• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Navitimer Recessed datewheel question

maxse

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
4/11/06
Guys how obvious is this flaw in real life? I am thinking of getting this watch for someone and wouldn't want them called out on it by someone who owns a gen. On the pics it seems prety obvious but how is it still pretty obvious in reality?

Also do you think it is a good idea to buy now, or should I wait a couple of months since the 7753s are discontinued perhaps the chinese will make a newer movement without these problems for the newer models?

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
Chances of getting called out are slim. Brietling has made numerous navitimer models over the years and their quality control hasn't always been perfect. The asian 7750(3) should be just fine... I have the serie speciale (6,9,12 subdials) and its not noticable at all. Even if they do come out with a newer movement, doesn't mean it will be better.

maxse

Banned
4/11/06
thanks guys. I have gotten it sorted out. Turns out I will probably be getting the Breitling GT. Now time to do research on the GT. Thanks.

bruno

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/6/06
I have a Navi with the 3-6-9 configuration and the recessed date wheel is glaringly obvious if you know to look for it. There's a major difference between the reps and the gens. It seems like the 6-9-12 is better but that has other issues.

maxse

Banned
4/11/06
yea that is actually what I figured. I think I pretty much decided on the GT. Now I need to do research on it's accuracy.

b16a2

13/1/07
You will find the 3,6,9 layout will have a recessed date wheel due to the extra gears in the movement to allow the changed dial layout. If you go for the 12,9,6 layout, it won't have a recessed dial, and should be more reliable due to less stress on the movement.

maxse

Banned
4/11/06
yea I know all about it. Just wanted to know how it looks. Reliability should be the same because the tri-compax modification doesnt really put any more stress on the movement...

Regardless, I decided to go with a Bentley GT.

mtb1979

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/2/07
Well, it's obvious when you're looking at it from your own wrist. However, someone else isn't going to notice unless they get right up next to you IMO.