• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ginault owner's comparison to reps?

Gaspacho

24/5/23
EU
In the past I've bought a v6 and v7 directly from the guy, still have both. Lost interest in reps shortly after that, now I kinda regretted because only have heard of Ginault like 6 months ago and would have loved to get my hands on a brand new OR1 at decent prices. The SS unfortunately does nothing for me.

Reactions: OI812

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
In the past I bought a v6 and v7 directly from the guy, still have both. Lost interest in reps shortly after that, now I kinda regret it because only have heard of Ginault like 6 months ago and would have loved to get my hands on a brand new OR1 at decent prices. The SS unfortunately does nothing for me.
For me the OR is a much nicer looking watch - though it was nice to see them trying something a bit different with the SS. I really like the brand, so will probably buy their next model, though no news yet on when that might happen, or what it might be. Usual rumours of a GMT, etc. but who knows. I think it will be a good fews years away.

elconquistador

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/6/10
Purchased a Silent Service on WUS, it really is great, but only made me want an Ocean Rover II more. So now I have one of those on the way.

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
My OR won't tick anymore :( Should I get it serviced or get a movement replacement?
I’d get it serviced. The original movement is part of the watch history for me, so I’d go that route first.

I’d send it to one of the watch smiths on this forum.

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
@WatchSmith.US When I look at the movement certificate it only mentions Caliber 7275 Movement 0mm:26mm Movement Thickness:4.65mm. Could this be an in-house movement?
Yes, that's their in-house movement. ETA 2824-2 clone.

Reactions: sgt.njoy

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
@WatchSmith.US When I look at the movement certificate it only mentions Caliber 7275 Movement 0mm:26mm Movement Thickness:4.65mm. Could this be an in-house movement?
Get a new Sellita SW200-1 and replace the 7275. You will also have to swap out the H4 pinion set and datewheel. Sometimes you can order the H4 set but seems like every time I try they're out of stock.

Reactions: sgt.njoy

sgt.njoy

M2M Camper
Certified
2/10/18
Illinois
I want to try different bezel inserts, but aftermarket inserts come with the standard white pearl. Given I have the sand lume version I want to make the pearl the same color or close to it. I know I have weird OCD... I've heard about putting it in the baking oven and pearl would burn. Has anyone actually tried this method and how the result turned out?

Reactions: johnlogan

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
@KJ2020 do you have any good experience with ageing the peal?
Post number 8

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Post number 8

Bro if you tap on the post # itself it will give you a direct link

@sgt.njoy Yes heat is probably the best way. I've done a few by baking in the oven or frying in a pan on stove top. Experiment with a junk insert as it's a bit unpredictable!

sgt.njoy

M2M Camper
Certified
2/10/18
Illinois
Post number 8

My god. My hand skills sucks, so I would completely melt the bezel lol

Alex_6ix

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
4/6/13
if I could source an OR1 would it still be a good option as a base to build a Franken 16610LN?

id probably use:

VS3135 - Can this fit? would I need to send teh watch case out to make it fit?
Gen Dial
Gen crystal
Gen date wheel
Gen hands
Gen insert

good idea if $ was no object?

Reaps

-
25/9/22
if I could source an OR1 would it still be a good option as a base to build a Franken 16610LN?

id probably use:

VS3135 - Can this fit? would I need to send teh watch case out to make it fit?
Gen Dial
Gen crystal
Gen date wheel
Gen hands
Gen insert

good idea if $ was no object?
No a Vietnam case or TC case is better.