• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How I paid $100 to push an acquaintance into paying full retail for a gen Hublot

phillycheez

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/6/09
Party-Pooper-Image.jpg

bigdeal

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/10
there is no necessity to hang out with people you don't like.

That get's lonely sometimes... Trust me lol

In any case, while the OP received the affirmation he so sorely needed for his less than humane behavior, deep down he should realize that the only way for him to lord this over the other person is to reveal at some point that he only had a replica all along.

It seems that this bothers you, I don't really get why. It's not like the OP stole the guys credit card, charged a 14k watch on it then laughed at him when he couldn't pay the bill. The guy sounds like a real piece of work, and he bought it of his own free will. If he's so insecure that he can't NOT buy a 14k watch just to show off for a few acquaintances at a bar, he deserves it .... and then some.

I think it's hilarious...

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
It seems that this bothers you, I don't really get why. It's not like the OP stole the guys credit card, charged a 14k watch on it then laughed at him when he couldn't pay the bill. The guy sounds like a real piece of work, and he bought it of his own free will. If he's so insecure that he can't NOT buy a 14k watch just to show off for a few acquaintances at a bar, he deserves it .... and then some.

I think it's hilarious...

It most certainly bothers me. Because, while I could perhaps see how the guy "had it coming," it was nevertheless an utterly mean-spirited thing to do. This is an instance of stooping to a person's level, and the world is a worse place for it. I, for one, take no joy in the misfortune of others.

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
It most certainly bothers me. Because, while I could perhaps see how the guy "had it coming," it was nevertheless an utterly mean-spirited thing to do. This is an instance of stooping to a person's level, and the world is a worse place for it. I, for one, take no joy in the misfortune of others.

how is the world worse off? the guy could have declined the bet. also you do not (one does not) have the ability to avoid unwanted people no matter how much you have or how old you are. believe me man; there are far greater probems in this world than a hublot bet/wind-up in manhattan. to me it's a great story and a wonderful example of how not to act (the other guy). if the OP had fun setting up a jack@** i say right on, tax the jerk for all he can take. he didn't make him do anything. if anything the new gen hublot owner made his own misfortune; alone and all by himself. i used to be above schadenfreude but now, with what people do to themselves, i'm just laughing (at them) to keep from cryin'...

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
how is the world worse off? the guy could have declined the bet. also you do not (one does not) have the ability to avoid unwanted people no matter how much you have or how old you are. believe me man; there are far greater probems in this world than a hublot bet/wind-up in manhattan. to me it's a great story and a wonderful example of how not to act (the other guy). if the OP had fun setting up a jack@** i say right on, tax the jerk for all he can take. he didn't make him do anything. if anything the new gen hublot owner made his own misfortune; alone and all by himself. i used to be above schadenfreude but now, with what people do to themselves, i'm just laughing (at them) to keep from cryin'...

I don't mean that the world is worse off because a jerk bought a Hublot he might not actually be able to afford, again I get the idea that he had it coming. No, the world is worse off because an essentially decent human being (which I assume the OP is), lost a bit of his humanity that day.

Or as Yoda would say, "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

bigdeal

I'm Pretty Popular
21/8/10
I don't mean that the world is worse off because a jerk bought a Hublot he might not actually be able to afford, again I get the idea that he had it coming. No, the world is worse off because an essentially decent human being (which I assume the OP is), lost a bit of his humanity that day.

C'mon, just admit it, you bought that Gen VCO because somebody at a bar bet you $100 that you wouldn't!! ;)

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
C'mon, just admit it, you bought that Gen VCO because somebody at a bar bet you $100 that you wouldn't!! ;)

Seemed like a good deal for me, I get $100 towards a wonderful, understated, and elegant watch. Hmm... people paying me to indulge in my watch habit, why not? Now if I can only get 200 RWI members to bet me a $100 each to get a genuine Patek Nautilus, I'll be all set.

If you see Kay

26/1/09
Whatever you do, don't tell him you got a rep, we don't want an asshat like that eventually finding our forums. And next time wear a different watch, like a Patek, and bet him again.

I don't care about the ethics or morality in what you did. I'm just glad you did it. I have a dickhead like that in my office as well, someone who always one ups you, especially when you have a great story you just want to share and he has to ruin it by upstaging you and interupt you and tell you about his story, and goes on and on and on.....

I suggest you do a trade with him with your rep and his gen. That would be the ultimate.

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10

Or as Yoda would say, "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

then we disagree. i feel like this is a small thing ( really i don't see a problem at all ) that does not measure up to an event like a drone strike or a rape. and even those things are fairly inconsequential when compared to things like mining and chemical refining. i don't think that ethics can be understood on a level this small. but that is my smelly opinion ;)

or as genghis khan would say-
“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.â€

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
I think the classiest thing at this point is when you next see him, compliment him on the Hublot and tell him what a great watch he bought.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
then we disagree. i feel like this is a small thing ( really i don't see a problem at all ) that does not measure up to an event like a drone strike or a rape. and even those things are fairly inconsequential when compared to things like mining and chemical refining. i don't think that ethics can be understood on a level this small. but that is my smelly opinion ;)

or as genghis khan would say-
“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.â€

Sure, there are far greater evils in this world, but if you think that petty vindictiveness is okay in those who should be wise enough to rise above the fray, then you're right that we disagree.

It is precisely when we start rationalizing why it is okay to take joy in the misfortunes of others, because they somehow had it coming, that we start walking down the path of desensitization that allows the great evils of the world to persist.

Perhaps it is just me, but I think of myself as too flawed a person to serve as an agent of the wrath of god on the unworthy.

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
I'm firmly in the "OP is a ******* legend" camp. This dude deserved it, it's his own fault for being baited.

pippo

10/1/10
Well done, he deserves it for sure, I can't stand that kind of dudes

Now I'm just wondering what's his real income since he must be out of mind to buy such an expensive watch unless he gains serious money.
Are you sure he's got no golden salary?

dullbling

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/9/09
I can absolutely understand why you did it. I was just trying to say, as you have admitted above, that you played a small but active role in this, and it doesn't make you the better man for it.

As suggested in a previous post, your acquaintance would have found better use of the $14K by visiting a shrink to work through his deep seated emotional issues.

I didn't gather that the OP assumed a 100% innocent stance in this story, but rather the OP's acquaintance has been a "one-upping, bragging, spotlight stealing douche" that walked himself into a $14,000 trap and the OP was able to manipulate and witness the occurrence. I only wish I had been there to see it... I hope he CAN'T return it. Great story!

5-stars to the OP

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Just discovered this thread, very nice tokey!! :lol:

I think the worst part about this story is that the guy actually spent 14K on a Hublot :D

dullbling

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/9/09
Waiting on an update from the OP that the dickhead returned the watch and blamed in on the al-al-al-al alcohol...

BADWIN BING

30/4/10
Brilliant! Only just found this myself and lmfao.

Great story.....loved it. :lol: