• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Lets look at this interesting 16610

wisedennis

Looking for : NWBIG PAM, Noob Pam, DSN, pm me
Certified
11/11/22
CONUS USA
Over a month on, and this watch keeps really good time (the VR3135) and has not needed any adjustment.
The old 2836 on the other hand, is way out - 10 mins per day or something like that! I could try and regulate it, but haven't got round to it yet. I should take all your advice and get some tools to help with that.
Do you still have the watch? Any new updates or changes?

HulkyGalore

Supporter
Certified
15/12/22
UK
Do you still have the watch? Any new updates or changes?
Thanks for asking wisedennis, I have worn it more than most others since finishing it, time keeping is great, and it has caused a few conversations too!

For some reason, I like it a lot despite having some other "better" watches. I got the bracelet edges finished with some fine papers and it feels good, sized perfectly after some playing around with different pin positions. I changed the clasp and the pip/insert too, since last posting a picture. Not bad for a 20 year old watch with new insides!

I am still puzzled about the crystal wondering if it is a genuine one due to the "S" in the etched crown. Doesn't really matter, part of the history of it.

Here it what it looks like at the moment:

HaK7jk.jpeg

HaKx6R.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: wisedennis

wisedennis

Certified
11/11/22
CONUS USA
Thanks for asking wisedennis, I have worn it more than most others since finishing it, time keeping is great, and it has caused a few conversations too!

For some reason, I like it a lot despite having some other "better" watches. I got the bracelet edges finished with some fine papers and it feels good, sized perfectly after some playing around with different pin positions. I changed the clasp and the pip/insert too, since last posting a picture. Not bad for a 20 year old watch with new insides!

I am still puzzled about the crystal wondering if it is a genuine one due to the "S" in the etched crown. Doesn't really matter, part of the history of it.

Here it what it looks like at the moment:

HaK7jk.jpeg

HaKx6R.jpeg
Perhaps a gen service crystal ? 👍🏽

HulkyGalore

Supporter
Certified
15/12/22
UK
This watch has been great, but I noticed that I have to wind it more often than expected. Having thought the VR movement might have a non optimal mainspring or some other issue, I only just realised when shaking the watch in a quiet room, that there is friction between the rotor and the caseback. It must be the thin spacer I used to centralise the stem in the case! So I will see if I can improve the clearance, maybe by using a thicker seal before sanding metal... I should have considered the simple things first!!!

ronin007

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
8/10/12
Kent England
Regarding the conversion to gen bezel construction. This really interests me. Can you tell me more about it? Is it a risk that mine might not fit a gen (or gen type, ideally cheaper!) bezel? I don't know if mine is a late model being 5 years earlier than that one. Cheers!

I wouldn't think an early MBW 16610 could be converted to gen bezel construction. You could buy a 25-295 C2 crystal- say from Clark's and see if it works on the case with the gasket tight and firm. Then you have to find the crystal retention ring, the flat washer, the click spring and finally the bezel itself. Startime Supply has the parts as does WSO990. But getting the aftermarket parts to match up and fit is a job in and of itself. It might be easier to just buy a RAF 16610 and go from there.
Don't know if AliExpress has decent 16610 cases with gen like const. You might look there.
I’m going to try this with the old mbw I have , think it’s a 2008 ish model , works like a dream and took a gen insert
I’ve got a new Clarke’s crystal for it ,

HulkyGalore

Supporter
Certified
15/12/22
UK
I’m going to try this with the old mbw I have , think it’s a 2008 ish model , works like a dream and took a gen insert
I’ve got a new Clarke’s crystal for it ,
It would be good to see this = and to compare your 2008 to this 2004 one. Cheers!

HulkyGalore

Supporter
Certified
15/12/22
UK
Regarding the case back restricting the rotor, I had expected to see obvious marks but I couldn't.
I used a sharpie to coat the inside of the case back in various places. I started with the outer rim, no rubbing. Then the inside conical bit but nothing. Finally I coated the flat inner case back and I saw a small amount of circular scratches in the region of the 16610 marking. See the 2nd picture.

I really don't want to polish the case back and affect the printing so I am considering getting the rotor off and removing some material from that. Hopefully it is easy to remove. I actually have a spare SH3135 that I swapped out from another watch as it kept stopping, maybe I should try that rotor just in case it works, before sanding.

HtPSS8.jpeg

HtPbeK.jpeg

wisedennis

Certified
11/11/22
CONUS USA
Regarding the case back restricting the rotor, I had expected to see obvious marks but I couldn't.
I used a sharpie to coat the inside of the case back in various places. I started with the outer rim, no rubbing. Then the inside conical bit but nothing. Finally I coated the flat inner case back and I saw a small amount of circular scratches in the region of the 16610 marking. See the 2nd picture.

I really don't want to polish the case back and affect the printing so I am considering getting the rotor off and removing some material from that. Hopefully it is easy to remove. I actually have a spare SH3135 that I swapped out from another watch as it kept stopping, maybe I should try that rotor just in case it works, before sanding.

HtPSS8.jpeg

HtPbeK.jpeg

have you been playing with this sub recently?

HulkyGalore

Supporter
Certified
15/12/22
UK
have you been playing with this sub recently?
Wisedennis, sorry I took so long to reply!

I ended up sanding the rotor with fine papers to create more clearance which solved the issue and now it doesn't need winding. I took the rotor off to do this using fine emery paper (400, the 1000 to smooth it off) on a very flat surface. I also took some material off at the edges where the angle is but not much. It would have been easier to remove metal from the inside of the caseback, but the words "Made in Gelena Shitnerand" have a charm and sense of fun that I don't want to lose, even though they are not visible!

I still wear this watch a lot despite having a lot of "better" ones and a few people have asked me what year is it from, I always say 2004 because it is the truth :)

Reactions: wisedennis

wisedennis

Certified
11/11/22
CONUS USA
Wisedennis, sorry I took so long to reply!

I ended up sanding the rotor with fine papers to create more clearance which solved the issue and now it doesn't need winding. I took the rotor off to do this using fine emery paper (400, the 1000 to smooth it off) on a very flat surface. I also took some material off at the edges where the angle is but not much. It would have been easier to remove metal from the inside of the caseback, but the words "Made in Gelena Shitnerand" have a charm and sense of fun that I don't want to lose, even though they are not visible!

I still wear this watch a lot despite having a lot of "better" ones and a few people have asked me what year is it from, I always say 2004 because it is the truth :)

That’s honest and sarcastic 👍🏽