• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gauging interest for a APROO caseset

buffedupboy

Known Member
15/2/13
So fellas,

I've been toying with the idea of getting some APROO gen replacement parts made. Subsequently I thought to myself, since I'm going to be making a bezel, then screws, then the strap attachments, I might as well see whether people are interested in a complete caseset. Now, as you well know there is no one supplying any parts for such a build, so you will be pretty much either making your own dials/ hands or just buying what we will make. Why a caseset you may ask? Well, here is what I thought it can be useful for:

1) As replacement parts for gen. If you have a gen and have any part damaged beyond repair or find a gen that is damaged with good price, you can buy the parts and swap out the damaged part.
2) As a casekit for a franken watch. For those in the know, the movement is an LWO 283 which you can source sometimes on the bay OR take out from a Tag donor watch. You can buy a gen dial and hands (we will also make replacement gen hands) and then make your own franken watch.
3) We will also create a separate movement ring and thick caseback to accomodate a chinese (shanghai) movement with seconds at 12. The watch will run out to 16mm thickness but you get gen dial height, assymetric crown/ pusher layout as gen, gen construction. This is useful as you can come out with your own dial (we will also supply the movements with the caseset), and come out with your own homage versions.
4) The caseset version in (3) can be used to swap in a rep dial/ movement/ hands to achieve a gen like appearance from the top, although the overall thickness will increase about 0.6mm over the reps, but it will look identical to gen from the front, as you can see the biggest tell for me is really the dial height since the crystal for rep is 1.5mm and gen is 3.5mm.
5) We may come out with a homage version of the watch, both a sterile version dial or our own interpretation dial and hands.

All in all, it should be an interesting project other than the usual pam/ rol homages. lets discuss this and give me your views. The drawings have just been finished, so we should be ready to go soon.

30xfqkg.jpg

Xtian

Renowned Member
13/4/12
Not an expert and not a person you'd hope to respond with a vast technical knowledge on AP ROO. Just a person saying, hope it materialized and kudos for taking on such lucrative endeavor. This will take us to another level.

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
And where you gonna get Shanghai movements?
Which movement, by the way?

jamztio

I'm Pretty Popular
10/1/12
Finally, someone comes up and proposes this kind of project! I'll definitely be interested in the case set for franken pieces. You'll be making people's lives easier, especially if you can produce gen spec dials and hands (although I'm not expecting it to be as perfect as the gen).

About the homage pieces, it's a great idea since we can make whatever dial we want but I'm not sure about the thickness, people might not be able to cope with it since I've seen people complaining about the current ROO thickness. And which movement is the Shanghai one if I may ask? I've only heard about it now.

Anyway, good luck with the project and I'm definitely interested in the gen spec pieces.

Pratt

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/4/13
yes im very keen ! let me know thanks !

Niek

7/9/12
Me too

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk 4

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Subscribed.
I am in completely.
Very strong interest.

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
As I advised before in Pm I hope you contacted Admin to advise of your project, sorry I never got a chance to reply yesterday to the last pm.

Sent from my iPhone 5 Using TapaTalk2 S???R?I?????

buffedupboy

Known Member
15/2/13
Mods have not been notified, currently it's only a show of interest, if it escalates any further, then I will contact mods for permission. Thanks for your advise, and looks like there is relatively good response to this project.

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
I offer case CNC milling mods for franken pieces but this project would take away a lot of trouble.

Sent you a PM :)

chromed.

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/10
interested to know about this chinese(shanghai) mvmt as well, if its takes rep dials, hands, i'm pretty interested in at least 2-3 sets as well! :)

buffedupboy

Known Member
15/2/13
The current rep movements are made by Shanghai Watch Co. We will source the same movements for our homages as it's the only available movement with this particular subdial layout.

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
I'm down for one gen case set, and two homage case sets. Oh, and two sets of gen hands please!

Might build the old boy a nice one for his birthday!

:cheers: