• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

EBAY / Ali express case set review

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
The tube is pressed in, maybe a tool will work, but in this case, as it is smooth on the inside, it could be a square screwdriver (I didn't try it). Heat didn’t work

I took it out by putting a file inside from the inside, hitting the file gently with the case and it came out without breaking, but it wasn't easy.

Now I have to widen the hole which is another challenge because the hole is not very centred and if you open it too much you can ruin the case.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
any tips on how to determine if the tube is screwed or press-in?
A clue that it is screw in is the tube will show some sort of engineering (like scalloping, a geometric shape, etc) inside the tube to afford purchase for a tool. This may be at the very innermost side of the tube but it will be there.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Now I have to widen the hole which is another challenge because the hole is not very centred and if you open it too much you can ruin the case.
I use bits that are just an hair larger than the existing hole and then incrementally larger bits until I get what I want. This way, I am removing only a little steel at a time.

Also, make sure you are using a sharp bit that is rated for stainless steel and plenty of lubricant (WD-40, for example). Done this way, you shouldn’t have much drifting.

If you want to move the center of the hole, a vise and drill press would be your best bet to getting it exactly where you want.

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
In case anyone is interested, although the seller did not confirm the size of the crown. It looks like a big crown, and we could save us the headache of drilling the tube area.

Seems big crown but not sure, interesting for 6538, Tudor…

Acabo de encontrar este increíble artículo en AliExpress. ¡Échale un vistazo! 31,36€ 38% dto. | BURRYJAZZ-caja de reloj estéril, cristal de zafiro abombado, color plata, negro, oro rosa, 39mm, compatible con NH35, NH36, NH34, ETA2824, PT5000, movimiento

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
In case anyone is interested, although the seller did not confirm the size of the crown. It looks like a big crown, and we could save us the headache of drilling the tube area.

Seems big crown but not sure, interesting for 6538, Tudor…

Acabo de encontrar este increíble artículo en AliExpress. ¡Échale un vistazo! 31,36€ 38% dto. | BURRYJAZZ-caja de reloj estéril, cristal de zafiro abombado, color plata, negro, oro rosa, 39mm, compatible con NH35, NH36, NH34, ETA2824, PT5000, movimiento

interesting. it looks like it may be slightly bigger but also it could be the style and pattern of knurling on the crown.
someone needs to buy and confirm!

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
interesting. it looks like it may be slightly bigger but also it could be the style and pattern of knurling on the crown.
someone needs to buy and confirm!
The seller told me that he is not sure of the size and that he cannot give me any measurements (typical on AliExpress).

Anyway I'm going to try to drill the case that you , @DeLoMan and me bought, what I won't do is touch the holes of the lugs because the margin of error there is 0

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
The seller told me that he is not sure of the size and that he cannot give me any measurements (typical on AliExpress).

Anyway I'm going to try to drill the case that you , @DeLoMan and me bought, what I won't do is touch the holes of the lugs because the margin of error there is 0
good luck. look fwd to seeing your progress!!

Reactions: Hec

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
Hello everyone,
I have aged the bezel following the advice of @DeLoMan using a torch, although it has not been all homogeneous.

Now comes the hard part, I want the Ali case and an 8mm crown, I have a raffles one on the way, is the athaya tube+crown worth it? In the athaya website they explain that if we are going to use an automatic movement we need a stem adapter from 0.90 to 1.20
This adapter would not be needed in the raffles?

And finally, I have the feeling-intuition that part of the tube will not fit, the original tube of this box was smooth, creating the shape of the tube I do not know if it will be enough with the tap.
Let's see if someone like the master @tripdog or someone else can shed some light, it would be good for my mental "ruckus".

Thanks

Reactions: DeLoMan

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
The Athaya crown and tube is much higher quality. It’s very well made. You will need the M4x0.35 tap and you need the stem adapter. I don’t know what stem the raffles crown takes But I would assume it’s the normal 0.90

i just looked at the raffles crown and it’s a normal cheap crown for sure. The athaya tube for the 8mm crown is close to gen size and it’s huge And feels like Gen. Athaya crown is 100% worth The upgrade if you are able to do the work and tap the case to install it. But if the raffles 8mm crown tube threads into the Ali case, then that’s an easy and cool upgrade.

Last edited:

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
@DeLoMan any progress with the AliX case?

I've drilled a little today the hole of the tube, the only thing I haven't gone beyond the 3.2 bit because I do it with a dremel and I think it's not ideal because you can feel a vibration that doesn't inspire confidence.

I'll have to use a drill, I have the m4 x 0.35 mm tap on the way.

Reactions: 369mafia

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain

3,5 tube hole is done! It is not easy. The material is very very hard, impossible to do it with a dremel at least for me, use of cutting oil is a must (and a lot of patience). First of all 3 mm hole… 3.2 mm.. and finally 3.5

Now the B part is missing, using the 4 x 0,35 tap, I'm following a tutorial I found, pity I don't have the tap yet (Chinese year has delayed me a lot the delivery and I couldn't find one in my area).

Thanks to master @Karbon74 for his advices and friendliness

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
Slight aging and faded the glossy appearance od a new no hash bezel.

Another element completed.

Back to the subject of this case.

I see you put a Rolex crown, did you change the tube? I tried to order one out of curiosity to try it on this case and the original tube and it did not fit, could you tell me what crown it is to buy it in case I decide one day to go for a 6536. (EDIT:I remember that you use raffles crown)!!

Now that I'm immersed in the project, I like more and more your dial...do you use pigments, water and acrylic painting?
I hope someday a tutorial,that effect on markers and dial is fucking beautiful!

Last edited:
Reactions: LINCE

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain

Athaya tube and crown installed, not easy, the material is very hard.

Now I still have to do

1. the part of aging the dial (a thousand doubts about how to do it), I'm torn between trying to create patina or using makeup, I even investigated ways to create patina with chemicals

2. Decide for the bezel, none of them convince me about the quality and the pip I received has not convinced me either...

Otherwise, I'm happy with this project that I've been obsessing about.