• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Has anyone called you out for wearing a replica?

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I never understood this thing. So next time a guy knocks on your car window while you are waiting for a green light in Avenida Reforma, what are you going to do? Tell him to inspect the SELs and bezel insert numerals to demonstrate it's a ZZF v2 instead of a $10,000 Rolex Submariner?

Hand the rep over and be grateful it wasn’t a £10k gen?

Go home, Pick up the phone to VSF and get another one shipped over.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
If I was going to be mugged, possibly murdered, for my watch, then I’d rather die with the smug knowledge that my mugger was only getting away with a $400 watch that they would later be exchanging for a score from their drug dealer, rather than a $10,000 watch, that they would later be exchanging for a score from their drug dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha, brilliant. The karma watch!

Reactions: alexcast

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Hand the rep over and be grateful it wasn’t a £10k gen?

Go home, Pick up the phone to VSF and get another one shipped over.

Well... in Mexico your chances of handing the watch politely before being shot are quite slim, unfortunately. That's why I found it a bit puzzling. EU or UK is another thing, but I would never wear anything with a crown on it in Mexico, fake or genuine (same in Brazil or Colombia, actually).

sw821

Known Member
17/1/21
Well... in Mexico your chances of handing the watch politely before being shot are quite slim, unfortunately. That's why I found it a bit puzzling. EU or UK is another thing, but I would never wear anything with a crown on it in Mexico, fake or genuine (same in Brazil or Colombia, actually).

Exactly...

UnluckyXIII

Known Member
22/8/17
I never understood this thing. So next time a guy knocks on your car window while you are waiting for a green light in Avenida Reforma, what are you going to do? Tell him to inspect the SELs and bezel insert numerals to demonstrate it's a ZZF v2 instead of a $10,000 Rolex Submariner?

BEeJ6p.gif

GottaHave

Known Member
28/12/20

I'm in Mexico as I write and I wear my genuine Breitling Blackbird, Omega Speedmaster & Tag Carrera each day & nobody takes any notice.

FTR I'm not a UFC champion that scares people off either. :biggrin:

I'm not going to say Mexico is perfectly safe, however, it ain't half as dangerous as people, the press & Hollywood make out.
Don't accept or do drugs in any manner in Mexico & they don't even take a glance at you.

I've been far more concerned about safety & theft at night in the US & Australia.

Of course YMMV.

alexcast

23/6/19
I'm in Mexico as I write and I wear my genuine Breitling Blackbird, Omega Speedmaster & Tag Carrera each day & nobody takes any notice.

FTR I'm not a UFC champion that scares people off either. :biggrin:

I'm not going to say Mexico is perfectly safe, however, it ain't half as dangerous as people, the press & Hollywood make out.
Don't accept or do drugs in any manner in Mexico & they don't even take a glance at you.

I've been far more concerned about safety & theft at night in the US & Australia.

Of course YMMV.

Dangerous places In Mexico to wear any watch

- Polanco
- Santa Fe
- centro
- condesa
- any traffic jam and red lights
- secondary streets

Walking down the streets, being at any restaurant, driving

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Reactions: Hinclimincli

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Dangerous places In Mexico to wear any watch

- Polanco
- Santa Fe
- centro
- condesa
- any traffic jam and red lights
- secondary streets

Walking down the streets, being at any restaurant, driving
Note taken: no vacation in Mexico.

Reactions: Dokraven

gcp42

Horology Curious
27/12/20
Having owned gens and reps for years I can report that not a single person has questioned authenticity of any watch I’ve worn. Most people don’t notice that I’m even wearing a watch, while the ones that do either are watch folks and are courteous enough not to ask, or just don’t care. That being said, I’ve never shown up to a ‘watch’ event with a rep, so who knows really. Like others have said, maybe anyone that sees Rolex on the dial assumes it’s fake...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rj999

SHB

Mythical Poster
31/10/18
Earth
If you wear a rolex it's assumed to be fake.

That's why I wear a tudor gmt as daily so no one say "oh rolex ah oh he fake he oh ha?" lol

Tbh, even if you wear a gen rolex or a shitter 99.9% of peeps won't see a single difference and they most of the time start by "it's a fake".

Reactions: tony8028