uses can somewhat accurately minmic the "look" of it, it should sell well.

That's what I meant. It seems like there is the ability to make a good look alike that's all. I don't expect them to come up with new manufacturing techniques just for one watch.

goonx

Known Member
18/4/12
That's what I meant. It seems like there is the ability to make a good look alike that's all. I don't expect them to come up with new manufacturing techniques just for one watch.

For sure..... people don't give these rep makers enough credits IMO.

Reliable movement (somewhat), Super rep quality, development costs, parts, labour, buying the gen in some cases, manufacturing techniques and all for $300 watch.

They make tons of money for sure but quite a feat to achieve that level of success with some of these ultra-reps.

Yep. The Chinese can't rep it effectively, IMO. Which is a good thing.

I don't know about that.. some of these ultra-reps are 99.9% gen-like. The new JLC diver looks like a pretty damn good rep for it's first production run. I think what you're saying is they might take a couple of tries before getting it right which i agree. However, maybe they just "screw-up" on purpose to make you buy the different versions. Apple does it all the time - leave things out to make you want to buy the next gen.

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09

No props to Swatch, they bought the tech ... Props to the guys who invented it! Lol

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
Apple made waves when they bought the rights, but no apple products that I know of have been released with it...

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Ugh. Why couldn't this have been started 2 months ago...

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
i have something liquid for u banchs

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
i have something liquid for u banchs

Awwwwwwwwww....

Puppy14.jpg

Wish you didn't live so far away, you'd be a trip to hang out with... :)

sunnydale

29/8/09
Why this happens when I am cutting my collection to 2 pieces, why!

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
that is a nice style doggy

:picard:

Is nothing sacred with Pec? No, not even an innocent puppy with a milk mustache.

The sad thing is he makes me feel normal. :lol1:

Holy crap.... I just found the ratchet I was looking for this afternoon, just sitting on my desk. Maybe I should clean my desk more often....

PecMan

4/5/09
i think ur signatures are allways the best bro

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Just spoke to Toro Bravo and he says the Liquidmetal rep should be available in 1-2 weeks. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

That being said, what's better to look like liquidmetal than liquidmetal itself.

Just to be clear guys, I know it's just semantics but it's the new ceramic 8500 PO they are repping, nothing to do with liquid metal....before we all go off naming it the new LM_PO_V1_UPO or something like that. :D
The liquid metal stuff is only on a few select watches by Omega, the old 2500 cal limited edition, the new 8500 blue version and some titanium version.

The standard new 8500 calibre black and orange PO is just a plain jane ceramic bezel as even Omega don't have the production process nailed down yet to produce LM bezels in all the POs.

The factories aren't even thinking about the word LM, the rep will be based on the standard ceramic bezel PO. ....In fairness it shouldn't be too hard, they have tons of experience of ceramic bezels from other models, shouldn't be too much of an issue. The interesting part will be the dial (superlume?) logos/pearl and the displayback! ....and hopefully they fixed the crown/tube issue out of the box this time! ;)