• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Has anyone called you out for wearing a replica?

sw821

Known Member
17/1/21
I don't have friends that collect watches or super interested in this topic, but I do have many friends with genuine pieces they got as a present from their parents or grandparents and all the times I am wearing a gen watch, the only thing they care about is the cost of the watch.

So all my watches conversations with them have been:

People - "Hey, nice watch, Can I see it?"

Me - "Sure! Just be careful please"

People - "Nice, how much?"

People don't take enough time checking the watch, they just wanna see the crown, the anchor or the greek symbol, and after 2/3 secs they just give it back.

It is also true that If people are used to see you wearing a gen watch (doesn't matter the brand) 150% they will beleive that your new rep is also a gen, and on the other side, encountering an expert between friends that would call you out in front of everyone for your rep it's almost impossible apart from rude.

Also let's be real... how many friends you guys know that have a normal job, normal house, normal expenses and suddenly they buy a 10.000€ motorcycle? So why not a Submariner?

Before I joined this forum and knew more about really good reps, I wore a DH shitter DJ 41 mm with diamond dial to a cocktail party. The richest guy in the room who drove a Ferrari to the event complemented me on my Rolex, saying he left his at home. I had to laugh! But if anyone asks I always tell the truth. Chinese knock off!

Best way, people will say it's a fake just to look knowledegable , then say the hand should be sweeping even when it is. I always agree when they say fake, even if the watch is genuine. There is nowhere to go from an agreement and you can have the pleasure of complimenting them on their sharp eye every time you see them...... ;)

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
People - "Hey, nice watch, Can I see it?"

Me - "Sure! Just be careful please"

You NEVER let people handle your gen watch (any watch actually), unless they are really really close, or on a table /safe space. You don't want anyone dropping your watch and be stuck in a very sticky situation lol

It is also true that If people are used to see you wearing a gen watch (doesn't matter the brand) 150% they will beleive that your new rep is also a gen

True, unless you show them a new rep every month lmao

encountering an expert between friends that would call you out in front of everyone for your rep it's almost impossible apart from rude.

I doubt that a friend would call you out in public, you don't even do it for random people in front of them. If they are close friends they would ask you in private i guess lol

So why not a Submariner?

Because a watch is not a motorcycle, and you don't buy a new motorcycle every 6 months :p

altaylar1

Known Member
23/9/20
You NEVER let people handle your gen watch (any watch actually), unless they are really really close, or on a table /safe space. You don't want anyone dropping your watch and be stuck in a very sticky situation lol

I doubt that a friend would call you out in public, you don't even do it for random people in front of them. If they are close friends they would ask you in private i guess lol

Because a watch is not a motorcycle, and you don't buy a new motorcycle every 6 months :p

Very good points actually. The thing is, unless you are living from paycheck to paycheck, I guess it is possible to save enough to get a Submariner in a developed country. But if you see someone having an average life, and a new Rolex every other month or so, that wouldnt mean much room to believe they are gen.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Very good points actually. The thing is, unless you are living from paycheck to paycheck, I guess it is possible to save enough to get a Submariner in a developed country. But if you see someone having an average life, and a new Rolex every other month or so, that wouldnt mean much room to believe they are gen.

Yep, one could get a beautiful 16613 for as much as 7500 euros, and that is a very good two tone watch. The problem arises if you get a 16613, then a daytona, then a PP, then an AP every other month lol

alexcast

23/6/19
I live in Mexico City, as in many big cities crime is to high and I have been mugged three times while I was stuck in traffic, all three times the criminals took my gens father that I decided to wear reps and keep my gens inside the vault at home, I only use gens at special events or important business meetings, sad but true

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
they won't even know what a RM is or what it's worth
I looked it up at trusty's site.. because I didnt know what it was.. and ooo boy, thats some very ugly watches! (my opinion, dont mean to offend anyone, but my glord thats ugly stuff)

sw821

Known Member
17/1/21

Hahahaha good points actually...

Never say never but forthe moment, I don't plan buying 15 reps, maybe 10 yeah... xdxdxd

UnluckyXIII

Known Member
22/8/17
Since the majority of people don’t even notice/acknowledge that I’m wearing a watch in the first place I’d say it’s unlikely I’ll ever face anyone challenging the authenticity of it. I also only tend to get lower tier reps (Seamaster, Submariner etc) so it’s quite believable that I would/could own multiple gens within that tier.

On the flip side I’ve seen a lot of reps (usually Canal street quality) but I’d never call someone on it, what do I care if they want to wear a £50 Daytona replica?

MarkMarky

Renowned Member
30/6/13
USA
Hey all,
About 70% of the public don't even look at your watch. The 30% that do, can appreciate it. Out of that 30%, 5% really know the watch, and out of that 5%, about 5% would know if it's a replica. And out of THAT group, the chances of them SAYING anything is slim. If they do say something, they're d*cks.

All those percentages are off if its Rolex. If they notice the watch, by default the first question is always..is it real? Happens all the time to many folks unless you are well known money man!

Last edited:

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I live in Mexico City, as in many big cities crime is to high and I have been mugged three times while I was stuck in traffic, all three times the criminals took my gens father that I decided to wear reps and keep my gens inside the vault at home, I only use gens at special events or important business meetings, sad but true

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I was robbed in mexico once

Reactions: AlphaProt