• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How far a luxury (AP?!) watch can get you? Did that happen to anyone of you guys?)

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
Was just reading an article about a high end watches subscription service (US only) - if the author is taken for his words any of you guys should be getting free airline upgrades, warm attitude by hotel staff, even flirtatious experiences...

Anyone recollecting such experiences (recent or not).

Have a read if you have 3 minutes to spare:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...-reveals-far-wearing-expensive-WATCH-you.html

Here's to all the good things waiting ahead of us RWI members, I knew that this hobby had more to it than just cash siphoning

TheSociety

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
Totally true to some extent. In Ibiza and Cannes everyone knew what I was wearing and complimented on the AP/Patek. And I mean everyone from the waiter to my driver.

In LA where I live and in NY it's more of a close circle where only people in fashion / entertainment notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
He didn't wear an AP, he only wore these
'Over the course of the social experiment, he wore an £8,116 ($10,500) Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe, a £3,015 ($3,900) Bell and Ross 03-92-S and a £4,270 ($5,523) Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronograph.'
I don't think any of these lower end gens get you any big recognition at all. Surely different scenario as [MENTION=109813]TheSociety[/MENTION] said in Cannes, Monaco and other VIP locations. I've experienced it myself in the past.

AP really gets you a lot of looks, so do special Rolex models (i.e. Daytona).

tosoboso

I'm Pretty Popular
5/2/15
He didn't wear an AP - but the article had the AP photo, I wonder why :)

Just the other day I had a customer working for a high end watches retailer - she was very happy with my RC franken :) And the Bvlgari boutique people are always happy to see an AP (highly modded V7) from my experience. In any case, different regions, different experiences...

He didn't wear an AP, he only wore these
'Over the course of the social experiment, he wore an £8,116 ($10,500) Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe, a £3,015 ($3,900) Bell and Ross 03-92-S and a £4,270 ($5,523) Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronograph.'
I don't think any of these lower end gens get you any big recognition at all. Surely different scenario as @TheSociety said in Cannes, Monaco and other VIP locations. I've experienced it myself in the past.

AP really gets you a lot of looks, so do special Rolex models (i.e. Daytona).

elusive1

I'm Pretty Popular
5/12/15
Maybe I should wear my rose gold Schumacher on my asia trip. First class flight upgrade is sorely needed

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
If an economy traveller is dressed in a > $1,000 suit that helps modestly with upgrades during off season, I will admit. But a high-end (rep or gen) watch never helps one bit in getting a reserve at The French Laundry or Le Cinq. Or superior service (think midnight bottles of Krug or a room service plate of foie gras from Helene D'arroze--my sweet French pen pal.--downstairs) at the Langham. This is all a myth manufactured by the Swiss: it is not true at all. If you have walked the Corniche with Tilda and sat moaning at Dennis when he mentioned an "Easy Rider 2" at Rakel: what you were wearing on your wrist did not matter one bit.

RoseGold

7/7/13
Interesting article but I guess it's difficult in South East Asia like Singapore, Shanghai, Hong Kong because most people there wear expensive luxury watches and drive expensive cars. Rolexes are on almost 50-60% of the populations. 60-70% drives a luxury car. You need to be "Super Rich" in order to be noticed in the crowd of Rolexes and BMWs.

rally4444

I'm Pretty Popular
30/3/16
I remember reading an article about a guy borrowing his friends Richard mille and basically being introduced into a whole new world when some random guy at a Restaraunt noticed it

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
Really? Way different in Asia. Almost every sales guy here wears a Rolex minimum. They walk around in brands like LV, Prada and Chanel like emblems on their bags, clothes and belts. And the true rich couldn't care less how their gens are thrown scratched and worn around like g-shocks.

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
I remember reading an article about a guy borrowing his friends Richard mille and basically being introduced into a whole new world when some random guy at a Restaraunt noticed it

Can you find that article?
I would love to read it.

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
I think for me it's more the connection from the horological standpoint. People take you more seriously and is more intrigued when you are chatting with them about their timepieces and know what you're talking about. Yes I've had great services while wearing expensive timepieces but that doesn't mean anything as I'm already paying for premium hotels / flights to begin with.

What is true however is that I have made quite a few people's heart race while swimming / diving with various Rolex (don't know why? They're cheap on the scale of luxury watches) and ceramic AP diver. But if you treat them like you don't care it actually makes it more believable.

I do see that people judge someone's wealth by checking their wrist though. In entertainment / fashion the wrist check is real! First thing I notice most people do when they meet someone new. But again, most people still only recognize Rolex from glancing at your wrist. The classier ones will notice AP and the old money recognizes Pateks.

elusive1

I'm Pretty Popular
5/12/15
I think for me it's more the connection from the horological standpoint. People take you more seriously and is more intrigued when you are chatting with them about their timepieces and know what you're talking about. Yes I've had great services while wearing expensive timepieces but that doesn't mean anything as I'm already paying for premium hotels / flights to begin with.

What is true however is that I have made quite a few people's heart race while swimming / diving with various Rolex (don't know why? They're cheap on the scale of luxury watches) and ceramic AP diver. But if you treat them like you don't care it actually makes it more believable.

I do see that people judge someone's wealth by checking their wrist though. In entertainment / fashion the wrist check is real! First thing I notice most people do when they meet someone new. But again, most people still only recognize Rolex from glancing at your wrist. The classier ones will notice AP and the old money recognizes Pateks.

Definitely, spot on! Would love to see morenpictures of your travels bro!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

Just put on the genuine gold datejust with presidential bracelet confidence booster - and You will magically climb the ladder of power and success.
There´s nothing magic about it: If You feel good, it will give You a noticeable confidence boost, a more commanding voice, a broader smile. People with the gold datejust on the wrist will also give more attention to details: if their tie is sitting straight, if the shoes are well polished, if the hair is combed etc. contributing to a better awareness and better overall look.
It´s good if it works for You, others have a lucky charm or drive the Ferrari to the meeting. People may say what they want, while still climbing the ladder, the accessories often are needed. Only the few at the very top can successfully revert to the hoodie and Casio on the wrist to make a somewhat funny understatement.

Best example for me is the bride: best dress, nice shoes, luxury limo, perfect hairdressing etc. and for that one day any average girl becomes a lady with a special aura and the smiling center of attention. One month later - and without the accessories, all reverts to normal.

Shizzle95

Known Member
15/9/16
Would you be able to reply to my PM whenever you get a minute pal? Thanks [MENTION=109813]TheSociety[/MENTION]

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
How far a luxury (AP?!) watch can get you? Did that happen to anyone of you g...

i'M CLEARLY BORED:

Well you see, it's simple. I'll explain my story.

I was walking around soho one cool, summer night wearing my modded AP Diver ROO. The sun was setting in about an hour, and the work crowd was finally starting to die. I had just left a local soho watering hole, slightly buzzed, when I was approached by a sharp, young man. Immediately I noticed he sported a very impressive Brioni Vanquish II suit (never have I actually seen one in the wild). Anyways, he walked up and asked for the time. I didn't hesitate to flick my wrist up, making the Diver "pop" (you know that feeling) out from under my custom tailored French cuff shirt. When I said "it's half past 7 old sport" he gave a very childish grin. He asked me who my tailor was,and Upon giving him his first name, I watched the sides of his mouth curl up yet again. He shook my hand firmly and off our separate ways we went.

I walked about half a block when I noticed a hard, rectangular object about the size of a business card in my jacket pocket. I took it out to examine whose'business card' I had and stared at it in confusion. It's pure black, solid metal, glistens like a calm ocean during twilight hour, and no writing present.Confused, I put the mysterious black slate in both hands between my thumb and index finger to bend the card. Nothing happens. Now I was even more confused. When I go to let go of the object, I notice impressions where my fingers tips pressed against.

"Oh cool!" I thought. "It's heat activated." The nerd I am instantly took over. I placed the business card between my palms and squeezed them together. What I see is amazing. A swirl of colors behind the black exterior. I saw words dance across the business card. The black instantly swallows the words, and I'm back to square one. I try again to little avail. I walked up to a Halla cart and asked for a cup of steaming water. I set the card on top of the cup and let the steam take over. The black dissipates and what is left is a swirl of colors, words glistening on top. It reads:

The Plaza Hotel
TwentyTwo O' hundred
NightAfter Tomorrow

After I finish reading, I brush my fingers on top of the words. As if that did something, the Black Sea overtakes the words. The hot steam still rises up against the card, however nothing happens. I dip it into the scorching water,and nothing. I remember thinking about the situation. Some strange man in a suit worth more than most people’s cars came up to me. I did not have thismysterious card in my pocket prior to meeting him. It’s got some crazy intense heat activation, inviting me somewhere. Should I go? Of course..

The day of ate me away. I walked anxiously back and forth on my hardwood floor,dressed in my finest hand crafted outfit. I'm literally going insane thinking about all this. I almost talked myself out of going multiple times, thinking “You never know what will happen†and others along those lines. Well, against better judgement I go. Plus in all honesty, who wouldn't have been curious??

I arrive at The Plaza Hotel, now what? As I approach the magnificently grand entrance,the door man greets me. He asks if I had a good day. I slip him a $10 for him opening the door, and bringing me to the front desk. The concierge asks me if I have an appointment. I take out the black card, and he says "Oh, I see. Right this way Sir..." He stands still as if he was waiting for a name.
"The names Dr. John Bass. Thank you for leading me Mr. White." I replied assuming his name badge is correct.
"Oh don't thank me Dr. Bass, Just doing my job. Can I see that card?"

He takes the mysterious black card and puts it up to the elevator. As he handed it back to me, he also handed me a vial.

"Drink this Dr. Bass, and enjoy your night." I stepped into the most luxurious elevator I have ever seen. Gold. Gold is everywhere. The buttons are gold, the walls are gold, the floor is gold. I look up, and see the most elegant painting spanning the ceiling. I look down at the vial, do I drink it? Ah what the hell. It tasted sweet, like a glass of Sauternes during the wet season. It feels as if I was in the elevator forever. Literally. Finally it slows, and the gold doors slide open. I hear the sound of smooth jazz playing in the background, and a few laughs. I enter into the room. It’s a very expansive room. Floor to ceiling windows, gold lined everything, off white accents, and claw footed furniture with brown fabric. Something you’d see straight out of the 20s. A gentlemen approaches from the group of 6 people and puts his hand out.

“You must be the new guy. The Names Mr. Rock. Pleasure. Did you drink the vile? Good. Please follow me. Quickly now. Keep up.â€

The way he walked is very suave. He walked with elegance and style. His tuxedo is the most beautiful tuxedo I have ever laid eyes upon. We walk quickly through a living room, a library, and then down another long hallway. All equally as impressive and mind blowing. We stop at the end of the hall. He turns to his group and they walk up to a black door very similar to the design of the card. The more I look at Mr.Rock, the more he looks really familiar, actually all the gentlemen do. He looks at the first gentlemen, and he takes out his card and put it to the door.The card glows white, and then the door burst into a blinding white light. It disappeared. He enters, and the door reappears. Mr. Rock looks at me, and says “Don’t worry, as long as you drank the vial, you’ll be okay. It doesn’t hurt. I promise. I was nervous my first time, just don’t be.â€

One by one I watch his group disappear. Each gentlemen bringing their lady friend with. Then just like that it’s the two of us. He looks over at me and walks up to the door. He pushes his card up against the door, and says “Welcome to the world’s most exclusive club. We here never die. We have some of the most powerful people ever to exist among our club. We control everything from government to the economy. We are pleased to have you aboard, Old Sport.â€

And just like that, he disappeared into the blinding white light. It hits me. I know why he looks so familiar. Actually all the gentlemen. He was John Rockefeller, and they were Andrew Carnegie and J.P. Morgan.

So I take out my black card, press it to the door, and enter into a world I will never forget.

TLDR: DON'T WORRY. IT WAS JUST ME WRITING SOMETHING SMALL LOL READ IT IF YOU HAVE FREE TIME.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
<= can you imagine a post like FiloViradeai's on a gen forum? That is why I love this place. Something Schnitlzer-esque about the whole narrative sequence, esp. towards the end. The Oenological freak in me would change "It had a sweet taste that I will never forget." to "It had a sweet taste like a Sauternes from a very wet year." Love it. Are you published?

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
<= can you imagine a post like FiloViradeai's on a gen forum? That is why I love this place. Something Schnitlzer-esque about the whole narrative sequence, esp. towards the end. The Oenological freak in me would change "It had a sweet taste that I will never forget." to "It had a sweet taste like a Sauternes from a very wet year." Love it. Are you published?

Thanks mate! And I completely agree. Your line is better. (I'll change it out when I get on a computer! Ive always wanted to try Sauternes, as I like sweet wine better.) I was running out of time, if the traffic was a little worse Going to work, I could have kept going [emoji23] I just enjoy writing. That's it. RWI has inspired me to write a book. Just my grammar is absolutely terrible, and I have a very hard Time keeping the same tense. But that's what an editors for, right?

Shizzle95

Known Member
15/9/16
Thanks mate! And I completely agree. Your line is better. (I'll change it out when I get on a computer! Ive always wanted to try Sauternes, as I like sweet wine better.) I was running out of time, if the traffic was a little worse Going to work, I could have kept going [emoji23] I just enjoy writing. That's it. RWI has inspired me to write a book. Just my grammar is absolutely terrible, and I have a very hard Time keeping the same tense. But that's what an editors for, right?

You seriously wrote that and made it up yourself? Wow that was exquisite reading mate!