• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I spent 23 months in SE Asia ...

Prosperity888

15/3/12
Hahaha! Quite motivated by your words already. I'll give it a try during my next visit to the Peninsular. Thanks boss!

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Another suggestion the guy had for me: if you walk around with a high-end rep people will know instantly what you're looking for. I never thought about that.

Prosperity888

15/3/12
Yes I guess its pretty true, unless the dealer knows how to differentiate that is. Occasionally, watch sellers in my state do not know how to spot a good high quality rep. Most of them only deal in big volumes of cheap inaccurate ones.

ippykaye

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/7/11
Wow guys, that's an awesome pickup you've got there! Seems like the good old days in HK, where there were the rubbish 21Js and Quartz Folexes on display to tempt tourists and the good stuff/AA stock etc. was kept in converted apartments cum showrooms or in lockboxes.

ippykaye

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/7/11
I posted this in Rooster's thread but thought I'd add it here- thanks to rooster133 and XXXX's contacts, I managed to get hold of the KL dealer at the 11th hour.

I'm from HK so spoke Cantonese which made wheeling and dealing a little easier but as mentioned, there isn't that much room to move compared to the TDs. Some watches are slightly more expensive than the TDs, mainly as he has to import it into KL and then offset the cost of bringing it in.

Overall i saved a little bit, but as was mentioned above, nothing beats doing the QC with your own eyes and hands and being able to try things on like you would in an AD's shop. I saved the most on low-end reps like quartz Cartiers/Tags for friends as he had more room to move on those cf to TDs. However, the higher-end stuff I bought was about the same price after conversion but obviously no shipping costs etc. I had the TD websites up on my iphone to compare prices so I wouldn't let myself get carried away.

In the end, a wonderful experience and a bit of knowledge gleaned on how the whole operation works. The prices you see on the TD's sites are essentially as good as it gets. Obviously, you can't put a value on the 'try-on' factor and on the same token, nothing beats sitting in front of your computer slowly going through the TD's websites and looking at gen/rep pics etc. but overall, a fun experience.

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
I will be in KL from Friday, but am still uncertain how to find this guy as the facebook thingie didn't work out for me ... I guess I can just go down to Petaling St. and see what I can come up with

krispee

1/5/12
wow, that is some collection, love the JLC Tourby and the Cartier [is that a Tourby too?], the IWC`s, Glashutte, the Patek....i must admit to liking the more complicated watches myself but your collection is an amazing one......
plus i love some of the straps, the hornback on the JLC must have been pricey......
and you must have some spending power :shocked:

Kris

TastyTreats

Put Some Respect On My Name
21/5/12
Never Land
Amazing - I think I would go broke if I spent even a few months in asia.

Great Collection - one watch for every day of the quarter !

BENTY

Horology Curious
5/5/12
Awesome love your collection.
I went there last year wife thinks I only bought 2 .
NO bought 6 and have just got another 4 so far HAHAHA.
Love yours though

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
contacts are a wonderful thing ... I caught up with a friend who used to get us seasons of TV shows we wanted on DVD. Anyway her husband knew who to ask so I got taken from Plaza Low Yat, to Sungei Wong, then to a dress shop (yup) and at the back they had one cabinet with crap AND A+ only. Nothing in the middle ground. I asked why and was told the crap was for the cops and the high end stuff for his real customers. Classic. The Police arrived in the centre when I was there and it was comedy capers! All the shops simply shut and the owners walked away. The bush telegraph worked very well I have to say. as soon as they left, all the knockoff shops opened again and t was business as usual ... The selection was pretty nice so I will probably go back on Thursday and make a modest purchase. No one knew where to get AAA+ Montblanc pens unfortunately .... if any member here knows I'd love a contact.

The hunt goes on!