• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Easiest way to drill vintage case lugs for 2mm bars when you’re a city dweller

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Last week I’ve been thinking about the « Best ways to mod 580 end links for 2mm bars ».
Today I’d like to share what I would call the «Easiest way to drill vintage case lugs for 2mm bars when you’re a city dweller»

So let’s begin with the facts ;
1 - I have a 6538 case with pre-drilled lugs
2 - I live in a city flat with no so much space for huge tools
3 - I dont have a drill press and I dont really have the place for that (see point 2)
4 - I have nice 2mm bars that fit in my 93150 bracelet and 580 end links but not in my 6538 case

And today I have decided to try an unlikely experience ... « drilling » the lugs of the 6538 with only hand grinds.
The best part of this thread is that … IT WORKED PERFECTLY.

The tools I have used are :
- 1mm diamond grind
- 2mm diamond grind
- 3mm rond grind

And here is a pic of those tolls ... much less bulky than a drill press

The process I used is VERY BASIC.

1mm diamond grind :
I first enlarged the pre-drilling until the grind passes easily through ... by working carefully it is possible to keep the holes in the same axis.
I think it’s best to rotate the file in both directions (rather than going back and forth)

2mm diamond grind :
There you have to be more patient and more applied because you do not want to pass completely through ... the aim being to get a hole of about 1.3 mm and not 2mm.
Always the same method (rotation rather than going back and forth) and it is necessary to stop regularly to control the result with a 2mm springbar ... from the outside.
When the springbar crosses almost completely the lug (it just blocks on the inside face) I changed tools.

3mm round grind :
I gently enlarged the hole from the inside side of the lug with the round file of 3mm ... always checking regularly to stop as soon as the springbar pass freely.
This is the most risky phase because you have to do it at an angle and you have to be very careful, otherwise you risk scratching the opposite lug.

All this process took ame bout 20 minutes to drill 2 lugs ... so it would take 40 minutes for a complete case.
It is probably longer than with a drill press (although ... if one takes into account the time to install the drill press, to fix the box and to align the holes, etc ...) but it is much less risky.
It's quite impossible to ruin your case and as one works gently the steel does not heat and does not harden.

Plus you can do this in « spare time » ... by watching a movie, on public transport (if you have a seat), in a car (if someone else drives), in an hotel room (for business travelers), etc ...

Here are some pictures of the job I did.
still have to drill the 2 remaining lugs and the chamfers of the external face but it is already … not that bad.

And here’s an overview with 2mm springbar in ... rather cool
Cant help but congratulate myself :clap_1:

GhostPilot

14/6/15
Yeah man you did a great job, good initiative.

I'd rather do it that way myself regardless, drill press can be tricky sometimes, appreciate you taking the time to post this and help others.

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Nice job, necessity is the mother of invention.

D

d4m.test

Very nice approach, thanks for sharing.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Hope this will help some members here.
Next time I'll try to drill "non pre-drilled" lugs without a drill press ... or not :cheese:
Though with a very good pre-pointing, a table clamp, an horologist hand driller and A BUNCH OF TIME, I am almost certain that it is doable.
Just see what Cro-Magnon did ... with only some stones and 2 hands :hehehe:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Nice job!

As a side note - I do all my watch work on public transportation. Lol.
Hahahaha too !!! But that's not only a joke.
I often have to do business trips with 4 hours in a train or plane, so next time I'll have to drill lugs I'll take that stuff with me.
But I dont think I'll try to lume :hehehe:

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Thanks

Sent from the RWI mobile app

I love simple techniques like this. Hopefully as a clutz even I would be able to do it. I'm wondering whether it would be worth me doing the external aspect only to give the improved cosmetic appearance of the larger lug hole on the visible outer part of the lug

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I love simple techniques like this. Hopefully as a clutz even I would be able to do it. I'm wondering whether it would be worth me doing the external aspect only to give the improved cosmetic appearance of the larger lug hole on the visible outer part of the lug
I dont think so because 2mm bars are longer than springbars, so the result of an only external modd would be just a larger hole with no bar end visible.
I have seen once an "only cosmetic" modd :
- holes drilled about 1/3 the way from the outer part of the lugs
- bits of paperclips cut, rounded and polished then glued in the holes
But that was done on a watch with non-predrilled lugs.
If your watch already has lugholes I think i'ts easier to enlarge them all through the lugs and get 2mm bars.

Soxxgo2

Renowned Member
2/2/15
Phoenix, AZ
@manodeoro Thanks for this! I'm going g to try it asap. Do you have a good recommendation for a particular brand of files?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
EDIT - 2017 JUNE 21st :

Some members on RWI and other forums PM me asking whete to find the CREOS files I use.
Unfortunately it seems those tools are discontinuated and, now, unavailable.
I found another toll, very similar, on MrHOBBY website :
http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemDetail.php?iId=1863
So one can send a message to the contact adress to ask "if and where" that tool can be bought on the web.

It's better to ask if that new tool can be used on stainless steel because a friend tried my method and his files died before finishing his first case.
To be honeet, mine where no supposed to be used on steel (only plastic was mentionned) but I tried and it worked very well.
I already drilled 4 pre-drilled cases and I'm quite certain it will work for about 6 more before beeing too damaged.
But it probably depends on the type of steel used for the case.
And one thing important !!! I work slowly PLUS I wash my files with water and liquid soap every time I use them.

Sent from the RWI App

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
BTW ... MrHOBBY is the hobby department of GSI CREOS

Sent from the RWI App

oratempus

I'm Pretty Popular
9/5/12
May I ask why you use a 3mm grind to file the "inside" part of the lug and not the 2mm one ?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
May I ask why you use a 3mm grind to file the "inside" part of the lug and not the 2mm one ?
Avec plaisir !!!
I grind the opening of the holes on the "inside face" of the lugs to chamfer and smooth the edges so that the bars can enter more easily.
The 2mm file is very fragile (and now seems difficult to source) so I prefer using my 3mm file which is more robust.
If I had a very short grinder (like the second or fifth in the pic below) I could use that too.

BTW ... A few days ago I have modded a case with non pre-drilled lugs
I have used (as usual) my dremel-like and a little drill stand so I have made some pics all along the process.
I choosed that drill stand cause I can put it in parts and in a cardbox in less than 5 minutes !!!
I will soon create a new tuto :
"Not such an easy (but still easy) way to drill non pre-drilled case lugs for 2mm bars when you’re a city dweller"

5PCS-Tungsten-font-b-Carbide-b-font-Rotary-Cutting-Burr-Set-font-b-Grinder-b-font.jpg

Attachments

• 5PCS-Tungsten-font-b-Carbide-b-font-Rotary-Cutting-Burr-Set-font-b-Grinder-b-font.jpg
    5PCS-Tungsten-font-b-Carbide-b-font-Rotary-Cutting-Burr-Set-font-b-Grinder-b-font.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 5PCS-Tungsten-font-b-Carbide-b-font-Rotary-Cutting-Burr-Set-font-b-Grinder-b-font.jpg