• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best aftermarket hands for a Rolex 16800 build?

Moondustesp

Known Member
29/5/15
Hi guys I am in the process of collecting parts for Rolex 16800 build. I have a genuine dial that is a gloss turned matt. I am on the look out for hands. Wondering on thoughts for best hands to use. I hear star time a decent? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance guys.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
In case you were not aware and decide to go with ST hands, Startime is designed for business professionals like jewellers and watchmakers. You have to have an account with them to be eligible to purchase. To get an account, you have to present proof of business credentials. Alternately, you can be a member of a watchmaker's organization, the National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors (NAWCC). You can get an introductory membership in NAWCC for $30. Provide your member number to Startime to register an account. Make a purchase to activate your account. The account then remains permanent and you can let your NAWCC membership expire.

Moondustesp

Known Member
29/5/15
I didn’t know that. Thanks for the heads up. I am really looking forward to completing this project. So far I have a genuine dial, insert and datewheel.

Reactions: KJ2020

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Start time is the best aftermarket imo. That, plus there are not that many aftermarket hands that fit 3135/3035s.

The only thing you would be to do is the match the lume color on the hands.

If you’re OCD like I am, check the edges with a 10x loupe and check the pointy bits and make sure they’re not completely sharp. I sand mine very gently to slightly round the ends. This is a hit or miss tho. I had some that shows up perfectly rounded ends and some show up that are sharp as knives.

You can also have the lume slightly off color since they do tend to change colors much slower than the markers.

The Pearl is a bit tricky. You can buy a gen tritium Pearl insert for a few hundred bucks but I went with my method of holding the Pearl with steel tweezers and a lighter. Hold the Pearl up to about an inch away from the back of it for a few seconds and then flip it over so the clear Pearl (make sure it has a sapphire crystal cap and not plastic or nothing at all) for a few seconds and you get a nice brown color.

f1581d12df1f8ce29621ecc58843e0ca.jpg

df47b1f35764ae2e1d25bdfa562c18bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moondustesp

Known Member
29/5/15
The lume on my genuine dial and insert pearl match luckily. They are just off white so a fresh set of hands should look ok tbh. Would be nice if it all glowed but is what it is. Can’t wait to get this build complete

Reactions: KJ2020

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Hands on way. Apparently JF hands that have been relumed.

JF hands are..ok at best. The seconds had is a major tell tho. The top on the pinion looks like a dinner plate. Flat and wide.

The min and hour hands ok. Some do have very sharp tips. I don’t know if you prefer that but I used some very find sandpaper and gently sanded them to a nice sharp but rounded tip.

I would have sold you a set of ST hands. Already relumed to a cream color. I have an extra set if you still need a set after getting the JF hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Moondustesp