• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Honest Review: The Clean Pepsi Sucks

Mark1937

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Your date window appears slightly smaller than the random gen, but there are always some minor variations. Your font size couldn't be any closer. I wouldn't think about changing anything as long as the crystal sitting height is close to gen.

Thank you very much Master!

Reactions: KJ2020

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
Yes bro. That combo was best for date mag, which I prioritize. Crystal sitting height was fine too. Also no problem on WP test. I never tried to press the gen gasket because it was a no go for date mag but while it was negligibly thicker, it was way tougher and denser. Since then, I could not press a rep SD43 retaining ring over a gen SD43 crystal and gasket for the same reason. Just not happening. On that one I had to lightly shave (sand) the outer thickness down on the gen gasket since the SD43 crystal is a much less common size and aftermarket gaskets are not plentiful.

Bro where can I buy clark gasket 2.85?

furthermore, shaving the gen gasket is difficult? does it shave inside or outside?

as you know i am building my batman franken but using the gasket gen when we put the ring nut the gasket bends as it is too thick and the ring nut takes it down tilting the crystal...

Can you help me?

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Bro where can I buy clark gasket 2.85?

furthermore, shaving the gen gasket is difficult? does it shave inside or outside?

as you know i am building my batman franken but using the gasket gen when we put the ring nut the gasket bends as it is too thick and the ring nut takes it down tilting the crystal...

Can you help me?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234470883635?hash=item36978dc133:g:sggAAOxy~dNQ~Yb-

I explained how to shave the gen gasket outer perimeter in another thread, I'll try to link it here.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Yes please bro, I can't find your thread...

"A solution I have used for the too thick gen crystal gaskets is to thin the outer perimeter of the gasket. Just put the gasket on a junk crystal, hold it on edge and swipe/roll it in measured even strokes across a flat piece of 400 grit sandpaper on a bench. This is the same technique I use for shaving aluminum inserts when they are too big in diameter. There is plenty of material on the gen gasket to be able to remove 0.1mm or so (0.05mm all around) and not impact WR. Similarly, any gasket height can be achieved by shaving the bottom edge while gently pressing the crystal and gasket flat onto the sandpaper. 400 grit can leave a gasket surface slightly rough, but this is an unseen cosmetic issue. The seal that matters is the inner gasket perimeter against the outside of the rehaut. Finer grade paper can be used for a smoother finish if desired - 600 or 800. Black sandpaper should not be used as it can stain a gasket.

I've done this multiple times successfully without compromising WP. I prioritize correct date mag, then try to get as close to proper sitting height as possible. Often you can get very close to achieving both goals."

I'll add that only a little should come off and then a test fitting attempted. You don't want the retaining ring to slide down over the gasket easily or it won't hold properly.

Reactions: wisedennis

Swiss_goupil

Patron
Certified
7/12/19
Last Kingdom
I picked up a v2 recently m2m and the hands aren't great. Especially the lume is rubbish - much darker compared to the dial and non uniform - might be bad luck on this particular model. Do anyone know where I could get a replacement set (funnily enough the lume on the gmt hand is perfect)? Maybe an ARF set if it will fit?

I have seen lots on AliE but not sure re quality.

wisedennis

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
11/11/22
CONUS USA
If your movement feels gritty it probably needs a servicing. That's hit or miss with reps, I have plenty that are running well with smooth crown operation years after purchase including several VR3185s.

The VR3185/6 movements are generally rock solid movements and are far and away the top tier rep Rolex GMT movements available. The hands wobble that occurs during hour jumping is a byproduct of the 3185 design and the gen 3185 exhibits the exact same characteristic. The gen 3186 was developed specifically to eliminate this issue but the re-design resulted in a weaker jump click part. Rolex has had to update the part twice and is now using the third version in the 3186.

joJBRD.jpg

Gen jumping hour click springs compared

There are two versions of the VR GMT movement, both are based on the gen 3185 so RWI decided to call the first one the VR3185. The only difference in the second version is a fake deco plate on the balance assembly to make it look like a gen balance. And the regulator arms were moved to the opposite side. Both are engraved 3186.

jYeAcI.jpg

The hands wobble exhibited on these VR rep movements should be accepted as welcome confirmation that you have the best movement. The other Rolex rep GMT movements (2824 CHS, SA3186, SH3186, SA3285 are vastly inferior by comparison and should be avoided.

The CF bezel assemblies are indeed a significant shortcoming and at its price we should certainly expect better. GMF, VRF, ROF, and some other bezels are much better but every rep has its flaws so we have to pick our poison.

I currently have a couple dozen GMT reps including two CFs and rate them close to the top of the heap for what's currently available OOTB. Prices are climbing for all reps so are they worth the money? Probably not, but few are anymore.

Even the highly touted VSF Sub 41 has a couple of real downer flaws - the SEL mid link definition is noticeably slight and the cyclops has obscene edge distortion. But I have a couple of those too and place them close to the top of the heap as well.

16431497050211.jpg

16430899741460.jpg

More on the CF bezel in the link below if anyone is interested

Post #3285

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...9#post10449759

"Love em for what they are and don't hate em for what they're not" keeps me happy in my fantasy land. That's all this hobby is after all.

"Love em for what they are and don't hate em for what they're not" keeps me happy in my fantasy land. That's all this hobby is after all.

@KJ2020 bro; I feel happy just by reading your posts and learning from your understanding of different Watch/modding process .. that’s a part of my hobby too

Reactions: KJ2020 and Karbon74