• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

EBAY / Ali express case set review

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
@DeLoMan I imagine you will remove the bezel, are you going to change the glass? I bought from cousinuk but I don't know if it will fit or I will have to glue it.

I could use (if it's no bother) a couple of pics of how you remove the bezel although @369mafia said it's easy, just use a pin or small screwdriver.
Thanks!

DeLoMan

3/2/19
@DeLoMan I imagine you will remove the bezel, are you going to change the glass? I bought from cousinuk but I don't know if it will fit or I will have to glue it.

I could use (if it's no bother) a couple of pics of how you remove the bezel although @369mafia said it's easy, just use a pin or small screwdriver.
Thanks!
I’ll definitely be removing the bezel to brass it. As for the crystal, I might just sand off the cyclops instead of replacing it.

Reactions: 369mafia and Hec

DeLoMan

3/2/19
I can share a few things. The crown tube is pressed into this case and is a real challenge to remove. Even with heat, files, etc. I ended up using vice grips to twist it out. You will need to tap the hole in order to thread in any replacement tube, such as for the Raffles big crown.

The lug holes are very close to the edges. I actually ended up damaging one of the holes too much when my 1.2mm bit wobbled. As a result, I stopped work on this case and salvaged the bezel off the case to swap over to my Raffles case, so this wasn’t a total loss for me. I got a bezel upgrade out of this for under $30, so I can’t even be mad. I’ll update my Raffles 6538 build thread tomorrow with the photos of the new bezel installed.

Hopefully this info helps others out.

• Wow
Reactions: Hec and 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I can share a few things. The crown tube is pressed into this case and is a real challenge to remove. Even with heat, files, etc. I ended up using vice grips to twist it out. You will need to tap the hole in order to thread in any replacement tube, such as for the Raffles big crown.

The lug holes are very close to the edges. I actually ended up damaging one of the holes too much when my 1.2mm bit wobbled. As a result, I stopped work on this case and salvaged the bezel off the case to swap over to my Raffles case, so this wasn’t a total loss for me. I got a bezel upgrade out of this for under $30, so I can’t even be mad. I’ll update my Raffles 6538 build thread tomorrow with the photos of the new bezel installed.

That is a surprise about the tube. thats a bummer.

I was hesitant to enlarge the lug holes on mine any larger than 1.0 as I didnt want to risk it myself. Too bad you damaged yours., but like you said not a total loss. I think I am going to order another for the bezel as well to put on my 6538 as I am very close to completing my build to my satisfaction!!

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain

Changing the tube is to be able to use the 8 mm crown raffles?
Was it easy to remove the bezel?

DeLoMan

3/2/19
Changing the tube is to be able to use the 8 mm crown raffles?
Was it easy to remove the bezel?
Yes, you’ll need to tap the whole in the case to thread in a tube for the 8mm crown.

Bezel removal was simple. Just use an Xacto knife to fish out an end of the wire and work your way around. Once the wire is out, the bezel lifts right off.

Reactions: Hec

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
Yes, you’ll need to tap the whole in the case to thread in a tube for the 8mm crown.

Bezel removal was simple. Just use an Xacto knife to fish out an end of the wire and work your way around. Once the wire is out, the bezel lifts right off.
M4 tap size for 8 mm crown is correct?

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
@DeLoMan

When I removed the bezel there was like a spring on the upper left side, before the bezel clicked and I tried to put it back on and it didn't, was it just a spring or did I lose a part?

DeLoMan

3/2/19
M4 tap size for 8 mm crown is correct?
I’m not sure.
@DeLoMan

When I removed the bezel there was like a spring on the upper left side, before the bezel clicked and I tried to put it back on and it didn't, was it just a spring or did I lose a part?
I think I lost the same part on mine before I noticed it was even there. Probably a spring and a tiny ball bearing that would sit on top of the spring.

Reactions: Hec

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
@369mafia @DeLoMan

To age the bezel, heat with a torch and hit with a metal brush?

I think some of you have commented on this

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
@DeLoMan

Absolutely right, removing the tube has been a headache, although I did it (I broke several steel files).
Did you widen the tube to put the 8mm crown? I'm a total novice, I've tried using DW40 and a tap tool but so far not much going on (won't even fit a 7mm crown tube). Maybe I should go using bits from smaller to bigger? When you take out the tube you see that it is completely flat, that's why you couldn't get it out with any tool.
I appreciate your advice, thanks!

DeLoMan

3/2/19
@DeLoMan

Absolutely right, removing the tube has been a headache, although I did it (I broke several steel files).
Did you widen the tube to put the 8mm crown? I'm a total novice, I've tried using DW40 and a tap tool but so far not much going on (won't even fit a 7mm crown tube). Maybe I should go using bits from smaller to bigger? When you take out the tube you see that it is completely flat, that's why you couldn't get it out with any tool.
I appreciate your advice, thanks!
After I damaged the lug hole when drilling, I gave up and moved the bezel over to the Raffles case. The Ali case went into the trash. Keep us posted if you get the tube in!

Reactions: 369mafia

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region

if the tube is pressed in, you need this tool 😁

US $34.08 29% Off | Press Type Watch Crown Tube Removal Tool Machine with 7 Pins Professional Watchmaker Watch Friction Tube Repair Removal Tools

Reactions: 369mafia

Hec

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/7/23
Spain
My tube extraction tool did not work because the tube is also very narrow at the beginning.

I don't see it easy to make the tube wider, it is a very hard steel. However I will try everything, I can always order another one from aliexpress, but this case is certainly not easy to work with.

Reactions: DeLoMan

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
I always start assuming the tube (screw-in or press-in) is bonded to the case. So I start out by heating the tube to break the bonds of Locktite or similar epoxy typically used. Instead of torching the whole case, placing the tip of a soldering tool inside the tube is usually sufficient.

Obviously, if a tool is made for the particular tube you want to remove, use that, then you might try the tool above, broach, brut force, and/or drilling.

However, I’ve used this really cheap extracting bit and it has never failed to remove a stubborn tube. A word of warning though, the extracting bit will grip into, and destroy, the tube and it can’t be reused.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
I always start assuming the tube (screw-in or press-in) is bonded to the case. So I start out by heating the tube to break the bonds of Locktite or similar epoxy typically used. Instead of torching the whole case, placing the tip of a soldering tool inside the tube is usually sufficient.

Obviously, if a tool is made for the particular tube you want to remove, use that, then you might try the tool above, broach, brut force, and/or drilling.

However, I’ve used this really cheap extracting bit and it has never failed to remove a stubborn tube. A word of warning though, the extracting bit will grip into, and destroy, the tube and it can’t be reused.

any tips on how to determine if the tube is screwed or press-in?

Reactions: DeLoMan