• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I learned about rep movements with Katt's services.

Godly35

11/6/15
***Disclaimer: I understand Katt is a trusted watch smith here, and I am simply post my experience with him. If you wants to bash me for having a bad experience with him, so be it. I am just telling what happened.***

After contacting several watch smith on the forum, Katt was the only one that replied within the same day (or even reply at all for that matter).

After confirm the information, I sent my Noob V6 LN Sub over for power reserve issue. The watch is unable to hand wind, and does not "recharge" by wearing it.
He received the next day and began to work on it.

First diagnostic was: watch is toasted, need new movement.
So I thought it's unfortunate that I bought a faulty watch from a dishonest seller.

Then he said he spent more time on it, now it is able to semi-hand wind! Even though he would still recommend a movement replacement.
Considering a movement replacement will literally bump total money spend on this piece to a BK price range, there is just no point as long as I can "recharge" it somehow.

After payment sent, he emailed me back - he was wrong, the watch still doesn't work.
I was not happy. He did refund $20 back to me and mentions he spent a lot of time on it.
I called a FedEx pick up, and he shipped it back.

I received the watch today, disappointed, but what can I do. Basically just paid some money for a watch smith to look at the piece to confirm it has a faulty movement to begin with.
I tried hand wind it, he claimed "semi-hand wind" actually does not happen. I used to be able to hand wind with constant slipping crown, now, it turns into always slipping.
What's worse: I cannot change the date! And, I can only rotate the watch hand counter clock wise, not clock wise!

So, he broke my watch AND I had to pay him for it.

TL;DR version: I purchased a watch from M2M from a dishonest seller. I sent in a semi-faulty watch for "repair", yet Katt manage to make it completely faulty and un-usable WITHOUT LETTING ME KNOW. Members said that's is a risk rep owner has to bear, so I apologized to Katt. All in all, if you want movement repaired, find someone else, plenty members can do, just not Katt; if you want movement replaced, Katt will do.

Godly35

11/6/15
Update:

Katt has voluntarily refunded all my money. He mentioned again the watch has faulty movement to begin with, and to really fix it would be replace the movement.
Either way, I had a Noob V6 Sub with semi-working movement, now I have a Noob V6 sub with completely messed up movement.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Its square 1, a faulty movement. Get a Swiss movement and put it in?

Sent using Tapatalk

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
How much time do you expect him to spend on a faulty watch and not get paid? This is why I stopped doing builds on consignment...

B

Godly35

11/6/15
I do expect him getting paid for even just look at it and let me know it's faulty, but I do not expect him to break it even further.

How much time do you expect him to spend on a faulty watch and not get paid? This is why I stopped doing builds on consignment...

B

Godly35

11/6/15
He tried, but at the end he said replace the movement is the only way. He did not mention what you said though, such as too expensive to fix, etc.

Katt couldn't fix an A2836?? Or did he say it would be too expensive to fix (ETA parts) vs. replacing it??

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
I'm sorry you are having movement problems, never fun! I'm not sure it's fair to say this is Katt fault when you hired him to diagnose and fix your movement and after he made his recommendation that the movement needed replacing you opted not to. Seems like he wanted to get it running for you and keep the cost down by not having to replace it, which I think is a positive since he could have simply recommended the more expensive option alone. Again i'm sorry for you trouble.

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
My .02

I would not have refunded. The movement was already broken and would have eventually broken even more. His time costs money and he should be paid. He didn't break your watch he worked on your broken watch and tried a band aid fix because it sounds as if you didn't want to repair it right.

Get an ETA or sell it as parts or a project.

Thank you for posting this. You probably helped Katts business.

Godly35

11/6/15
You are right in a sense. However, what make me not happy was that he did not mention while attempt to fix watch, he broke the watch. I found out after I receive the watch back, and had to email him about it.

I'm sorry you are having movement problems, never fun! I'm not sure it's fair to say this is Katt fault when you hired him to diagnose and fix your movement and after he made his recommendation that the movement needed replacing you opted not to. Seems like he wanted to get it running for you and keep the cost down by not having to replace it, which I think is a positive since he could have simply recommended the more expensive option alone. Again i'm sorry for you trouble.

Godly35

11/6/15
Thank you for your input. As I have mentioned in the last reply, I was ok if he is unable to fix it and just charge me for his time. I am not happy because he broke the watch further to a point where it's unusable AND did not tell me. I found that out myself after I received the watch back.

My .02

I would not have refunded. The movement was already broken and would have eventually broken even more. His time costs money and he should be paid. He didn't break your watch he worked on your broken watch and tried a band aid fix because it sounds as if you didn't want to repair it right.

Get an ETA or sell it as parts or a project.

Thank you for posting this. You probably helped Katts business.

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
Thank you for your input. As I have mentioned in the last reply, I was ok if he is unable to fix it and just charge me for his time. I am not happy because he broke the watch further to a point where it's unusable AND did not tell me. I found that out myself after I received the watch back.

Ok let's get this straight, he didn't break the watch further. The watch was already not working.

Sometimes when you take a movement apart to service/fix it certain "broken" pieces that were being held into place simply by the nature of the mechanism shift or move. Once he disassembled it to try to repair it, this is how it ended up. Think of it this way, someone rear ends you. It doesn't look horrible but you can tell you have been hit by another car. When the repair guy takes the bumper off you have more extensive damage than what the initial or superficial assessment showed. This is the same kind of scenario.

My question is did you buy the watch here at RWI? Did you follow all the sales rules? If you did have you contacted a mod for help?

Since it is not repairable within an acceptable cost, you should swap an clone movement into it. They are not super expensive, and if you get it serviced too, you will have zero issues moving forward.
[MENTION=84805]occb2[/MENTION] [MENTION=42327]Raddave[/MENTION] or any other members know where he could source a clone movement?

But OP, I suggest that if you followed the rules you go to a mod/admin for help since your movement was faulty from the get go. Good luck.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
I can get him a gen movement. Startime doesn't work with clones. I have a few clones here but are not working. He would have to send it out for service.

I have to add. I have never used Katt. But speaking to people who have. He is a great watch maker. I find it hard to believe he broke your watch beyond being able to fix. It might have been that way prior to you sending it.

Godly35

11/6/15
Here is the whole back ground: this is also why I seem frustrated at the original post, please pardon my bluntness at beginning.

I purchased this watch from a reputable seller here at M2M who claimed it is 100% working even with 30 hours power reserve BUT when hand wind, the crown slips constantly.

However, when I wore it the last couple days, the watch stops from time to time. The only way to reserver power is hand wind with constantly slipping.

Seller do not agree to return and he claimed the CRAWZY guidelines: watch was ok, since it left his hand, it broke, it's on buyer. And he is only willing to refund $25 USD to remedy.

So, I send to Katt and see if it can be repaired for how much. I am perfectly ok if he charges for a watch repair. However, I was not aware of the possiblity it could get worse while repair.

The watch itself was working partially. I was able to change the date, rotate the hands, and semi-hand wind (despite constant slipping). It does keep the time fine while it works. It just does not "recharge" by wearing it, which seller claim it does.

After the whole attempt repair process, it was deemed unrepairable, I asked him to send me back the watch and expect it to be the way I sent to him.

What made me not happy this morning was - the watch movement is now stuck and unusable. I am unable to change date, unable to handwind at all, unable to rotate the arms clockwise. I emailed him about it. Then he replied saying he would refund me.

Again, I apologize if I seemed rude in the previous posts, I was just not aware I have a now compeltely broken watch!

With a broken watch that I paid extra for repair and two way shipping, what do I have on hand to even attemp to "negotiate" with the seller? "Hey, I broke your watch even more, please accept the return and give me full refund!"

I opted for this watch as a cheap beater under $300, now I have over paid for a broken watch for $300, and I will have to shed another $300 to $400 to replacement. I should have just gotten a BK to begin with if I knew I was getting into all this mess.

I hope you understand my frustration.

Ok let's get this straight, he didn't break the watch further. The watch was already not working.

Sometimes when you take a movement apart to service/fix it certain "broken" pieces that were being held into place simply by the nature of the mechanism shift or move. Once he disassembled it to try to repair it, this is how it ended up. Think of it this way, someone rear ends you. It doesn't look horrible but you can tell you have been hit by another car. When the repair guy takes the bumper off you have more extensive damage than what the initial or superficial assessment showed. This is the same kind of scenario.

My question is did you buy the watch here at RWI? Did you follow all the sales rules? If you did have you contacted a mod for help?

Since it is not repairable within an acceptable cost, you should swap an clone movement into it. They are not super expensive, and if you get it serviced too, you will have zero issues moving forward.
@occb2 @Raddave or any other members know where he could source a clone movement?

But OP, I suggest that if you followed the rules you go to a mod/admin for help since your movement was faulty from the get go. Good luck.