• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Has anyone ever been called out on your Panerai Rep ?

hurk

The sound of barf
Supporter
Certified
10/5/11
A week ago, i had this guy at a rental car place ask if my sub was real. I told him it wasnt, and then this knucklehead has the balls to pull up his sleeve and flaunt his ceramic hulk with the nastiest clasp and numerals almost black like the v6 and tells me, i got this from my in laws for my wedding....

the balls on some people....

on the other hand, if i ever i got called out, i used to sometimes daydream running into rwi member in the wild and end up getting drunk and having a get together, rob a bank, you know....the usual stuff

Woldemar

8/8/16
Unlike TAG, Rolex, Omega, Seiko, G-Shock, Michael Corrs or Michéle watches - for 99% of people Panerai is just a big, black watch. At the second look, it´s a very strange looking, big, black watch - probably from China or Taiwan, no Swiss or Italian would ever make a watch like that.
Unless You´re going to a Panerai convention or frequent the upper class of the Worlds Metropoles, the chances to be called out are like 0,00001%
- and they all look exactly the same.......

Greate notice! Perfectly agree with you. Very often my Carbotech is considered like an "ugly old watch"))) When people ask me what is it, I say a"plastic thing with rubber")))

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Woldemar

8/8/16
lol, thanks - and congrats on the Carbotech!

Thank you very much indeed!
8a3d5057de66a42b1d6bcbe141f826b5.jpg

kazn

Known Member
18/4/15
TBH on a closed Caseback PAM it would be almost impossible for anyone to tell its a fake. PAMs these days are so well built.

On a quick note I drive my daily car which is a toyota Yaris worth $5k wearing my Gen Rolex 116613LB and my Gen IWC which are worht 3 x the amount of the car. Dont judge a book by its cover.
+1 here [emoji6] my gen watch collection is worth a few times that of my car! Also got a Toyota myself, used it to go fishing, work, diving. Only needs to do oil and filter every 6 months, service centre and parts everywhere. Best thing ever.

On OP's topic - no never been called out. Most people don't even know what a pam is.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
TBH on a closed Caseback PAM it would be almost impossible for anyone to tell its a fake. PAMs these days are so well built.

On a quick note I drive my daily car which is a toyota Yaris worth $5k wearing my Gen Rolex 116613LB and my Gen IWC which are worht 3 x the amount of the car. Dont judge a book by its cover.

Ya agree. There's no way anyone could call you out on a PAM! My friend has a gen 243 and side by side we genuinely couldn't work out which is gen. The overall look, feel and build quality of the reps is easily on par with gen.

Also, yes, most serious watch collectors know not to judge a book by its cover but let's face it, most ordinary men expect someone with a $30k AP to be driving a lambo or whatever (if not, then the watch is fake). Lol.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
^ That may be true. I personally know someone who has a $140k RM Rose Gold who drives a Toyota Corolla as a daily. LOL

PAM1983

I'm Pretty Popular
6/4/15
To wear or not to wear the Noob Pam 372 to the Panerai Classic Yacht Challenge today? I think it would be a 90% chance no one would tell but you always get that one guy asking to see it up close. Not wearing it today. Even though I will feel a bit naked on the wrist. Would you wear it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
To wear or not to wear the Noob Pam 372 to the Panerai Classic Yacht Challenge today? I think it would be a 90% chance no one would tell but you always get that one guy asking to see it up close. Not wearing it today. Even though I will feel a bit naked on the wrist. Would you wear it ?

Why, are you participating in any official capacity during the race? If so, of course it would only be proper to wear only gens. Otherwise, wear as you please.

PAM1983

I'm Pretty Popular
6/4/15
Why, are you participating in any official capacity during the race? If so, of course it would only be proper to wear only gens. Otherwise, wear as you please.

Nope. No official capacity at all.
Still I won't wear it. I almost bought a gen last night for $6100.00. Not worth it right now.

If the noob fixed the CP and font was deeper I would wear it. But it's just not good enough. If I had the Noob 111 V3/4 I would all day long. Lol.

lmmo

Renowned Member
2/2/15
Very unlikely to be called out in my opinion.

Today I was wearing a PAM210 H Fac, which is not even a true super rep (there is the issue of the spacing in the "PANER AI").

While shopping, a guy approach me to compliment my watch. Then he asked "what brand is it"? :)

Most people don't even know what a Panerai is, specially for models without the crown guard.

D

d4m.test

In real life You will always get distracted - just try to get a good glimpse if the PAM is gen - see, it doesn´t work:)
Heidi-Klum-wearing-Panerai-Radiomir.jpg

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
In real life You will always get distracted - just try to get a good glimpse if the PAM is gen - see, it doesn´t work:)
Heidi-Klum-wearing-Panerai-Radiomir.jpg

Lol.

Yes true but it depends on who you're trying to fool.

If you're trying to fool the general public in a public area, then a $100 rep would probably fool "99%" of the general public.

If you're trying to fool Panerai enthusiasts at a convention or even trying to fool your "watch people" work colleagues - then there is a small chance you may get in to an awkward/embarrassing situation.

For instance, work colleague says "nice PAM, let's take a look".....and the social expectation would be to show him your PAM for a closer look (whilst it is on your wrist).

Even in this situation, it would be very very difficult to get called out with a modern PAM rep IMO.

However, best bet is not to pretend it's gen but let's face it....a massive number of members DO pretend it's gen (hence why we regularly get these type of threads (btw, nothing wrong with pretending it's gen to fool friends etc. part of the fun.

Petrotime88

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/8/16
I would always tell people that it is a rep. Nothing wrong with it if you are being honest and straight up.

once people discover that you have one fake watch, they automatically assume all you other watches are fake too. So might as well be honest from the beginning.

parkshiska07

1/8/16
I've been called out just once by a teen lol . Had my big bang black magic v6 on. I was in my cousins wedding , and i was sitted next to a 15 year old boy, with a gen AP diver (he is the son of a drugdealer here in colombia) We were talking about some sh1t about the family, and then he looked at my watch and told me " my dad has the same one ! :) , is that right mom? " Suddenly his mom and him were looking at my watch. ( I know they knew it was a replica , but they didnt say anything about it beacuse they are very kind and humble , but they knewwww! The funniest thing is that they have a toyota prado 2015 , a mazda 6 2013, and a mazda 2 2013, but they have millions of million of millions of dollars. Most of the druglords here in colombia have alot of money and you look at them and they dont pretend to have money , CRAZY SH@T ! Greetings from colombia , great forum !!

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
I've been called out just once by a teen lol . Had my big bang black magic v6 on. I was in my cousins wedding , and i was sitted next to a 15 year old boy, with a gen AP diver (he is the son of a drugdealer here in colombia) We were talking about some sh1t about the family, and then he looked at my watch and told me " my dad has the same one ! :) , is that right mom? " Suddenly his mom and him were looking at my watch. ( I know they knew it was a replica , but they didnt say anything about it beacuse they are very kind and humble , but they knewwww! The funniest thing is that they have a toyota prado 2015 , a mazda 6 2013, and a mazda 2 2013, but they have millions of million of millions of dollars. Most of the druglords here in colombia have alot of money and you look at them and they dont pretend to have money , CRAZY SH@T ! Greetings from colombia , great forum !!

A druglord's kid? Well wrong or not, I would not even think of correcting him. Hahaha

I actually have mostly the opposite reaction. It usually happens in the office pantry, and some managers tell me "Hey, that's a very nice watch, I think I saw it on some movies (usually Jason Statham or the Expendables movies by Stallone). It must cost a lot." I come clean and tell them "Nah, it's a nice watch but it doesn't cost anywhere what you think. It's just a good copy. I bought these from an online seller in China." Then they invariably answer "Pfft. You're being too modest. We're your buddies, we're not going to rob you. :lol: We know you can afford it." I don't even try to argue as the discussion keeps on going back to the point that I can afford to get it. I did manage to convince one of the more senior managers to believe me, well, sort of, because I had him receive a watch in Shenzhen. Then when he got back and gave me the watch, he said "So you really get them from China huh?" I said "I told you didn't I?" After that he remarked "It's sure brave of you to have such expensive watches shipped through courier. I know how much they cost, I visited the boutique in Hong Kong on my way back." :lol: Ah well, I tried. Like they say, ignorance is bliss. :D

parkshiska07

1/8/16
A druglord's kid? Well wrong or not, I would not even think of correcting him. Hahaha

I actually have mostly the opposite reaction. It usually happens in the office pantry, and some managers tell me "Hey, that's a very nice watch, I think I saw it on some movies (usually Jason Statham or the Expendables movies by Stallone). It must cost a lot." I come clean and tell them "Nah, it's a nice watch but it doesn't cost anywhere what you think. It's just a good copy. I bought these from an online seller in China." Then they invariably answer "Pfft. You're being too modest. We're your buddies, we're not going to rob you. :lol: We know you can afford it." I don't even try to argue as the discussion keeps on going back to the point that I can afford to get it. I did manage to convince one of the more senior managers to believe me, well, sort of, because I had him receive a watch in Shenzhen. Then when he got back and gave me the watch, he said "So you really get them from China huh?" I said "I told you didn't I?" After that he remarked "It's sure brave of you to have such expensive watches shipped through courier. I know how much they cost, I visited the boutique in Hong Kong on my way back." :lol: Ah well, I tried. Like they say, ignorance is bliss. :D

WOW You are cleverr af , i wish i had some of that smoothness when someone calls me out LOL

PAM1983

I'm Pretty Popular
6/4/15
Got home a few hours ago. Trust me when I say our reps are fvcking amazing. Especially the 372 and the Noobs in general are super close. None of the Panerai Reps have a clue about what watch they are wearing. None of them could tell me what model number they were. Plus the new models have skinny crowns. No Sh!t. Check it out
8cbc557c6e441cdc449f1eca6c3b49af.jpg

e008f49e91a8a79ea587fbeb5658bc93.jpg

The rest were normal.
f786edae4b0231fb07b7f2b889df1f4a.jpg

0e180420b804bad45396c91262b2f302.jpg

9da832a8b637acec5623dff1f0487f28.jpg

161210ccde6dcc1cbcab600c150552f7.jpg
f91025acdfb2eaa7b40d3042de16b6fa.jpg

chowychow

Known Member
25/7/16
Generally I guess its pretty rare to be called out but today while waiting for the elevator to go up to the office one of the customers saw my Noob 111 and was commenting about how great it looks. When I told him it was a rep from China, he didn't believe me until I showed him the link on intime and even then he said I was still pulling a fast one on him. He insisted it looked too gen link to be a rep.

So I would say for the super reps it is pretty hard for most of the general public to know.

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Generally I guess its pretty rare to be called out but today while waiting for the elevator to go up to the office one of the customers saw my Noob 111 and was commenting about how great it looks. When I told him it was a rep from China, he didn't believe me until I showed him the link on intime and even then he said I was still pulling a fast one on him. He insisted it looked too gen link to be a rep.

So I would say for the super reps it is pretty hard for most of the general public to know.
He didn't actually say "gen like" though. Only rep enthusiasts say that