• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I spent 23 months in SE Asia ...

-XXXX-

Known Member
12/7/10
that's a huge advantage, getting stuff serviced cheap. How much does the servicing cost?

Never paid a penny, but I doubt they service your watch (intended as clean/lubricate, etc.) at all. In fact, I am starting to have my watches serviced here in the UK as we speak. My AP safari went in today...

However, whenever I had a "movement" problem they either fixed it on that actual watch (their preferred choice), or they swapped the whole movement for a working one.

I also had some other problems that were not movement related. For example I wasn't 100% happy with the DLC coating of an black AP marcus (you could see some micro spots on the cusp of the bracelet metal inserts). Obviously, you notice this stuff only after you have bought the watch ... so after 4/5 days of mental debate considering if I could live with the flaws or not (they were miniscule), I brought that back and swapped 1 for 1 with the Barrichello you see in the pics.

Again, having that peace of mind and the luxury of going back to the shop whenever you wanted was priceless for me ... and a gold mine for him. I always bought more!

chisin

Renowned Member
18/8/10
hey -XXXX-, are you gone for good, or are you coming back to KL? I think I know which dealer you are talking about if you had to go a "dingy air-conditioned container".... Haha.... don't know if you dealt with the same guy (mine was pudgy, with glasses), but I'd have to agree, being able to view the watches there prior to a purchase is priceless (but I'm still working my way to reducing his prices to TD levels - obviously, I haven't bought enough yet :( )

-XXXX-

Known Member
12/7/10
hey -XXXX-, are you gone for good, or are you coming back to KL? I think I know which dealer you are talking about if you had to go a "dingy air-conditioned container".... Haha.... don't know if you dealt with the same guy (mine was pudgy, with glasses), but I'd have to agree, being able to view the watches there prior to a purchase is priceless (but I'm still working my way to reducing his prices to TD levels - obviously, I haven't bought enough yet :( )

Gone for good unfortunately. Malaysia Airlines have a new CEO and a totally new BOD and... I am "associated"with the old one. You know how it works there!

Well, your description fits to a tee, so we might be talking about the same guy. As a matter of fact, they are the only ones selling high end reps in petaling, so it has to be the same crew.

I had a greeat time there, lived in Mont Kiara and myself and my wife miss it terribly. Mind you, I might be shipped to Hong Kong next....

audace

I'm Pretty Popular
10/2/11
Great collection, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to drop by soon since I live close by in Singapore. Mind sending me a PM regarding the exact location? Thanks & Cheers!

D

d4m.test

:thumbsup::thumbsup: VERY impressive collection -- AND boxes/winders! Obviously, it was time well spent! Enjoy them all and make sure you post wristies of the ones you wear, Xman!

dave

msusox80

4/1/11
I love the idea of having a sick watch box, and then picking your nicest piece and buying the Brands box for that one. Great looking collection.

PecMan

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/5/09
amazing thread , nice info in here , and what can i say about the watches? just
holy shit!

-XXXX-

Known Member
12/7/10
Great collection, thanks for sharing! Looking forward to drop by soon since I live close by in Singapore. Mind sending me a PM regarding the exact location? Thanks & Cheers!

If you go to Chiantown in Petaling Street ask to see the good quality stuff in the showroom. There are plenty of sellers (probably between 20-30 watch stands) but they are all owned by the same syndicates and only 1 crew has the showrooms (in a back alley around the area). My guy is also on FB (with pics of what he has available), so if you PM me your FB id I can ask him to add you as a friend... and you take it from there.

Remember, if you want close to TD prices you need to bargain real hard!

Indy1

Horology Curious
3/11/08
I love reps and own around 7. However it makes no sense (to me) to purchase so many reps, and some being close models of others. Why not just purchase gens? You mush have the cash. Gens are worth more if you resell, pass them down to family, more reliable, etc, etc. You must have around 20K tied up in reps.

Don't want to be negative, great collection, but I don't get it. Unless you are a dealer.

or some are for gifts, that would also make sense, esp. all those Pans that are the same.

arcadia

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/11
Welcome to my worlld -XXXX-. But I envy you, you have bought so many! :)

-XXXX-

Known Member
12/7/10
I love reps and own around 7. However it makes no sense (to me) to purchase so many reps, and some being close models of others. Why not just purchase gens? You mush have the cash. Gens are worth more if you resell, pass them down to family, more reliable, etc, etc. You must have around 20K tied up in reps.

Don't want to be negative, great collection, but I don't get it. Unless you are a dealer.

or some are for gifts, that would also make sense, esp. all those Pans that are the same.

First of all I am no dealer. Actually, I am pretty new to the hobby. Also, I am no watch virgin, and I do understand a fair bit about watches, their history and the engineering around it. But more than anything else I love the design (I am Italian afterall). When I saw the first rep tourbillon I almost p****d my pants (i know you can buy seagulls etc. but the design sucks).

Since a very early age I have been fascinated with watches (my father bought me my first watch when I was 5 and since then I have always worn a watch 24/7) and I have owned quite a few. At the moment, I own a dozen of gen watches (Rolex, Tudor, Tag, Omega, Oris, plus some high end sport ones like Seiko, Citizen, Casio and a couple of rare Swatches ), but since I have discovered the quality of the high end reps I have stopped wearing them. Some of these watches I haven't worn in years. Resale value means nothing to me, as I would never sell.

As you correctly stated, I would have the means to buy more gens. I travel a lot for business, and often I find myself spending all my "airport time" cruising the watch boutiques with the intention of picking up a good piece. However, every time (and I mean every single time), I cannot face paying $10 or $15K for one single piece that I might wear for a couple of months and then grow tired of it. Yes, I get easily bored.

Recently, I was after a Gen IWC BP and I almost pulled the trigger at Singapore Airport. I am glad I didn't because I got myself a nice enough rep (not the most accurate but ... pretty close) and I got an amazing deal on a gen buffalo leather strap (see IWC section for my post on this http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/...-leather-strap-gen-91484?p=900100#post-900100 ) ... and there you go. 98% of the design for 5% of the price. And when I grow bored of it... no problem, I'll move to the next!

The reps I bought are all (almost 99% of them) top range. They might not be 100% accurate but they are amazingly well built and engineered for the price paid (at least IMHO). What I like about them is the variety and choice. I wear a new watch every day, and often I wear more than 1 watch in a day.

Reps made me fulfil a dream that couldn't have happened otherwise.

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
You know, I think I know that shop too. Do they have little hiding places back in the showroom where they stash their high-end stuff? I remember once asking for a specific model and the guy pulled out a screwdriver and opened up a hidden section of the wall with a lady hidden behind it. It was hilarious. I think the best part about buying from these guys by the way is the fact that if the watch has any issue, it's a quick return and exchange. Worth the extra money IMO.

Indy1

Horology Curious
3/11/08
Thanks for detailed feedback. I also love the design as well. You might want to consider the following watches, Graham swordfish, Breitling evolution v3, Breitling b01 v3, Omega PO 45mm ultimate. Some of your Pans look identical though, if you like design why buy the same basic pan design over and over?

maily

9/10/10
Very nice collection mate! Specially love your watch boxes!! All the watches look fantastic to. :)

-XXXX-

Known Member
12/7/10
Thanks for detailed feedback. I also love the design as well. You might want to consider the following watches, Graham swordfish, Breitling evolution v3, Breitling b01 v3, Omega PO 45mm ultimate. Some of your Pans look identical though, if you like design why buy the same basic pan design over and over?

Man, I said I like design... I can't even look at some of the Grahams. They are an eyesore! And the swordfish... :)

Omega PO I have...

With reference to Panerai and its similar design, this is one of these things... you got to appreciate what is behind that watch. As I said, I am Italian and I served in the Navy. And so did my grandfather that as a deep sea diver died in battle in 1943.

I like the simple and plain PAMs. To me, they are all special

You know, I think I know that shop too. Do they have little hiding places back in the showroom where they stash their high-end stuff? I remember once asking for a specific model and the guy pulled out a screwdriver and opened up a hidden section of the wall with a lady hidden behind it. It was hilarious. I think the best part about buying from these guys by the way is the fact that if the watch has any issue, it's a quick return and exchange. Worth the extra money IMO.

No, sorry, must be a different place

Indy1

Horology Curious
3/11/08
I used to think that way about Graham Swordfish till a pulled the triger and bought the stainless, with black face. I have had so many compliments on this watch. Nice to wear with jeans, casual. People notice this watch and really like it. It has def. grown on me. You can kind of compare it to the person that drinks bud, coors, etc, fizzy yellow beer. They wont appreciate a fine craft beer like Sone IPA, Dogfish head 90 IPA, etc. However, once their palate expands they can appreciate what real beer is. Fyi, I'm not referring to you just making analogy. Also, got to respect your Grandfather's call to service.