• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Exactly what it says on the tin?

tamburlaine16

Horology Curious
30/11/08
Hello there.
Just an enquiry about Hont's pictures of watches and what one will actually receive -
I'm interested in one of his gold day date Rolex's, but i'm keen to know if the colour of watches(specifically gold) in his catalogue is the same as what arrives?
I've heard only good things about him so i'm optimistic, but the reason i'm asking is that i've purchased a 'gold' replica before and the colour was not as i'd assumed. I can send on a picture at a later date of the purchase intended, because i'm only texting this on my phone at the moment - forgive any punctuation errors!
If anyone has bought a similar watch i'd be grateful for your thoughts. Essentially i'm after the aesthetic of the colour moreso, and obviously quality is key, but essentially something that gives good time. I'm also at odds as to why he can't perhaps send out a picture prior to purchase. He maintained he didn't know how! Funny then how he assembled the catalogue...

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
I ordered two Longines from Hont, and he sent me pics before he sent them on. I'm not sure why you're getting a different story. Overall, I was very satisfied with Hont's service, and got exactly what he showed me. Good luck. Keep us posted.

tamburlaine16

Horology Curious
30/11/08
Did he send you on pictures before you sent payment or before he posted it? Call me sceptical, but surely a picture or two of what you're receiving should be sent on before any transaction is made. That aside, if the watch looks like it is in his catalogue then i'd buy it tomorrow. Just not sure if i'd get what i thought i was.

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
23/10/09
Dont buy gold watches from hont, Ive heard he uses very thin gold plating

tamburlaine16

Horology Curious
30/11/08
Interesting, Delor, but i'm not a huge connesieur as such, only looking for an aesthetic, i suppose. The plating may be an issue, but the colour is paramount. Would you recommend anyone else that wouldn't break the bank?

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
Interesting, Delor, but i'm not a huge connesieur as such, only looking for an aesthetic, i suppose. The plating may be an issue, but the colour is paramount. Would you recommend anyone else that wouldn't break the bank?

There's a whole story behind the Hont and plating thing. (Not Hont's fault per se, one member got a little overzealous in a complaint.) Best advice is to skip gold plated reps altogether unless you are dead set on one. You'll skip a lot of potential issues sticking with stainless steel. As far as Hont and the pics, he sent them after I paid but before he shipped them out. I think that is pretty standard practice among the dealers that QC.

tflgee

1/9/09
Many of the watches he sources after you order it. So it's kinda hard to take a picture of a watch he probably doesn't have.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Dont buy gold watches from hont, Ive heard he uses very thin gold plating

Huh? Where did you get this from? Gold plating is done by the factories, there are many many factories out there making reps NOT Hont, one factory will do a good job, another a bad job and another an excellent job and it all depends on the watch in question. Unless you're absolutely sure I'd suggest you don't suggest anyone where to shop unless you've had personal experience. Bottom line is not all reps are created equal, some have great plating some do not, sometimes the factories suck at plating on certain batches or maybe 2-3 watches got the crap plating, etc.

I am Sam

Renowned Member
9/10/09
I know that for Turnograph from Travor he charge you $85 extra but you need to let him know first before you order. BTW as everyone else said plating is important as well as the type of gold. Your best bet would be to ask for 18K and it does not deviate much from pictures unless the camera is made by Kodak or Fuji.

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
23/10/09
All very good points but i would just sudgest steel of pvd instead of gold(my opinion)

tamburlaine16

Horology Curious
30/11/08
Ahh, i see. I'm learning as i go along! The protocol of transaction aside, it seems a shame about the potential disaster of a gold watch. I thought yer experienced knowledgable forum would have solutions left right and centre:) The one i currently own is in super condition(from narrika), but the colour is more of a peach hue - not really what i was after, but if the plating was similar i would have no qualms once the colour was spot on. I don't want to flog a dead horse here either. Thanks for your input.

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Yes, let's be very clear about this. Hont does not MAKE any watches. Nor do any of our dealers. The closest any of them come is assembling/modding watches, but none of them manufacture any parts themselves.

Hont sources his watches from the same places that all the dealers do, so you're rolling the dice buying a gold from ANY dealer.

tamburlaine16

Horology Curious
30/11/08
Yeah, i can tomorrow, I am Sam, as i'm sending my messages from my mobile and the facility to cut and paste links is beyond me, but if you were so inclined, it's on his website, men's daydate number016. You'll know the one when you see it.

Much appreciated for the suggestions and background of production, but i'm thinking the more prudent option would be the 18k gold request as suggested in the above comment. I'm sure for a little bit extra, the debacle would be put to bed and i won't be moaning on the forum when the watch arrives. Does hont - or any other dealer for that matter - take this custom making into account?

I am Sam

Renowned Member
9/10/09
Yeah, i can tomorrow, I am Sam, as i'm sending my messages from my mobile and the facility to cut and paste links is beyond me, but if you were so inclined, it's on his website, men's daydate number016. You'll know the one when you see it.

If i got this right then it should read...

Rolex DateJust Man tow tone ,MOVEMENT: Swiss ETA 2836-2 Automatic, CASE DIAMETER: 37mm, THICKNESS: 12mm , CASE MATERIAL: Solid Stainless Steel 316L, Two Tone SS Case, 18K YG plating.. 5 mils , BRACELET: 18K Plated Jubilee Bracelet, FRONT GLASS: Sapphire , BACK GLASS: Solid caseback with Rolex hologram, BEZEL: 18K Plated Fluted Bezel, HACK MOVEMENT: Yes , CLASP TYPE: Rolesor Conceal Clasp, DATE INDICATOR: At 3:00 , Water Resistant , Serial Number Between case and strap leg , same quality case can set in asia 21j automatic movt

Before I order 1) I would ask for warranty 2) plating strength for bracelet 3) Any upgrade option

tamburlaine16

Horology Curious
30/11/08
I think that may be right, Sam, but regardless of that just now, the three things you advised succinctly are exactly the kind of things that crossed my mind. I don't want to give a facile summation of hont the dealer, but when i contacted him i wasn't getting much out of him only dollar signs in his eyes:). There was no talk of what Sam outlined. Where do you buy your watches, mate? Seems like you're on the ball. Do my bidding for me please. Haha.

mw1015

Renowned Member
26/1/09
hont's gold plating is the worst! the rose gold fades after about 3 months especially if you wear it everyday! stay away from hont! bad bad bad!

*edit* - sorry guys i was being sarcastic. this statement is COMPLETELY false! >.<

Moisted

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/9/09
hont's gold plating is the worst! the rose gold fades after about 3 months especially if you wear it everyday! stay away from hont! bad bad bad!

Geezus Christ, Hont doesn't "gold plate", the factory does. What does it take for you guys to understand a simple fact. It was all explained about 700 pixels above. Read a little...

I am Sam

Renowned Member
9/10/09
This happens to me all the time I ask a question and then there is a big silence from the other side (that includes those who are most trusted than Hont), which is a queue for me to move on and ask the next seller. Remember you are the buyer. It is your freakin hard earned money and you have every right to ask questions and they are obligated to respond properly no matter whoever they are... if you don't get straight answer (black or white) then contact the next seller.