• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How I paid $100 to push an acquaintance into paying full retail for a gen Hublot

tokeyx

27/3/11
I couldn't wait to share this story on RWI! :)

Was having an early 4:00 dinner/happy hour yesterday afternoon in Manhattan with a coworker and two mutual acquaintances, one of whom I cannot stand. You all know the type... he just waits for other people to finish talking so he can talk about himself. You try to tell a story he interrupts and makes it about himself. Knows everything and it's pointless to argue with him because he always has to be right about everything, and any opinion other than his is wrong. Has to let everyone know how much he paid for everything. Constantly seeking validation. I could go on but I think you get the picture. Bottom line, guy's a real dick. Did I mention I can't stand this guy?

And although I can't really validate this, I just get the feeling he's living way above his means, probably maxed out on credit, etc... IMO anyone I've ever met who tries so desperately to work how much money his shit cost into every conversation must be trying to present themselves as something they are not. The people I know with real wealth never try to flaunt it like that.

So we're all talking over a drink. The guy I like is looking to buy a new truck. He asks me how I like mine. I love it and tell him all the reasons why. The asshat has to interrupt, with all the reasons my vehicle is a piece of shit and CLEARLY his vehicle (not that I have anything against his but it wasn't right for me) is the only vehicle anyone should buy, and anyone who buys anything else made the wrong decision. This just pisses me off so much, so I have to get a little jab in there.

I say to our mutual friend looking to buy a vehicle "yea you could go that route, then again if you did everything he told you to do you'd be wearing a quartz Aquaracer too instead of that Submariner." Now I have nothing against aquaracers, and certainly his gen cost more than my rep Hublot, but on to the fun...

:stir::jerry::stir::jerry:

By the way, NOT ONCE did I lie or claim mine was gen. I like to think all my years in sales has made me really really talented at bending the truth

him: like yours is any better
me: I'm not saying it is, I just prefer automatic movements
him: this Tag was $1500, how much was that?
me: if you have to ask you probably can't afford it
him: bullshit, let me see it
*I take it off and hand it over*
him: never heard of a Hublot (he pronounces it hub-lot), come on how much was this?
me: again, if you're asking then I don't think you can afford it
him: trust me, if you can afford it then I can. Where do I get a hublot?

Important to note we were at Le Charlot on 69th and Madison in Manhattan.

me: if you really want to know where to get a Hublot, there's a store just down the road. It's 7 blocks down the street on 62nd. I've got $100 that says you don't buy one.
him: watch me

and off he goes. The other 2 are looking at me like "wtf did you just do?" I'm giggling like a little kid waiting for this :asshat: to come back. I bet when he woke up that morning he didn't think he'd be maxing out the credit card on something he's never heard of that night.

So about 45 minutes later he comes back with his new Hublot. You know what he does first? Before he even shows the watch off, he takes the credit card slip out of his wallet and passes it around so everyone can see he paid $14,100 for it. For some reason this made me SO HAPPY. I actually like the one he got, I haven't seen it repped yet. Kind of a silver/stainless steel bezel on it. I paid him his $100 gladly for the satisfaction of knowing I just got him to drop all the money!

I laughed the whole way home. I mean I know it was an asshole move on my part, but I couldn't help myself and he totally had it coming.

by the way, after handling his, I can say the V1 rep I have is quite good :)

crazyfastbeats

28/9/09
lol, great story. what does he do for a living? I give til the end of the day when buyer's remorse starts sinking in.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Why are you laughing ? He has a GEN Hublot. I'd be thrilled to have one. But I wouldn't put it on a Credit Card.

crazyfastbeats

28/9/09
It's funny because he bought a timepiece that he's never heard of. Furthermore, it's funny that tokeyx was able to pull off the same "status-appeal" with a fraction of the price

melswatch

I'm Pretty Popular
21/5/10
Should have called the Hublot store while he was on the way over...told them not to offer any kind of discount off suggested retail price due to "exclusivity" and that you wanted some of the commission for making the sale. Then used that commission for new reps...

tokeyx

27/3/11
I'm laughing because I pushed a douchebag into dropping $14,000 on a watch, when I could have just told him mine was a $300 rep if he wasn't being such a dick :)

Seriously, who does that? He's so desperate for attention, that he just spent $14,000 to get a little from the 3 of us.

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
He could always return it the next day and get a refund! It would have been funny if he brought the same one as yours and then you switched it :)

crazyfastbeats

28/9/09
He could always return it the next day and get a refund! It would have been funny if he brought the same one as yours and then you switched it :)

some stores have a no-refund, exchange only policy when warranty is filled out

lourentgarnier

Renowned Member
4/4/10
Should have called the Hublot store while he was on the way over...told them not to offer any kind of discount off suggested retail price due to "exclusivity" and that you wanted some of the commission for making the sale. Then used that commission for new reps...

:D exactly what i was thinking wile reading......nice story!
Now i would laugh too if i knew he used all his credit for this buy; if for the guy was just an easy buy.....well i think that i would laugh much less....:)

PS: i dunno how many people desperate for attention can spend so easily 14k in 40 minutes....

dellbell67

20/2/10
HUBLOT

Thinking more he will have paid more than 14K for it by the time he adds the interest on as i suspect he won't be clearing that bill this month.

HEH HEH HEH

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
I'm laughing because I pushed a douchebag into dropping $14,000 on a watch, when I could have just told him mine was a $300 rep if he wasn't being such a dick :)

Seriously, who does that? He's so desperate for attention, that he just spent $14,000 to get a little from the 3 of us.

I get that he's a jerk craving for attention, but it doesn't change the fact that you were mean spirited in your actions as well. I can't say I approve. You can't change other people, but you are certainly responsible for your own actions.

brackdaddy

Known Member
7/10/09
I think you should work out a trade, his gen for your rep. That would be the icing!

tokeyx

27/3/11
I get that he's a jerk craving for attention, but it doesn't change the fact that you were mean spirited in your actions as well. I can't say I approve. You can't change other people, but you are certainly responsible for your own actions.

edit: what exactly where my actions? I never claimed mine was a gen. I never said I paid $10k for it. I declined to answer him when he asked me how much I paid for it. In fact, the only thing I really did was bet him $100 he wouldn't go buy a Hublot. He could have turned down the bet. He's the egomaniac who pushed it to that point.

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
I think that's absolutely hilarious. You should've laughed when he came back and told him. "oh, you got THAT one. Hmmmm..." or maybe suggested that only noobs pay full retail. Either way that was well worth a hundred bucks.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
edit: what exactly where my actions? I never claimed mine was a gen. I never said I paid $10k for it. I declined to answer him when he asked me how much I paid for it. In fact, the only thing I really did was bet him $100 he wouldn't go buy a Hublot. He could have turned down the bet. He's the egomaniac who pushed it to that point.

Look, you sound like a smart guy, who is perfectly capable of diffusing the situation. Can you honestly say that you didn't bait him into this? Did you need to wager that he wouldn't buy a Hublot? This was clearly a pissing match, plain and simple, and both of you had something to prove.

tokeyx

27/3/11
Look, you sound like a smart guy, who is perfectly capable of diffusing the situation. Can you honestly say that you didn't bait him into this? Did you need to wager that he wouldn't but a Hublot? This was clearly a pissing match, plain and simple, and both of you had something to prove.

I can't really argue with that, you're absolutely right. All I can say in my defense is that I've known this guy for 4 years and EVERY SINGLE interaction with him has been like this. He needs to know he's the best at everything all the time. Period.

I just got sick of it and I saw my window, and got so much enjoyment out of this that it surprises me. I was giddy with joy. I may not be a good person because of it, but I can't help the way I felt.

2006yamahar6

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/4/11
HAHAHAHAHAHA you are my hero, i know a guy very similar to the prick you described, he works for cisco, probably a very low level position and waits for someone to finish their story, only so he can "one-up it" with a story of his own from his extravagant travels that have occurred on the company card, including his 150 dollar salads, how his company comp'd him renting a porsche instead of a taurus.... he's a first class prick and a half.

you, my friend.... are a badass

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
I can't really argue with that, you're absolutely right. All I can say in my defense is that I've known this guy for 4 years and EVERY SINGLE interaction with him has been like this. He needs to know he's the best at everything all the time. Period.

I just got sick of it and I saw my window, and got so much enjoyment out of this that it surprises me. I was giddy with joy. I may not be a good person because of it, but I can't help the way I felt.

I can absolutely understand why you did it. I was just trying to say, as you have admitted above, that you played a small but active role in this, and it doesn't make you the better man for it.

As suggested in a previous post, your acquaintance would have found better use of the $14K by visiting a shrink to work through his deep seated emotional issues.