• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is Panerai Dead? Repwise

Naths63

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/5/20
Even when Panerai were at the height of their popularity you would very rarely see one out and about..gen or rep!…still the best brand out there, and I’ll still keep collecting them, I haven’t a big collection (12), but I have a few rare ones…love them all ..and when I put a 682 next to a 40/41mm Submariner..my god they are women’s watches!!!…and no other brand will ever have the strap culture!!!..that’s a world of its own!!..keep making them VSF, HWF…always a buyer here..

Naths63

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/5/20
Whoops…meant 382…lol..even the 682 is a proper 42mm size…

pm-guy

Supporter
Certified
10/5/14
Exactly the reason the many of the old school highly sought after models rarely pop up for sale on the main sales boards......majority are being held because we know that we won't be seeing anything like them again and way too difficult to reacquire should you want to!

Most are traded behind the scenes amongst members that have been around for a while and have built up some solid connections and reputations!

Exactly my same thoughts!
Holding to a few even though they are not getting any wrist time...

Reactions: @(^_^)@ and Rx4Time

samsoniteman

Supporter
Certified
2/6/23
US
If you want a great classic Panerai your best bet will be to be a hawk on the M2M sales. I myself regret selling some of my submersibles. Thankfully I still have my 372 which has been with me for a decade. I've never polished the plexi just to keep the look true to it's age. The one I regret selling was a 187 with the 7753. Kick myself forever on that one.
Which factory version 372 do you have? Hunting for a good 372 rep was what brought me to RWI... 20+ OTHER reps later (LOL!) I ended up getting an "SF" version of the 372 which I'm quite happy with.

372 and the 127 still get regular wrist time.

Reactions: @(^_^)@

granvino

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/4/11
The downfall started with the lack -or loss- of interest at the gen market. I remember the Paneristi exodus; all the main collectors even sold some of their watches ...cheap ( I regret not buying a 000 G series in mint condition for $3K). The Perezcope articles, while criticized at first, showed how Richemont reinvented -fraudulently- some of the brand's history. In short, then the rep factories shifted to concentrate on Rolex. Especially Noob. H Factory never recovered from a large raid and some of the others did not continue production of new models or simply disappeared. Also, the products of guys like Rollie, FDG, wOlf, among others, ceased to come up to market. The PreV and PreA era was the classic modern Panerai period. There was never a factory (except DSN) that concentrated on these models. I guess those are the watches I miss most, especially my 201a....

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
The downfall started with the lack -or loss- of interest at the gen market. I remember the Paneristi exodus; all the main collectors even sold some of their watches ...cheap ( I regret not buying a 000 G series in mint condition for $3K). The Perezcope articles, while criticized at first, showed how Richemont reinvented -fraudulently- some of the brand's history. In short, then the rep factories shifted to concentrate on Rolex. Especially Noob. H Factory never recovered from a large raid and some of the others did not continue production of new models or simply disappeared. Also, the products of guys like Rollie, FDG, wOlf, among others, ceased to come up to market. The PreV and PreA era was the classic modern Panerai period. There was never a factory (except DSN) that concentrated on these models. I guess those are the watches I miss most, especially my 201a....
god I had a beautiful 201a fatty crown southy dial and case I had reshaped that sold back in 2015😞

Thewatchwolf

Renowned Member
1/3/15
CONUS
IMO there is no mass market desire for Pams anymore which is reflected in what you are seeing within the replica market. Gone are the days of factories releasing new versions of Pams fixing old flaws. You’re only going to see that from now on with Rolex and Patek

mt666tm

Renowned Member
2/2/10
I too had a 201a and 202a with FGD dials lumed and matted by Ziggy on Mario Paci straps (shark and tan)... wtf was I thinking to sell them 🤦‍♂️

I remember Little Hero CG's, those were plump and juicy.

granvino

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/4/11
I too had a 201a and 202a with FGD dials lumed and matted by Ziggy on Mario Paci straps (shark and tan)... wtf was I thinking to sell them 🤦‍♂️

I remember Little Hero CG's, those were plump and juicy.
Exactly! WTF....

Reactions: mt666tm

granvino

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/4/11
Look at my avatar.... wOlf case and fatty CG, Rollie dial/hands, Swiss movements+Dirk 2nd generation strap w/insignia buckle

DrGran

7/3/17
Ultima Thule
I am going a little of topic. Officine Panerai (also known simply as Panerai) is an Italian luxury watch manufacturer. Is any part of present day PANERAI watches actually Italian made or assembeled?

DJ16013

Bettarini Case Fanatic
Supporter
Certified
8/8/11
EU - Italy
I am going a little of topic. Officine Panerai (also known simply as Panerai) is an Italian luxury watch manufacturer. Is any part of present day PANERAI watches actually Italian made or assembeled?
Zero Italy involved since pre-A models sadly.
At least until 2018 the Ceo appointed by Richemont was italian.
But then he retired. The only piece of italy on the watches is the text as "8 Giorni". But sounds like "Parmesan" to me...

Reactions: DrGran

locvs

Supporter
Certified
7/12/20
Germany
Well...
Nothing exciting coming out from Panerai. The trend goes toward slimmer smaller watches and Panerai looks best in 44mm or 47mm. 40 or 42mm PAMs just don't do it for the fans of the brand. And the design is just not something that apeals to the broad masses.

Also as Steve pointed - Panerai is in very little demand on the domestic market. Otherwise we would have gotten a p900 clone years ago. It's quote a simple movement and seeing the current quality and finishing of gen...

Anyways - enjoy your nice vintage pieces. Or sell them to me :)

EM9

Watch Acquisition Disorder
Supporter
Certified
7/8/18
28.3772° N, 81.5707° W

And then you have this…

Yeah Boi Flava Flav GIF by Recording Academy / GRAMMYs