• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

If you could only have ONE Rolex, what would it be?

mrln

25/11/20
EU
Most likely a 14060. 2 liner.

Rolex_Submariner_14060_5D3_7925-2-Edit-3.jpg
Exactly this one! 👆🏻 And it has to be that insert! I love those slightly serifs on the numbers! :love:
Simultaneously the watch I'm really working on to get it as gen!

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Any gold GMT 116718 or 126718

Interesting to see how many chose a SS Sub & SS Sub-Date. The gens aren't that expensive. The 5 digit Sub-Dates can be had easily for $8k nowadays.
I agree, but sometimes you can't beat the classics in terms of design.

Zeta7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/11/23
Any gold GMT 116718 or 126718

Interesting to see how many chose a SS Sub & SS Sub-Date. The gens aren't that expensive. The 5 digit Sub-Dates can be had easily for $8k nowadays.
I’ve seen those prices too but would you buy you a Rolex online and pay $8k knowing what you know about reps and Frankensteins? We’re talking about a watch that has been around between 15-35 years. Those $8k watches were gotten rid of for a reason. Most likely because they are worn out. The brand new $500 rep looks pretty good when you take everything into consideration. Just my humble opinion

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I’ve seen those prices too but would you buy you a Rolex online and pay $8k knowing what you know about reps and Frankensteins? We’re talking about a watch that has been around between 15-35 years. Those $8k watches were gotten rid of for a reason. Most likely because they are worn out. The brand new $500 rep looks pretty good when you take everything into consideration. Just my humble opinion
I take what you're saying onboard. So do you think that these lower priced examples can be serviced to being them back to their former glory including the movement? Obviously that comes at a cost.

mmaggi

Renowned Member
17/2/22
New York, USA
Well for me I wouldn't buy one. I have a CF 116610LN and it satisfies my urge. I'd rather purchase a gen GMT or Daytona. But if the mindset is to purchase a 116610 or 16610 rep in hopes of one day owning the same version in a gen, then now would be a good time to pick one up.

Reactions: Got20Mate and Zeta7

mmaggi

Renowned Member
17/2/22
New York, USA
And one more thing. That's exactly what I did: I purchased a GEN 14 year old 16710 Pepsi on the cheap and sent to the Roly spa. I got back a brand new watch. I strongly suggest to do just that when purchasing a used gen. Find the most beat up one on the cheap and send it in for a spa treatment. You won't regret it.

And to that point, a really beat up 16610LN that's about 20 years old can be had between $6k-$7k.

Reactions: Got20Mate

Zeta7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/11/23
I take what you're saying onboard. So do you think that these lower priced examples can be serviced to being them back to their former glory including the movement? Obviously that comes at a cost.
I think it’s a hell of a gamble. There’s too much unknown about what you’re buying. You layout 8k and hope it doesn’t get confiscated by Rolex or your bill doesn’t get run up to the stratosphere. If you can’t buy new from the AD with it being registered to you don’t buy at all. They’re watches not investment property. Sure some people made some serious coin in the past several years but I wouldn’t look for that to be something that continues. The truth is most people can’t afford what Rolex has done with their prices. The ones who can don’t spend their money like that. Guys making house and car payments should think about what they’re doing. Just my humble opinion

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
I think it’s a hell of a gamble. There’s too much unknown about what you’re buying. You layout 8k and hope it doesn’t get confiscated by Rolex or your bill doesn’t get run up to the stratosphere. If you can’t buy new from the AD with it being registered to you don’t buy at all. They’re watches not investment property. Sure some people made some serious coin in the past several years but I wouldn’t look for that to be something that continues. The truth is most people can’t afford what Rolex has done with their prices. The ones who can don’t spend their money like that. Guys making house and car payments should think about what they’re doing. Just my humble opinion
Forgive my ignorance, and hear this in the right way as I appreciate your input and insight, but why would it get confiscated? I have always been tempted to purchase around the 7-8k mark on used watches with papers, reputability on the seller being key of course.

Reactions: mmaggi

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19

Thats complete BS, most Rolex'es sold each year are used and a minority are brand new from AD.

I have had several gens and have currently two subs, all purchased used, some with b&p and some without, recently laid out almost 20k for a used hulk from Chrono24, what would have been too much unknown about that? The watch was recently serviced in AD and never worn after that so it was mint with some service stickers still on.

Also keep in mind if you send your watch for a service with the AD the parts are all cheap, not like the ones we buy from other sources for very high prices.

You make it sound like a black market shady business but in reality most dealers want to have high reputation, offer good watches and good service so people would come back. It's a business like any other where your reputation matters.

Got20Mate

Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Thats complete BS, most Rolex'es sold each year are used and a minority are brand new from AD.

I have had several gens and have currently two subs, all purchased used, some with b&p and some without, recently laid out almost 20k for a used hulk from Chrono24, what would have been too much unknown about that? The watch was recently serviced in AD and never worn after that so it was mint with some service stickers still on.

Also keep in mind if you send your watch for a service with the AD the parts are all cheap, not like the ones we buy from other sources for very high prices.

You make it sound like a black market shady business but in reality most dealers want to have high reputation, offer good watches and good service so people would come back. It's a business like any other where your reputation matters.
Helpful, kind of what I was thinking especially from second hand dealers that have been trading for decades.

Zeta7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
9/11/23

You’re absolutely right, it’s a business. They have real bills, real salaries, commissions, taxes, and real accountants to pay. If you’re happy with what you’re getting for your money that’s all that matters. Like I said guys who are making house and car payments should really think about what they’re doing. We’re on a replica watch forum so I figure most guys can’t afford to drop $8k on a watch. If you think my message is complete bull shit that’s fine. No sweat off my testicles. Go buy you a watch, knock out that car payment, and don’t miss any because they will come and get it. At least you’ll know the exact time you screwed up.

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
You’re absolutely right, it’s a business. They have real bills, real salaries, commissions, taxes, and real accountants to pay. If you’re happy with what you’re getting for your money that’s all that matters. Like I said guys who are making house and car payments should really think about what they’re doing. We’re on a replica watch forum so I figure most guys can’t afford to drop $8k on a watch. If you think my message is complete bull shit that’s fine. No sweat off my testicles. Go buy you a watch, knock out that car payment, and don’t miss any because they will come and get it. At least you’ll know the exact time you screwed up.

I only replied because I thought your comment will mislead other members who might at some point be venturing to the gen territory. Its completely misleading to say only buy brand new from AD or don't buy at all as otherwise you never know what you're getting.

For 8k I think today you can get 5 digit retail ready sub with b&p from a reputable dealer and there is nothing unknown about that. A year ago I bought a 5 digit SD (retail ready meaning polished, serviced, brand new insert and etc) for 9k via Chrono24. The dealer had sold thousands of watches there and I actually ended up buying it directly from them without the Chrono fee so had no Chrono protection and the dealer was from another country as well and sent the watch by DHL.

I agree with you that yes buying a watch with payments is not a good idea but if that makes you happy then go for it although the wearing experience can be stressful and worrisome I assume.

I didn't buy the hulk with payments I traded it with another sub + cash from my side my car is not leased also) so at least in my eyes I got my dream watch that I'm planning to never sell and am very happy about it for years to come.

How did I screwed up?

When I joined RWI in 2019 I had lost almost everything in my life (nearly my life as well) and sold my gen quartz Seamaster so I could afford to buy my first 2 reps, it was the best decision in my life at that time. RWI and reps carried me through that dark period. Just wanted to add this so that people know where I'm coming from and I'm not a rich snob who always has had lot of money to spend on stuff.

Sumo86

8/1/23
Uk
Car payments I'll never understand.

Go buy a 4yo version of the one you want with a little loan or use some interest free credit cards. Use the £8k you'll save over 5-8yrs to buy a gen (or a franken once a year, or an AD rep once a month 🤣)

• Haha