• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Exactly what it says on the tin?

tamburlaine16

Horology Curious
30/11/08
Hmm. With the luck of the draw regarding factory plating aside, does anyone know of a gold rolex purchased that was of satisfactory quality. I can always go down that avenue - finding a dealer with a successful repertoire in gold watch selling.

I am Sam

Renowned Member
9/10/09
I would say stick to white gold and you'll never have fadding issues... LOL

tamburlaine16

Horology Curious
30/11/08
I concur, Sam. I was well happy with Narikka, especially with the Breguets i bought. Really nice. But i don't really want to go back for seconds with the gold watch thing. His communication was always excellent too..

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
hont's gold plating is the worst! the rose gold fades after about 3 months especially if you wear it everyday! stay away from hont! bad bad bad!

Jesus H. Christ on a rubber crutch! I'm going to say it again, slowly, for those out there that are a little slow on the uptake:

Hont doesn't plate anything! He sources his watches from the same factories that ALL of the dealers do. In the case of the Hublot Big Bang that I assume mw is talking about, there are only two factories that produce them. EVERY dealer sources watches from those same two factories. The only variables are price and customer service. You'll have to go a long way to beat Hont on either of those fronts.

Hopefully that is plain enough for everyone to understand. :wacko:

If you want to fool yourself into thinking that if you buy your gold plated rep from dealer X or dealer Y then you'll be safe - be my guest. It won't make it true, but if that's what helps you sleep at night, I'm fine with it.

What I will not stand by and let happen is for people to state things that are 100% incorrect as the truth. Not because I like Hont more than any other dealer, but because I don't want new members to be mislead.

tamburlaine16

Horology Curious
30/11/08
well reiterated, Hooligan, but could you shed any light on my predicament? Take a gamble, yeah? I'm taking you're one not to have a gold rolex near your collection:)

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
I've never owned ANY gold plated reps, so I absolutely cannot speak from experience.

However, from what I've read over my years on the rep fora gold plating *will* wear, that's a certainty. How much it will wear depends on how and how often you wear the watch.

I, personally, would never get a plated watch as a daily wearer...

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I have been experimenting with doing my own plating. So let me clarify one additional thing for those who do not understand how it works. There is NO WAY in hell that these reps are 5 mil. First off the amount of material that would need to be deposited on the metal would increase the price about 5 fold. Second a 5 mil plate would last for YEARS under harsh conditions. At best these are 1 - 1.75 mils.

mw1015

Renowned Member
26/1/09
ok this is my bad.. i guess my sarcasm didn't go through my monitor.

i retract my statement about hont and his rose gold. it is a well known fact that dealers do not make the watches they sell. they get them from the factories so any fault regarding gold plating has nothing to do with the dealers here.

generally i'd stay away from gold plating anyway as they are all bound to fade in time. SS FTW if you ask me >.<

Moisted

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/9/09
ok this is my bad.. i guess my sarcasm didn't go through my monitor.

i retract my statement about hont and his rose gold. it is a well known fact that dealers do not make the watches they sell. they get them from the factories so any fault regarding gold plating has nothing to do with the dealers here.

generally i'd stay away from gold plating anyway as they are all bound to fade in time. SS FTW if you ask me >.<

thanks for the clarification man, I was wondering what has gone wrong with the world. I almost started drinking in depression... :unsure2:

what'you know, I actually missed a sarcasm, hehe that's a first for me... I love sarcasm.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
This thread is getting humorous. Warranties? Guaranteed thickness? 18k upgrades? You guys crack me up!! :biglaugh:

The dealers can only tell you what the factory tells them; i.e. - 5 mil, 18k gold, gen Swiss ETA movement. The dealers typically have no way of testing these claims.

The dealers also are not custom shops. They cannot special order your watch with upgrades, and wouldn't be able to tell if these were done or not.

As for gold plating, it will not look like solid gold. Period. It also will wear eventually. ALSO, the sides of the center links are NOT plated and are easy to spot - a DEAD giveaway. So overall, you will be disappointed in the end.

If you MUST have a gold or TT Rolex, order one from WM9, or check with BKLM to see if he can get one and QC it for you. WM9 uses a gold colored base metal, so when you scratch or wear through your plating, it still looks gold and there are no silver sides to the center links. Other than that, I'd stay away from gold plating on ANY reps.

As for pics - all dealers will only send them after you pay and they source your watch. Few dealers keep everything in stock so wouldn't have the watch(es) for pics before they buy them.

As for Hont - he's a great dealer. I've been very please with my purchases from him.

But good luck with your quest for the perfect gold rep. Oh... and the unicorn currently wearing it. Enjoy riding the unicorn as well. :cool2:

acharria

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/10/09
Hello guys,

I just want to tell you that Hont send me the watch on the pics that i receive for approval.
The strap and the buckle has little marks that i found again in the watch.
Plus the kindness of Hont is awesome.

Hont rules..

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
I ordered a two-tone stainless and gold Navi from Hont, but it's only for the three or so times a year when I wear a specific suit. I figure the microscopically-thin plating should last under those conditions. I wouldn't want to wear one more than once or twice a month!

tamburlaine16

Horology Curious
30/11/08
Levelman, thanks. You've given what you perceive to be the definitive answer to my inquiry and suggestions as to where i might get the watch. Cheers, fella. If i do get one i'll be sure to post up and let you know about it.

D

d4m.test

Hello there.
Just an enquiry about Hont's pictures of watches and what one will actually receive -
I'm interested in one of his gold day date Rolex's, but i'm keen to know if the colour of watches(specifically gold) in his catalogue is the same as what arrives?
I've heard only good things about him so i'm optimistic, but the reason i'm asking is that i've purchased a 'gold' replica before and the colour was not as i'd assumed. I can send on a picture at a later date of the purchase intended, because i'm only texting this on my phone at the moment - forgive any punctuation errors!
If anyone has bought a similar watch i'd be grateful for your thoughts. Essentially i'm after the aesthetic of the colour moreso, and obviously quality is key, but essentially something that gives good time. I'm also at odds as to why he can't perhaps send out a picture prior to purchase. He maintained he didn't know how! Funny then how he assembled the catalogue...
i have bought a gold datejust from hont,the plated is ok but when the watch arrived has some green spots on the case.
that is what happend to me

tamburlaine16

Horology Curious
30/11/08
i have bought a gold datejust from hont,the plated is ok but when the watch arrived has some green spots on the case.
that is what happend to me

How do you mean, okay? Do you mean a green spot or spots. I thought the green spot with serial or hologram was a staple inclusion. I'm a bit confused. Pro rep knowledge is needed i'd say.

D

d4m.test

How do you mean, okay? Do you mean a green spot or spots. I thought the green spot with serial or hologram was a staple inclusion. I'm a bit confused. Pro rep knowledge is needed i'd say.

green spots on the case,i think is oxyde or i don't know i can post some pictures if you like