• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How To Fix Omega Clasps That Won't Stay Closed

time_bandit

Known Member
30/10/06
This is a common problem with the Omega reps but fortunately it is an easy fix.

The way the clasp SHOULD work is a spring in the clasp snaps around both sides of this piece.
step_1.jpg

The problem is due to the spring in the clasp is often mis-shaped so either only one side of the spring connects or the tension is too weak.
step_2.jpg

To fix the problem the first step is to dis-assemble the locking mechanism by pushing out the pin indicated below:
step_3.jpg

Here are all the parts. Be careful not to lose the sleeve that fits over the pin, it is what locks the pin in place.
step_4.jpg

This is the root of the problem. A badly formed spring.
step_5.jpg

Remove the spring from the clasp using needle nose pliers. Again, be careful not to loose the two buttons on either end of the spring.

Once you have removed the spring you will need to reshape the spring by bending it so it looks like the example below. Note how it angles up so that the spring presses up against the cover.
step_6.jpg

All that is left now is to re-assemble the parts. There are small holes drilled into the buttons that the ends of the spring fit into.

After re-assembly - note how both sides of the spring are now visible and sit higher in the clasp.
The bracelet now closes with a very satisfying SNAP
step_7.jpg

Adjusting the DIVERS EXTENSION

step_8.jpg

step_9.jpg

step_10.jpg

step_11.jpg

If the lip is too large you can try carefully squeezing it back with plyers or filing it down.
Fortunately this piece is hidden so it won't show if you scratch something.

step_12.jpg

DISCLAIMER
Please make sure that you understand that the information provided here is being provided freely, and that no kind of agreement or contract is created. The material is informational only. I can not and will not be held responsible for damages to or resulting from anything that you may decide to do to your watch.

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
I love this tutorial!

STICKIED!!!!!

:wink:

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Perfect! This is exactly what I needed.

Since we've stickied this, can anyone provide a pictorial guide on how to fix that bloody diver's extension clasp?

Sylar

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/1/07
Well written tutorial time bandit.

Remsenor

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/5/07
Excellent Work!

It's great how most members are always looking for ways to help other members.

Keep it up. [smilie=thumbsup.gif]

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Reposted as requested. Also, take a look at Planet Ocean Strap Repair for more PO strap related stuff.

seanf said:
In looking at the watch closed when it's off my wrist, I'm beginning to think the fault may actually lie in the diver's extension.
How to close the diver's extension:

divers-ext%20-%201.jpg

Flat, closed clasp

divers-ext%20-%202.jpg

Opened clasp. Note flush diver's extension.

divers-ext%20-%203.jpg

Extention opened

divers-ext%20-%204.jpg

Push the pivot end in first. This doesn't latch behind, but it's cleaner like this and you can see it go in properly.

divers-ext%20-%205.jpg

Then snap down the bracelet end.

divers-ext%20-%206.jpg

It should close this neatly.

divers-ext%20-%207.jpg

A closed, mounted buckle. If yours doesn't look like this, there's a problem.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
@moppel-- for the benefit of those of us who aren't members of TRC, could you cut and paste and then post it here?

trevor2079

Renowned Member
2/5/07
Thanks for the post. This is clearly a problem with my PO.
I'll give this a try tonight!

Moppel

Looking Around
21/11/06
Hi there,

on my new PO from Andrew the divers extension was also very loose and did pop out very easily. So I fixed that by myself as I was kind of afraid to go and see a watchmaker.
I took some ( poor quality ) pictures of how I did that.

Pop out the divers extension. You will see two little holes on each side.

1.jpg

Now you need a little chisel or a similar tool to displace some material to the outside.

2.jpg

For better working I took off the bracelet from the watch and used a piece of aluminium to put the bracelet on. Maybe you can also use a piece of hard wood or something similar which wouldn’t damage the bracelet.

3.jpg

Now use a hammer to displace some material to the outside. Try if its fits tightly. If it’s too much just use a little file or try to use a hammer to reduce the width.
Be careful and don’t use too much power while doing it.

This is what it should look like after modification. Looks a little bit damaged but it works :D
4.jpg

I hope my little explanation is understandable as I am not a native English speaking person.

Good luck.

Moppel

caravaggio

Banned
13/6/06
YES

This is a very useful and practical thread. This is the kind of thread of truly enjoy on a watch forum.

THANK YOU

Usil

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/5/07
Excellent tutorial and I bet satisfying tht you fixed it yourself. Thanks for the time and effort.

Usil

daved0x01

Looking Around
29/9/07
Oh b*gger. Be careful! my spring snapped :cry: Anyone know where or who I could get another from?

confused5o1

Banned
26/11/07
I purchased a recent 4th gen PO and the straps aren't as bad and close probably 95% of the time on teh first try