• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is Panerai Dead? Repwise

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
Just not seeing any real progress in repping desirable Pams. Seems like that’s been the trend for the last few years. Anything in the horizon?

DJ16013

Bettarini Case Fanatic
Supporter
Certified
8/8/11
EU - Italy
Rolex killed the market atm.
We will be back!

At least we have HWF (poor quality compared to old factories but decent price/q ratio) and VSF (see the newly announced 1024)

Reactions: Slayter7

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
Rolex killed the market atm.
We will be back!

At least we have HWF (poor quality compared to old factories but decent price/q ratio) and VSF (see the newly announced 1024)
That 1024 the most exciting release in over 5 years tbh. Hopefully, they give us more of what we like.

DJ16013

Bettarini Case Fanatic
Supporter
Certified
8/8/11
EU - Italy
What I fear is a sort of vicious circle where we (the demand) don't buy Panerai for the lack of quality and offer and them (the suppliers) don't make investment in Panerai because of the lack of demand... that's why I try to encourage people to buy HWF products

Reactions: Slayter7

DJ16013

Bettarini Case Fanatic
Supporter
Certified
8/8/11
EU - Italy
Is not that Panerai (GEN) is in freefall in the market. In 2023 they were the still 18th swiss brand by value. But yes, declining from an honourable 14th position when Bonati was still CEO.
Is more the repositioning as an "everyday watch" that failed. I mean, the due, the submerisble line... but still they have the same hardcore fans interested in historical models.

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
Is not that Panerai (GEN) is in freefall in the market. In 2023 they were the still 18th swiss brand by value. But yes, declining from an honourable 14th position when Bonati was still CEO.
Is more the repositioning as an "everyday watch" that failed. I mean, the due, the submerisble line... but still they have the same hardcore fans interested in historical models.
My Hope is just they bring back the good historical models. They don’t have to reinvent the wheel.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Schwarzenegger and, more so, Stallone, brought Panerai on the world-wide map. For years, it was the "it" watch. That's no longer the case and folks are moving back to smaller watches and have done so for a while.

I personally like the vintage Panerais (3646, 6152/1, etc.) and the pre-V and some extent pre-A models. Few Panerais after that inspired me, the Bronzo being one of them. Another "problem" are the in-house movements combined with display backs. I like the Cortebert and ETA days where it was easy to service Panerais. The in-house-movements are not being replicated properly and are a service nightmare.

My advice, buy one or two of the Panerais of the past you like best, the Noob Series 1 111 comes to mind, and cherish them. Ten years from now, everyone and their dog will beg you to sell it to them. The others . . . not so much.

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
The in-house-movements are not being replicated properly and are a service nightmare.
Yes, rep panerai go down hill ever since panerai develop their own movement.
With people wanting smaller size panerai nowadays, clone p900 is badly needed.

patnaboy

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/3/12
I don't think the factories will ever go back and release the old time pam grails. Even for new models, we will likely see very slow progress from the factories. There is just too big of a market for Rolexes, APs and even Omega. Its likely not worth it for them. I am doing my best to hang on to my pam grails as I know I wont see them released again.

Opawlows85

Known Member
12/4/12
Exactly the reason the many of the old school highly sought after models rarely pop up for sale on the main sales boards......majority are being held because we know that we won't be seeing anything like them again and way too difficult to reacquire should you want to!

Most are traded behind the scenes amongst members that have been around for a while and have built up some solid connections and reputations!

Reactions: TheWatchGuy2

flopaklopp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/2/24
If factories could maybe stick to producing v3 or v4 of the latest sub, they'd have plenty of time to squeeze out a decent pam once in a while.

oldboyz

Known Member
28/3/22
overcrowded rolex... may be in future some factories with too much stock will realize they have to go back to other demands from niche brands ?

Woundup

YNWA
Patron
Certified
9/12/18
I hate to be a pessimist - though I think we are watching the Panerai rep market die a slow death. The golden days of Panerai reps were when factories had to compete with one another to produce the best possible version to win market share - due to strong demand, when Panerai was still 'in tune' with its identity. This resulted in some truly stunning NWBIG Panerai reps from Noob, SF, HF, VSF etc. I just don't see this happening again - just look at the diminished popularity of the Panerai section here compared with the Rolex section. The factories are not blind.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
This thread is depressing. I fear the golden age of panerai is passed, replica and genuine. As said by others, I hold on to my unobtainium pieces for now even if they don't get much wrist time because I know there's not much of the same caliper forthcoming.

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Well, VS is still churning out Panerai, they've released the 42mm submersibles, 44mm navy seals variants, some Due models, the 44mm 1024, even the 40mm Radiomir (wild)

Of course they're not hyper accurate, but we just have to take what we can get.

I'm hoping for a moderately good Panerai chrono replica preferably with the ST19 similar to the XF 520. still waiting...

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
If you want a great classic Panerai your best bet will be to be a hawk on the M2M sales. I myself regret selling some of my submersibles. Thankfully I still have my 372 which has been with me for a decade. I've never polished the plexi just to keep the look true to it's age. The one I regret selling was a 187 with the 7753. Kick myself forever on that one.