• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DIY Serial etching - Work in progress

Megahz1

Vintage lover
6/5/18
EU
Hi everyone,
I was bothered by the ugly serials that come with "cheap" cases (JKF, Raffles, etc...), but unfortunately I do not have access to a CNC nor to a pantograph engraver.
I know that there are members on the forum that do amazing serial engravings, but I prefer experimenting and doing this type of stuff by myself.
After having a look at this great article https://www.chrono-shop.net/en/blog/rolex-serial-numbers-find-your-rolex-production-date--n23 I decided to create my own design on Inkscape using images of period correct watches matching my builds (currently planning on doing this on 5513 and 1016 builds).
I am not yet ready to do this on an actual case, but for the moment I did some testing on a piece of SS. The process is done using PCB photosensitive film and saltwater etching and I think the results are pretty good considering how tiny the letters/numbers are.
Here some pics for you to judge!

Apart from the top portion of the letter "A" which should be flat, I think the results are good; remember that these are less than 20mm wide and look more consistent IRL.
Let me know what you think and if I should change something or if you see something wrong other than the letter "A", I am currently testing so your feedback is appreciated.
I will post progress and results as soon as I perfect the technique!

asusundevils1971

Your Parents Warned You To Stay Away From Me.
Supporter
23/2/23
Canada
I agree with mightynimrod that it looks really good and what grade and thickness of stainless did you use for this.

Reactions: Megahz1

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
5/6/23
DE
Hi everyone,
I was bothered by the ugly serials that come with "cheap" cases (JKF, Raffles, etc...), but unfortunately I do not have access to a CNC nor to a pantograph engraver.
I know that there are members on the forum that do amazing serial engravings, but I prefer experimenting and doing this type of stuff by myself.
After having a look at this great article https://www.chrono-shop.net/en/blog/rolex-serial-numbers-find-your-rolex-production-date--n23 I decided to create my own design on Inkscape using images of period correct watches matching my builds (currently planning on doing this on 5513 and 1016 builds).
I am not yet ready to do this on an actual case, but for the moment I did some testing on a piece of SS. The process is done using PCB photosensitive film and saltwater etching and I think the results are pretty good considering how tiny the letters/numbers are.
Here some pics for you to judge!

Apart from the top portion of the letter "A" which should be flat, I think the results are good; remember that these are less than 20mm wide and look more consistent IRL.
Let me know what you think and if I should change something or if you see something wrong other than the letter "A", I am currently testing so your feedback is appreciated.
I will post progress and results as soon as I perfect the technique!
Nice work! How big is the size? I mean what is the true size of the etching you did on the SS?

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
@Megahz1 ... excellent job 👍
What's nice with salted water etching is the the result looks much close to the gen than the laser etching.
I've engraved watches using that method and from my experience the result you got is close to perfect 👌

Megahz1

Vintage lover
6/5/18
EU
Today I tried to etch the case and the process was pretty tough tbh as it took me multiple attempts to align everything and etch with such small details. One thing is doing the etching on a plain surface with no limitations (lugs) and another thing is actually doing it on a watch...
I also had a problem where I did not etch the letter "R" properly and I had to add it later, so it is not 100% aligned.

Overall it turned out ok and I think it is better than the wrong reference that was etched before. It is a starting point and I am sure that with enough practice I will be able to improve the outcome; I will post progress.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
@Megahz1 ... really great job ...
I've engraved several cases using the same technique and I know it's not as easy as it seems so congrats !!!

BTW ... I used an old 6V battery charger as an electrical source but it's showing signs of weakness and I'm going to have to replace it.
Given the quality of your engravings, I'd really like to know what source you use ... charger or transformer ... if you don't mind sharing the info.