• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Explorer I -124270 Gen & Clean Comprehensive Comparison

mrln

25/11/20
EU
Still no QC pics from TD, but soooo happy to see that everything is so well made on this Clean! Can‘t wait…! 😃

Rollyman

Supporter
Certified
30/6/13
Germany
Steve, that's amazing. Thank you very much for this job!!
I love the 36mm Explorer and this version from Clean comes very very close to gen … fantastic!

Feefo

Your cleverness is mistaken for your cleverness
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
This is usually the point where nitpickers careful observers start saying "Yeah, but...." and finding out all possible microscopic flaws. None of that here? The angle of the bezel? Lug width? A floating B?
You gotta love the Explorer, there's so little to do wrong...

Reaps

-
25/9/22
This is usually the point where nitpickers careful observers start saying "Yeah, but...." and finding out all possible microscopic flaws. None of that here? The angle of the bezel? Lug width? A floating B?
You gotta love the Explorer, there's so little to do wrong...
Well, I don't wanna be that guy BUT... the crown is slightly wrong, as others have said, but this is a non-issue, especially with a gen crown.

That being said I have this one already paid for and on the way :ROFLMAO:

I'm more interested to see a BP vs Clean 39mm comparison, I actually don't think the Clean will be better than the BP since it's such a simple watch, and the VR3130 is nice but a trusty A2824/2836 will always be a great option for closed caseback.

Reactions: Karbon74 and Feefo

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Well, I don't wanna be that guy BUT... the crown is slightly wrong, as others have said, but this is a non-issue, especially with a gen crown.

That being said I have this one already paid for and on the way :ROFLMAO:

I'm more interested to see a BP vs Clean 39mm comparison, I actually don't think the Clean will be better than the BP since it's such a simple watch, and the VR3130 is nice but a trusty A2824/2836 will always be a great option for closed caseback.
To be fair, I noticed the crown, too. But i didn't want to be THAT guy 🤪
Yes, a comparison with BP would be a nice plus.

FaintOrGloch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/7/22
I have had the BP for just over a year, love the watch except for the way the crystal sticks out way too far. The 20mm lug width doesn't bother me and means I can use a few different bracelets/straps, but that crystal...
Yo-yoing between somehow fixing the crystal, replacing the BP altogether with this one, or just forgetting about it altogether until a Gen comes along at the right price.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I have had the BP for just over a year, love the watch except for the way the crystal sticks out way too far. The 20mm lug width doesn't bother me and means I can use a few different bracelets/straps, but that crystal...
Yo-yoing between somehow fixing the crystal, replacing the BP altogether with this one, or just forgetting about it altogether until a Gen comes along at the right price.
really? the gen crystal sticks out too, no?

Reactions: Feefo

FaintOrGloch

10/7/22

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
True. The BP seems like it sticks out too much, it seems more exaggerated. Maybe the chamfer shape or something accentuates it with the BP.
The other thread by the OP shows the height difference quite well:

Post in thread 'Explorer I(36mm)124270 Gen、GM、BP & EW Comprehensive Comparison' https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/explorer-i(36mm)124270-gen、gm、bp-ew-comprehensive-comparison.10947065/post-11326967
ok. thanks
I was refering to the 39 which I own. I don't feel the crystal is bad, watch in hand

Reactions: FaintOrGloch

FaintOrGloch

10/7/22
ok. thanks
I was refering to the 39 which I own. I don't feel the crystal is bad, watch in hand
I'm wondering if my BP is even the current release. I cannot see the logo etched in the crystal at 6 o'clock

Got20Mate

Hunting for the perfect Speedy rep!
Patron
Certified
20/7/22
UK
Sold my Franken a few good months ago now and this just makes me want to jump back in. Let's go!

RW5513

Patron
Certified
25/8/15
Thank you for this comparison.

Q: really the gen movement is hold by screws and tabs ? 🤔. All rolex movements gen I have worked on, are reversed screws, not screws / tabs.

Thank you.

RW5513

Patron
Certified
25/8/15
Thank you for this comparison.

Q: really the gen movement is hold by screws and tabs ? 🤔. All rolex movements gen I have worked on, are reversed screws, not screws / tabs.

Thank you.

Relent

3/9/23
f5982349.jpg
80c79c48.jpg

dae12495.jpg
Middle Axis View

The Middle Axis is already very close to Gen,It is the best shape the factory can make today, It would be perfect if the cut-outs were a little smaller.

8c0ac657.jpg
b5c2807d.jpg
Rehaut Side View

The Rehaut engraving has always been clean's strong point, and the underlining is very clear, with the slight disadvantage of the crown form, Mouth is a bit crooked, which should only be an isolated engraving problem.

7cd4c02b.jpg
ccecdff2.jpg
ee37541a.jpg
Crown side view

When in winding position after the crown has been unscrewed (Fig. 2), The shank shaft has the same length and threads as Gen. The sharp corners of the teeth are very rounded and more pronounced than even the Gen.

652e6766.jpg
a9f34aad.jpg

Case side view

With a case made 1 to 1, The side shape is definitely not a problem.

48606059.jpg
7b1ef9c0.jpg

Endlink side view

There is a certain amount of sink, both inside and outside, especially on the inside, where the height difference and curvature are exactly the same as on the Gen. The sinking of the outer tips is noticeable and a bit greater than the Gen .

c24833f5.jpg
1d4d2392.jpg

Backcase view

The teeth of the bottom cover are particularly rounded, all appearing to be a certain width, and the brushed lines in various areas are clear.

b24c0770.jpg
60a19a4b.jpg
29f6dfb1.jpg
9cdf5d95.jpg
c5deeb1b.jpg

Strap detail view

Without going into too much detail about the strap, it's worth noting that the engraving on the Clean does have that Gen flavor to it.
Looks great. I’m wish it was available in a 39 mm as they is exactly what I’m ready to get now!

Reactions: Mossback

Relent

3/9/23

Relent

3/9/23
Oh excellent! So I’m sorry for this noob question but here goes: I’m not sure what “Clean” means…
And is this then available on the “one watch” TD site?
Ok. I see it’s the movement. So the Clean version is of higher quality than the other 2 Asian versions. I need to do more research before embarrassing myself with noob questions LOL.
I will be ordering this from Steve.
The quality and likeness are very good imho

Feefo

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
Oh excellent! So I’m sorry for this noob question but here goes: I’m not sure what “Clean” means…
And is this then available on the “one watch” TD site?
Clean is a factory. You'll also see it mentioned as CF (clean factory). Different factories, different quality/characteristics.
Any TD is able to source any watch. Take your pick:

Reactions: Relent

Relent

3/9/23
Clean is a factory. You'll also see it mentioned as CF (clean factory). Different factories, different quality/characteristics.
Any TD is able to source any watch. Take your pick:
Thanks!

Reactions: Therion666