• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is Panerai Dead? Repwise

BobClod

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
Certified
11/1/24
I like Panerai too, but the old ones with the ETA movements. Simple, clean, interesting (to me, but not anyone else). I have a Rolex Wimbledon rep, and while I like it, I don’t really like the attention it gets. With Panerai, rep or gen, if people notice it, I say “It’s a Panerai”, and that’s the end of the conversation.

Too bad I just got into reps, I missed all the Panerai good stuff.

Slayter7

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/6/23
Austria
yea, not fan of clone movement P9000. 2 bad experiences with it : local watchmaker can't do anything.
Hi, what bad experiences did you have? I am also late for the Panerai REP party but still, got one VSF with clone P900 which still runs really good since almost two month's and recently got a HWF 177 with an Eta/Unitas clone movement which is just wow! 61h power reserve and +3sec/day (really stable, not depending on winding status) having almost 300 amplitude using 44 lift angle - just wow! Next one will be definately a classic Bettarini manual wind one :)
Can not compare to Noob but still very impressed with the HWF quality.

centrum

27/7/14
Sad, but this is the reality. Panerai needs to go back to the design language that brought them to success and the Chinese people need to start buying them again.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
I don't think there's any going back to the old days.

Panerai used to be a niche manufacturer for a long time. Then came Hollywood and with it the move to larger watches. Now Hollywood moved to AP, PP and RM, among others, and we all are discovering smaller watches again. Panerai tried to hop on the wagon, but it's a failure equal to making a small HumVee. People were in awe with the Governator driving his monsters, but the mini Hummer is for posers. Blancpain discovered the same: everybody liked their 50 Fathoms and said "if they ever make it in 22mm . . . "
Well they did, and nobody is buying it. They don't because it's a mismatch. A HumVee is a big monster. A Panerai is a big watch. A 50 Fathoms is 45mm in diameter, and a G-Shock is big as well.

So what do we take from this?
If you have an older Rolex or ETA-powered Panerai, keep it or sell it. With a few exceptions, such as the Bronzo models, the rest of the bunch, especially those with the in-house movements, will find very little interest as time moves on.

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
yea, not fan of clone movement P9000. 2 bad experiences with it : local watchmaker can't do anything.
I just bought a pam 1313 and it was running great when I order it just +-3sec. And it was Dead on arrival to my door. Unfortunately no one here can work on it so I had to send it back and take a risk. I think this may be my last panerai with rep movement. Like you said no one can work on it here in the states and or most watch makers are busy and booked till October or end of the year. I am happy I got my Noob 111 and Noob 911 which I love and easy movement swap and fix if needed. If I do get another Panerai it will be with the OLD Trusted Movement as some call it the ETA Clone.

Qatar974

16/11/18
Qatar
Intresting topic,
I love panerai as a brand, It's been a while since I wore any panerai apart from my pam687.
I think the brand has changed completly and lost it's original identity.
Smaller and slimmer watches is the way panerai is moving towards.
I don't feel the same wearing panerai anymore because of how the brand changed.

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
The main reason is that the Chinese market is much less hot for Panerai compared to before,Thankfully VSF has been around, though not as selective as it used to be.
Yes, the CN marked dictates demand. However, VSF quality is nowhere near as great as they were pre raids. Same with Omegas. VSF made superb Omegas and PAMs before being closed down. The consumer are picky now and only wants the best -and are willing to pay that added $100 or $200 for quality. Im happy I got in early. I regret not ordering more. I miss the old VSF.

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
I think street/rap culture has had a huge influence for their preference to AP, Rolex and Patek.