• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hytrel bezel retaining rings

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town
So, I will try to revive this topic.

ı had an issue with my hytrel ring and my SubC bezel sits quite high now :/ I have a 3d printer in the office and will try the dimensions KJ2020 shared.

does anyone know if ZZF Hytrel ring is L shaped or just rectangular?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
So, I will try to revive this topic.

ı had an issue with my hytrel ring and my SubC bezel sits quite high now :/ I have a 3d printer in the office and will try the dimensions KJ2020 shared.

does anyone know if ZZF Hytrel ring is L shaped or just rectangular?

Pretty sure they are all L shaped. Have you tried flipping the ring over to see if it sits lower?

Reactions: KJ2020

Fedon06

Known Member
31/8/20
M Town
Pretty sure they are all L shaped. Have you tried flipping the ring over to see if it sits lower?

Will also try that once I reach a crytstal press or a vice in few days.

also, the drawings were present previously but what are the L’s final decided dimensions now can you share with me again I’m a bit confused now ????

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Will also try that once I reach a crytstal press or a vice in few days.

also, the drawings were present previously but what are the L’s final decided dimensions now can you share with me again I’m a bit confused now ????

Ive got no idea sorry, dont have any zzf subs

fredflintstone

5/4/20
Does anyone know what thickness of fishing line to use?
Or a starting point at least.

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Does anyone know what thickness of fishing line to use?
Or a starting point at least.

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

Noob GMT Pepsi's poor bezel design

Get several sizes as bezel gasket grooves and retaining ring lips vary in size. Start with smaller than you think you need and increase size slowly. It's safer to do this with the insert removed.

If you press a bezel on with a line too thick, the bezel won't rotate AND, it can be so tight that you can't get the bezel back off. If that happens (and I've done it), you can take the movement and crystal out and remove all gaskets and O rings. Then put the watch head in the oven at 550° for about 20 minutes. The fishline will shrink and turn black and get brittle and you can get the bezel off and try again.

Reactions: fredflintstone

nofitstate

20/7/13
Hey, thought I'd add some info that might help some of you looking for a Hytrel bezel retaining ring.

My VSF 126610LN needed a new one after I removed the bezel as it wasn't sitting quite square to the case. Having looked at the one that came with the watch in its somewhat mangled state it seemed to have a T profile that looked very similar to ones sold by the seller wholesaleoutlet990 on ebay. So I took a chance and order one and it arrived today. It fitted perfectly and the bezel is now fitted back on my watch and working nicely.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

ZMCoupe

Known Member
Certified
5/3/21
Hey, thought I'd add some info that might help some of you looking for a Hytrel bezel retaining ring.

My VSF 126610LN needed a new one after I removed the bezel as it wasn't sitting quite square to the case. Having looked at the one that came with the watch in its somewhat mangled state it seemed to have a T profile that looked very similar to ones sold by the seller wholesaleoutlet990 on ebay. So I took a chance and order one and it arrived today. It fitted perfectly and the bezel is now fitted back on my watch and working nicely.

This is interesting do you have an item number or anything? My VSF126610LN feels like I need to reseat the gasket but I am afraid to try without having a replacement on hand just in case.

Thanks

nofitstate

20/7/13
This is interesting do you have an item number or anything? My VSF126610LN feels like I need to reseat the gasket but I am afraid to try without having a replacement on hand just in case.

Thanks

161620824457 that's for a pack of 5, though I'm pretty sure the seller has a listing for just one.

nofitstate

20/7/13
Thank you! It says for 116610 would it be the same size gasket for the 126610?

That was another chance I took. I did a bit of research and came to the conclusion that the 126610 crystal was the same size as the 116610 crystal. Wether that is true or not I don't know. So yes it does say it's for a 116610 but it fitted my 126610 with no problem.

Reactions: ZMCoupe

ZMCoupe

Known Member
Certified
5/3/21
That was another chance I took. I did a bit of research and came to the conclusion that the 126610 crystal was the same size as the 116610 crystal. Wether that is true or not I don't know. So yes it does say it's for a 116610 but it fitted my 126610 with no problem.

I thought it might have been a bit larger but since you said it worked either it is small enough that the ring stretches and might work better!

Thanks again!

nofitstate

20/7/13
I thought it might have been a bit larger but since you said it worked either it is small enough that the ring stretches and might work better!

Thanks again!

No problem. You may find when you pop the bezel off the ring is still OK. I removed mine about 3 times before it became to distorted to use.

I found reassembley best done in stages. The bezel, followed by the Hytrel ring, then the metal ring on top and finally the ceramic bezel ring pops into place.

ZMCoupe

Known Member
Certified
5/3/21
No problem. You may find when you pop the bezel off the ring is still OK. I removed mine about 3 times before it became to distorted to use.

I found reassembley best done in stages. The bezel, followed by the Hytrel ring, then the metal ring on top and finally the ceramic bezel ring pops into place.

Thanks for the tips. I look forward to giving it a try! And with the five pack if I mess it up I’ve got a second chance for me and a few spares to give to the watch smith when I eventually take it in to be done properly. Lol

SudoHtop

Horology Curious
26/5/21
161620824457 that's for a pack of 5, though I'm pretty sure the seller has a listing for just one.

I just wanted to follow up on this thread. I broke the Hytrel bezel retaining ring on my VSF 126610LN while trying to reseat the bezel. I ordered the replacement suggested here by nofitstate (ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164850787612?hash=item2661df651c:g:o6IAAOSwX9tgkoGQ) and was able to refit the bezel.

Some helpful tips if someone decides to go down the same route: These replacement hytrel rings are for the 116610 bezel and appear to be slightly too small for the 126610. If you try to press the bezel on without any kind of modification to the Hytrel ring, it's very easy to end up bending the replacement ring because they are slightly too small. I was able to make it work by ever so slightly stretching the ring by hand so that it was around 3-4% larger in circumference, and then it was the right size. After pressing into place the bezel stayed on securely and turned nicely. If you stretch the rings too much I found you could shrink them a bit by placing them in boiling water for around 30 seconds. Order more than one because you'll probably destroy the first one or two.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I just wanted to follow up on this thread. I broke the Hytrel bezel retaining ring on my VSF 126610LN while trying to reseat the bezel. I ordered the replacement suggested here by nofitstate (ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164850787612?hash=item2661df651c:g:o6IAAOSwX9tgkoGQ) and was able to refit the bezel.

Some helpful tips if someone decides to go down the same route: These replacement hytrel rings are for the 116610 bezel and appear to be slightly too small for the 126610. If you try to press the bezel on without any kind of modification to the Hytrel ring, it's very easy to end up bending the replacement ring because they are slightly too small. I was able to make it work by ever so slightly stretching the ring by hand so that it was around 3-4% larger in circumference, and then it was the right size. After pressing into place the bezel stayed on securely and turned nicely. If you stretch the rings too much I found you could shrink them a bit by placing them in boiling water for around 30 seconds. Order more than one because you'll probably destroy the first one or two.

Is your vsf bezel sitting flush on the case with no vertical play? I have one I used the same hytrel rings on that just refuses to sit flush on the case.

I did the stretch technique for a 126610 gen bezel install that worked great. Still need to tighten the other one down though. I ordered another pack of rings.

nofitstate

20/7/13
I just wanted to follow up on this thread. I broke the Hytrel bezel retaining ring on my VSF 126610LN while trying to reseat the bezel. I ordered the replacement suggested here by nofitstate (ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/16485078761...IAAOSwX9tgkoGQ) and was able to refit the bezel.

That's strange, the rings I bought fitted without any need to stretch them, and I only needed to use one.

Did you try to push the bezel assembly back on fully assembled or in its component stages?

My bezel still has about 0.1mm of vertical play which is less than it had when I received it from my TD, and after reading on the gen Rolex forums this seem be normal. I'm not a fan of it and would prefer no play, but to do that I will need to remove the bezel again and the crystal retaining ring and remove some material from the bottom of it which will in turn pull the bezel closer to the case for a completely flush look.

Last edited:

SudoHtop

Horology Curious
26/5/21
Is your vsf bezel sitting flush on the case with no vertical play? I have one I used the same hytrel rings on that just refuses to sit flush on the case.

I did the stretch technique for a 126610 gen bezel install that worked great. Still need to tighten the other one down though. I ordered another pack of rings.

It's sitting pretty flush, there's a very small amount of vertical play, but that was there new out of the box. I don't think these bezels are ever meant to be 100% flush to the case, given the bezel springs that lift it slightly off of the case itself. You can't actually see the gap between the bezel & case though, so like I said, it's pretty flush.

Did you try to push the bezel assembly back on fully assembled or in its component stages?

I inserted the hytrel ring into the bezel before seating the bezel to the case. It looks like there is a recessed groove within the bezel that is meant to hold the hytrel ring. I put the ring in place there, then popped the bezel into place on the case. When it seated correctly, I didn't really have to force it, it just popped into place with a slight push and then felt very securely attached.

This video pretty nicely demonstrates how I reassembled it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snSEaxqs5hE

Reactions: Swiss Crown

nofitstate

20/7/13
I inserted the hytrel ring into the bezel before seating the bezel to the case. It looks like there is a recessed groove within the bezel that is meant to hold the hytrel ring. I put the ring in place there, then popped the bezel into place on the case. When it seated correctly, I didn't really have to force it, it just popped into place with a slight push and then felt very securely attached.

This video pretty nicely demonstrates how I reassembled it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snSEaxqs5hE

I see. I disassembled my bezel completely into its 4 components and refitted it one piece at time with the hytrel ring being the second part to be fitted.

I've circled the parts in breakdown diagram and this also allowed me to get a perfect alignment of the ceramic insert to the dial markers.

Reactions: Swiss Crown

taksnl

Horology Curious
8/3/21
Hi Folks,

I have a VSF 126610 LV with a very bad hytrel ring and gasket. I could remove my bezel just rotating or even worst with my own hand. I talked with several people and they said they couldnt' find a solution for this.

Solution I had:

I took the original Hytrel ring and wrap with dental floss (no flavor, nylon version). I put back in the place and voala. When I clicked back it was perfect.

I twisted, and it was a little tough, so I removed a bit of the wrapping area.

Now the watch is perfect.