• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How far a luxury (AP?!) watch can get you? Did that happen to anyone of you guys?)

lovesRM

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
8/10/16
Never been called out or asked to see one of my watches up close. Some close friends are just like 'I see you got a new watch, looks nice!' - and that's it.
Sort of frowned upon around here, if anyone would say something like 'can I see it up close or can I hold it?'. Kinda expected to have some of those pieces around here..

LondonAP

Known Member
25/11/14
Interesting read. Especially that people dare to call other people out. Haha. I have been all over the world and never once did someone ever ask if my AP diver v6 with low beat was a fake. Maybe because I am not the smallest person :D
Funny enough some friends of mine think my gen Rolex BLNR is fake because they cant believe I can afford a Rolex. But of course they don't know what an AP is.

Special treatment. Never. But a lot of amazing new contacts because of recognizing a nice watch and knowing a lot about the watch and just talking to the person. This is what RWI gave me. So much detailed information about a watch gen and rep. The gen forums never go this deep. Never. We here at RWI go much more into detail as just gen buyers. Thanks for that RWI and fellow members

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice post. Having now acquired three gen Rolex watches I tend to lurk on the Rolex Forum but do get so bored with the endless mind numbing comments and zillions of "Congrats" posts etc every time someone pitches up with a new buy - a watch that everyone has seen time and time again. You'd think that a Rolex forum would largely be frequented by intelligent people, but I do have my doubts.

seig_mann

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/7/16
Nice post. Having now acquired three gen Rolex watches I tend to lurk on the Rolex Forum but do get so bored with the endless mind numbing comments and zillions of "Congrats" posts etc every time someone pitches up with a new buy - a watch that everyone has seen time and time again. You'd think that a Rolex forum would largely be frequented by intelligent people, but I do have my doubts.

The intelligent people are on RWI mate [emoji854]

Sent from the RWI mobile app

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
. You'd think that a Rolex forum would largely be frequented by intelligent people, but I do have my doubts.

Truly intelligent people like to spend their money on other things. [emoji41] haha totally kidding. But, I would find the forum boring as well. Some good people I'm sure, but idk..

Sent from the RWI mobile app

JimmyDeanSausage

Horology Curious
13/10/16
i'M CLEARLY BORED:

Well you see, it's simple. I'll explain my story.

I was walking around soho one cool, summer night wearing my modded AP Diver ROO. The sun was setting in about an hour, and the work crowd was finally starting to die. I had just left a local soho watering hole, slightly buzzed, when I was approached by a sharp, young man. Immediately I noticed he sported a very impressive Brioni Vanquish II suit (never have I actually seen one in the wild). Anyways, he walked up and asked for the time. I didn't hesitate to flick my wrist up, making the Diver "pop" (you know that feeling) out from under my custom tailored French cuff shirt. When I said "it's half past 7 old sport" he gave a very childish grin. He asked me who my tailor was,and Upon giving him his first name, I watched the sides of his mouth curl up yet again. He shook my hand firmly and off our separate ways we went.

I walked about half a block when I noticed a hard, rectangular object about the size of a business card in my jacket pocket. I took it out to examine whose'business card' I had and stared at it in confusion. It's pure black, solid metal, glistens like a calm ocean during twilight hour, and no writing present.Confused, I put the mysterious black slate in both hands between my thumb and index finger to bend the card. Nothing happens. Now I was even more confused. When I go to let go of the object, I notice impressions where my fingers tips pressed against.

"Oh cool!" I thought. "It's heat activated." The nerd I am instantly took over. I placed the business card between my palms and squeezed them together. What I see is amazing. A swirl of colors behind the black exterior. I saw words dance across the business card. The black instantly swallows the words, and I'm back to square one. I try again to little avail. I walked up to a Halla cart and asked for a cup of steaming water. I set the card on top of the cup and let the steam take over. The black dissipates and what is left is a swirl of colors, words glistening on top. It reads:

The Plaza Hotel
TwentyTwo O' hundred
NightAfter Tomorrow

After I finish reading, I brush my fingers on top of the words. As if that did something, the Black Sea overtakes the words. The hot steam still rises up against the card, however nothing happens. I dip it into the scorching water,and nothing. I remember thinking about the situation. Some strange man in a suit worth more than most people’s cars came up to me. I did not have thismysterious card in my pocket prior to meeting him. It’s got some crazy intense heat activation, inviting me somewhere. Should I go? Of course..

The day of ate me away. I walked anxiously back and forth on my hardwood floor,dressed in my finest hand crafted outfit. I'm literally going insane thinking about all this. I almost talked myself out of going multiple times, thinking “You never know what will happen†and others along those lines. Well, against better judgement I go. Plus in all honesty, who wouldn't have been curious??

I arrive at The Plaza Hotel, now what? As I approach the magnificently grand entrance,the door man greets me. He asks if I had a good day. I slip him a $10 for him opening the door, and bringing me to the front desk. The concierge asks me if I have an appointment. I take out the black card, and he says "Oh, I see. Right this way Sir..." He stands still as if he was waiting for a name.
"The names Dr. John Bass. Thank you for leading me Mr. White." I replied assuming his name badge is correct.
"Oh don't thank me Dr. Bass, Just doing my job. Can I see that card?"

He takes the mysterious black card and puts it up to the elevator. As he handed it back to me, he also handed me a vial.

"Drink this Dr. Bass, and enjoy your night." I stepped into the most luxurious elevator I have ever seen. Gold. Gold is everywhere. The buttons are gold, the walls are gold, the floor is gold. I look up, and see the most elegant painting spanning the ceiling. I look down at the vial, do I drink it? Ah what the hell. It tasted sweet, like a glass of Sauternes during the wet season. It feels as if I was in the elevator forever. Literally. Finally it slows, and the gold doors slide open. I hear the sound of smooth jazz playing in the background, and a few laughs. I enter into the room. It’s a very expansive room. Floor to ceiling windows, gold lined everything, off white accents, and claw footed furniture with brown fabric. Something you’d see straight out of the 20s. A gentlemen approaches from the group of 6 people and puts his hand out.

“You must be the new guy. The Names Mr. Rock. Pleasure. Did you drink the vile? Good. Please follow me. Quickly now. Keep up.â€

The way he walked is very suave. He walked with elegance and style. His tuxedo is the most beautiful tuxedo I have ever laid eyes upon. We walk quickly through a living room, a library, and then down another long hallway. All equally as impressive and mind blowing. We stop at the end of the hall. He turns to his group and they walk up to a black door very similar to the design of the card. The more I look at Mr.Rock, the more he looks really familiar, actually all the gentlemen do. He looks at the first gentlemen, and he takes out his card and put it to the door.The card glows white, and then the door burst into a blinding white light. It disappeared. He enters, and the door reappears. Mr. Rock looks at me, and says “Don’t worry, as long as you drank the vial, you’ll be okay. It doesn’t hurt. I promise. I was nervous my first time, just don’t be.â€

One by one I watch his group disappear. Each gentlemen bringing their lady friend with. Then just like that it’s the two of us. He looks over at me and walks up to the door. He pushes his card up against the door, and says “Welcome to the world’s most exclusive club. We here never die. We have some of the most powerful people ever to exist among our club. We control everything from government to the economy. We are pleased to have you aboard, Old Sport.â€

And just like that, he disappeared into the blinding white light. It hits me. I know why he looks so familiar. Actually all the gentlemen. He was John Rockefeller, and they were Andrew Carnegie and J.P. Morgan.

So I take out my black card, press it to the door, and enter into a world I will never forget.

TLDR: DON'T WORRY. IT WAS JUST ME WRITING SOMETHING SMALL LOL READ IT IF YOU HAVE FREE TIME.

I feel violated and need a shower after reading the first paragraph

trtr

Renowned Member
10/3/13
still rock my v3.5 diver as a daily beater and to this day it works perfectly and I still get compliments on it.

special treatment. a few times but it was never in luxury stores, just normal stores and a few restaurants.

"nice watch sir, we're fully booked as you can see but i just noted we've had an opening so we can definitely assist"

WatchKnob

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Supporting Vendor
10/6/13
USA
my gen ap bumblebee never got a single compliment at the racetrack with my clients or anyone else.

barth

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/10/12
My watches get noticed in places like St Tropez (where you casually see RM's in nightclubs like Caves du Roy), Ibiza and expensive nightclubs in Paris. People openly glare at them !

In London, I was at a place called Novikov, in Mayfair. A very expensive restaurant/nightclub directed to rich Arabs, Russian and traders. I was wearing a Rose gold Daytona (that I got from Narikaa lol) when a 30 y.o lady (I was 21) asked me if I was an "investment banker" with a russian acccent. A conversation followed and I learnt she had lots of rich "friends" across the world, and she spent her time visiting them. She was nice, although a bit too rich for my intern blood at the time !!

lovesRM

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
8/10/16
My watches get noticed in places like St Tropez (where you casually see RM's in nightclubs like Caves du Roy), Ibiza and expensive nightclubs in Paris. People openly glare at them !

In London, I was at a place called Novikov, in Mayfair. A very expensive restaurant/nightclub directed to rich Arabs, Russian and traders. I was wearing a Rose gold Daytona (that I got from Narikaa lol) when a 30 y.o lady (I was 21) asked me if I was an "investment banker" with a russian acccent. A conversation followed and I learnt she had lots of rich "friends" across the world, and she spent her time visiting them. She was nice, although a bit too rich for my intern blood at the time !!

Stuff like this only happens to me when traveling across europe as well. Somehow in asia it's a bit frowned upon to stare at some peoples watches or cars.

The only time I ever got into a conversation because of my watch was either in airport lounges, planes or restaurant and clubs in europe. I don't frequent the US that much, so I can't comment on that.

Spend a lot of time in Dubai during the year as well but don't expect anyone to say anything about your watch. RM's left and right.

hubini

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/7/16
Well, over here in Singapore, no one seems to care if you wear an AP or not. I've walked around with my AP Diver and the closest I got to a special treatment was a dirty glare from the manager at the restaurant. :dry:

jamsie

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/12/12
CONUS
In general no one cares like they used to, in reality a girl I was dating who was a make up artist from Boston, and had lived in LA and worked at Barneys near Rodeo in Beverly Hills asked me once, how do you tell if a guy has money walking into a store?, I answered his watch?, his attire? No & no...his shoes. If he is willing to drop $400 and higher on a pair of shoes he has money. Just an observation for what it is worth, and more woman I have known always notice a man's shoes.

minty007

WABAC Machine Escapee
Supporter
Certified
13/5/08
Colorado, USA
In general no one cares like they used to, in reality a girl I was dating who was a make up artist from Boston, and had lived in LA and worked at Barneys near Rodeo in Beverly Hills asked me once, how do you tell if a guy has money walking into a store?, I answered his watch?, his attire? No & no...his shoes. If he is willing to drop $400 and higher on a pair of shoes he has money. Just an observation for what it is worth, and more woman I have known always notice a man's shoes.

Ha! I guess that says a lot about me... who tends to go barefoot any chance I can! :eek:hwell:

minty007

WABAC Machine Escapee
Supporter
Certified
13/5/08
Colorado, USA
You're an animal! :punk:

GrrrBaby.jpg