• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JDF just launched a tungsten gold rolex day date with correct gold weight

fall1n1

Registered Flex Offender
Supporter
Certified
30/1/21
UK / Singapore
This is absolutely groundbreaking. Last I heard the CNC factory which works with tungsten only did Daytona cases. Sign me up to test out one of these asap!

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
Very interesting indeed. Hopefully they'll be offered with a variety of different dials to choose from.

wNe

O.G.
27/11/11
Interesting. But first they need to rep a full clone daydate movement like they did with SA4130, 3235 etc

Reactions: Yogibear

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Interesting. But first they need to rep a full clone daydate movement like they did with SA4130, 3235 etc

Shown here advertised with a VR3255, but it's clearly a 2836 with deco plates

zorsrL.jpg

Last edited:

iskillio

12/9/14
This is a breakthrough. Curious about their price.

My guy this the rep game, lower your dose of hopium. The movement being falsely advertised is a good example of why I don't get excited. Who knows maybe just the case is made with it and the bracelet is still shitty, rattley stainless.

I'll believe it when I see it, also the longevity of the coating,etc withe copper tungsten hybrid.

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
My guy this the rep game, lower your dose of hopium. The movement being falsely advertised is a good example of why I don't get excited. Who knows maybe just the case is made with it and the bracelet is still shitty, rattley stainless.

I'll believe it when I see it, also the longevity of the coating,etc withe copper tungsten hybrid.
Not just the longevity also how the skin reacts to the compounds here

dogwood

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/21
Canada
This is an interesting development indeed. Tungsten-Copper (W80-Cu20) has a density of 15.15g/cm3, which is tantalizingly close to 18k gold at 15.4g/cm3 (assuming it’s Au75-Cu12.5-Ag12.5), and WAY higher than 904L stainless steel at 7.9g/cm3.

DrGran

7/3/17
Ultima Thule
Its density, similar to that of gold, allows tungsten to be used in jewelry as an alternative to gold or platinum. Metallic tungsten is hypoallergenic, and is harder than gold alloys (though not as hard as tungsten carbide), making it useful for rings that will resist scratching, especially in designs with a brushed finish.

Because the density is so similar to that of gold (tungsten is only 0.36% less dense), and its price of the order of one-thousandth, tungsten can also be used in counterfeiting of gold bars, such as by plating a tungsten bar with gold, which has been observed since the 1980s, or taking an existing gold bar, drilling holes, and replacing the removed gold with tungsten rods. The densities are not exactly the same, and other properties of gold and tungsten differ, but gold-plated tungsten will pass superficial tests.

Gold-plated tungsten is available commercially from China (the main source of tungsten), both in jewelry and as bars.

iskillio

12/9/14
This is an interesting development indeed. Tungsten-Copper (W80-Cu20) has a density of 15.15g/cm3, which is tantalizingly close to 18k gold at 15.4g/cm3 (assuming it’s Au75-Cu12.5-Ag12.5), and WAY higher than 904L stainless steel at 7.9g/cm3.
So after talking to my TD about the watch. They said it is real but it weighs 135g. Lol that's the same as the stainless one. A solid gold daydate would be in the 220+ gram range.

molivio

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/10/15
Have a hard time believing that . The cost and effort to produce would be higher which at the same weight would produce no extra value

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
Been wanting a new DayDate 36mm or 40mm. This is an interesting development. I look forward to a 3155/3255 movement in the future. Hooefully they don't end up being $1K though lol

Yogibear

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/19
Its density, similar to that of gold, allows tungsten to be used in jewelry as an alternative to gold or platinum. Metallic tungsten is hypoallergenic, and is harder than gold alloys (though not as hard as tungsten carbide), making it useful for rings that will resist scratching, especially in designs with a brushed finish.

Because the density is so similar to that of gold (tungsten is only 0.36% less dense), and its price of the order of one-thousandth, tungsten can also be used in counterfeiting of gold bars, such as by plating a tungsten bar with gold, which has been observed since the 1980s, or taking an existing gold bar, drilling holes, and replacing the removed gold with tungsten rods. The densities are not exactly the same, and other properties of gold and tungsten differ, but gold-plated tungsten will pass superficial tests.

Gold-plated tungsten is available commercially from China (the main source of tungsten), both in jewelry and as bars.

It depends on the composite. If it's a 75-90W then sure you can match weight but guaranteed it's a 50W composite.

Toomanyrolex

29/5/12
the problem often is the color - every yellow gold day date or sub i've seen the yg looks like someone went over it with a highlighter

Reactions: DrGran