• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Flan-Dad questions

Cigar_Guy97

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/8/23
USA
I figured this would be a close to correct area to post this question , delete if not allowed and if not, sorry in advance!
So between here on RWI and reddit, I have seem some very mixed feelings about FlanDad... I have also been seeing a few watches for sale in the m2m sales thread that have had the "flan dad touch"
Seems as if you either love him or hate him, he's also not a TD here on RWI so that kind of threw up a flag for me.
Again, just trying to get some clarification on what the deal is with him, I am located in the US, so that is a major factor for me to even begin to consider him.
(totally understand that if i ever bought a watch from him and something went wrong RWI staff or anyone on this for could not help)

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
There are several threads on here on the matter and I really, really, would want to steer this thread from a rehash of what has already been said. I think that you can go on google and write "Flandad RWI" and see all the answers on there. You can also search our forum using the search function.

A reminder to anyone chiming in, this is the Flame Free Zone, be helpful or be locked out.

Cigar_Guy97

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/8/23
USA
Really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction! Will give it a shot!

lovegensandreps

Kodo Constant-Force Tourbillon rep when?
22/9/22
EU
Yikes after reading the thread flandads "workshop" seems to be consisting of dirty mason jars and bathrooms sinks

Reactions: Cigar_Guy97

Deep

You're Saying I Can Buy?
Supporter
Certified
9/7/23
KMVGh4.jpeg
KMVffj.jpeg

From an interesting Reddit post found here. Bonus workshop photo can be found here* if curious 🔥

Last edited:

Cigar_Guy97

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/8/23
USA
So from what I gather he's pretty shady and has strong opinions about people "wasting" money on Reps :/ Bummer. Would love to find a good high end rep dealer in the states. Anyone know why the 2 USA dealers here do not carry higher end models?

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Anyone know why the 2 USA dealers here do not carry higher end models?

Low tier and mid tier: Easier to manage, like e.g. lower value of merchandise that needs to be moved in each supply shipment, generally less risks in every thinkable aspect, and it's probably a well-running niche business with enough folks looking for cheaper stuff w/out customs hassle... Main downside probably is the lower sales volume / revenue, but I'd imagine that each doesn't do this as their main source of income as opposed to our Chinese TDs.

Everything I guessed, so I may get some things or everything not right and the reasons are something completely different. 😆

Reactions: Deep

Matthew56544

Horology Curious
4/1/24
I wish I could see some before and after pictures from a real life customer . This is recently such a discussed topic.

Having recently purchased from Flandad I can feedback on my experience :)

I have a CF two Tone GMT Rootbeer that I ordered from another TD, upon receipt I had the expected regret that I hadn't gone for a plated version, therefore decided to purchase from Flandad. It took longer than expected but comms were good even with his hard rule "no QC photos" only a short roll video, "they have their own QC".

Upon receipt I now had the opportunity to compare against the factory fresh original, imagine my surprise when the supposedly replated watch was identical to the factory finish. There is no evidence that this watch has anything done to it, I have checked the edges and the brushed backsides of the clasps and there is no difference.

I questioned Flandad as to if there was any chance that I was sent a un-plated watch by mistake, he confirmed not.

His response was that it was plated to match gen and that I should check it against a gen watch. He stated that clean did not look like genuine but then refused to acknowledge that as mine was identical to a factory clean it could not have been replated to match genuine.

He would not show me comparison pictures of plated / non-plated clean / gen.

At this point he offered to return for a refund, however having lost any confidence / trust I pushed for a plating refund of which he offered and paid of $200 as the watch also had the "other services". At this point being $150 down but having a watch was much more appealing than the exposure of returning!

Flandadcash

Known Member
Patron
Certified
2/1/19

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
There you go so you guys can keep making fun of me 👍🏻
I’m so over people just making up stuff about me it’s old….
@P..DR..D just asked for your side of the story about the experience the member below had with you. You responded like a politician and sidestepped the inquiry and showed three videos that have no baring on the topic at hand.

@Flandadcash I think a full response would be suitable since this is your work that you say is the best in the business.
Upon receipt I now had the opportunity to compare against the factory fresh original, imagine my surprise when the supposedly replated watch was identical to the factory finish. There is no evidence that this watch has anything done to it, I have checked the edges and the brushed backsides of the clasps and there is no difference.

Flandadcash

Known Member
Patron
Certified
2/1/19
I have no knowledge of this above claim nor did they ever contact me, if so he can show us the PM’s here that he talked to me about any of this ? I will say when someone is dealing with the customer service line from the sale side of things and just complain to no end and are not being reasonable(not saying this person was or wasn’t) the easy option customer service took was just to refund like Amazon, the customer is always right. That’s all I can think of.. I do know around 5 people total from conception. Have been refunded. So we will look into this for future consideration/changes to policy.

Flandadcash

Known Member
Patron
Certified
2/1/19
Here I’ll get some examples now and show everyone now… It’s hard to believe what people say or show unfortunately about my work. I’ve had people polish them with compounds like brasso or use cape cod and destroy their watch in less than 4 hrs of receiving it… So let’s just be careful what going on here..

Reactions: Rx4Time