• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Datejust T Swiss T dial original?

beanvatan

Renowned Member
26/8/18
United States
Thank you! I actually own the first linked Pompom build

I am looking at other options for building another one identical to it, but with a blue dial. However, I’m not tied to having a vs3135 movement inside if I can get a Swiss ETA 2824.

Do you see any downsides to using a 2824 raffles case with no more and a Swiss ETA 2824 movement for this type of build?
The only downside is that you will have to cut off the dial feet of your dial and get a dial spacer for the movement—otherwise, no issues I can see.

Timmer

Known Member
Patron
Certified
17/1/22
Another issue with using the Raffles 2824 case is that it comes with the cyclops further out from the center to match a 2824 DW position,; which is different than the gen 16233 position. So if you plan is to use a gen dial, you will need to use a DWOverlay to move the date numbers closer to the center. To me, this was a lot of effort to achieve a gen-like build. So I purchased a 2824 Raffles case unassembled with a xtal with the cyclops in the "rolex" position; and used a 3135 movement. As pompom suggests, I plan to dremmel the case-back so the rotor will fit and function.

Reactions: Nur-Uhr

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
So sounds like I could do a great build without any modding as follows for a 16233. Would really appreciate if you could let me know your thoughts @Nur-Uhr & @beanvatan !!
I think I will need a gasket for the caseback, but this is what I think will work! Maybe movement holders? Or do those come with the movement?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nur-Uhr

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
So sounds like I could do a great build without any modding as follows for a 16233. Would really appreciate if you could let me know your thoughts @Nur-Uhr & @beanvatan !!
I think I will need a gasket for the caseback, but this is what I think will work! Maybe movement holders? Or do those come with the movement?
This sounds good - very good plan.
You can use all these parts and build a very accurate TwoTone DJ.
Afterwards you can always add a TwoTone Jubilee (WSO 14K/SS for example)

The linked parts should all work.

Mvt you can here at RWI cheaper (user: thrillofhunt)

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
This sounds good - very good plan.
You can use all these parts and build a very accurate TwoTone DJ.
Afterwards you can always add a TwoTone Jubilee (WSO 14K/SS for example)

The linked parts should all work.

Mvt you can here at RWI cheaper (user: thrillofhunt)

Thank you so much!! Do I indeed need a different tube to fit the South Korean case or no need?

beanvatan

Renowned Member
26/8/18
United States
Thank you so much!! Do I indeed need a different tube to fit the South Korean case or no need?
No, it's a direct fit. However, if your tube is defective, it's rare for a new case from an S.Korea seller. So it would be best to prepare your wallet and avoid falling into the DJ Darkside like me. After the S.Korea case was out on the market, I kept looking for new DJ dials I could get for the next build. And apparently, my wallet screams "Broke!" at the moment. LOL

beanvatan

Renowned Member
26/8/18
United States
I forgot to mention that the case back on the S.Korea cases is very beautiful, very, very gen-like- unlike the raffle's case back.

beanvatan

Renowned Member
26/8/18
United States
The VS3135 movement is a great option! Good choice! However, if you like me and do not care about the hairsprings, there is nothing to beat it except the gen movement. However, please remember that most of the older style DJs will have a 3135 with white/silver hairsprings like the SH3135. The newer model has parachrom-(blue) hairsprings like the VS3135.

beanvatan

Renowned Member
26/8/18
United States
@HubertL, If you need to buy gasket and tubes and all the other stuff for the build, here is the list of the correct parts for the 16233 build, regardless of the years/period you like.

Crown for Case:24-603-8
Tube for Case:24-5330-0
Crystal Gasket for Case:29-295-1
Case Back Gasket for Case:29-310-8
Case Crystal :Cyclops
Sapphire
25-295C

These parts are true to the model. You can use Chinese or Swiss parts, but make sure the parts you buy are the same as those listed above. I am recommending the Swiss Parts as these are very affordable aftermarket. However, if you decide to go full gen for everything--your wallet will scream!

beanvatan

Renowned Member
26/8/18
United States
@beanvatan & @Nur-Uhr thank you so much!! This is sure to be a very helpful thread for all those looking to build DJs

Any chance you could link to the main eBay seller of S. Korean cases? I’m having a tough time finding them.

Also from my reading it seems like this crown would also work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/234931558024

S.Korea Case Link

Gen Crown Link ($110)

Used Gen Crown ($100)

The crown you linked will work, but I believe the 604-8 twin lock crown will have two dots under the neat crown logo. While the older style DJs underline the crown logo.

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
I also suggest for parts sourcing (crystals, gasket, tubes, …)
Watchparts24.com
He can source also parts which are not listed.
Another good source is TswissT.de for various vintage parts.

Reactions: beanvatan

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
Well of course now I’m saying to myself things like “well a Gen crystal would be nice” or “how about an actual gold bezel”

Uh oh @beanvatan

beanvatan

Renowned Member
26/8/18
United States
Well of course now I’m saying to myself things like “well a Gen crystal would be nice” or “how about an actual gold bezel”

Uh oh @beanvatan
An actual gold bezel of the 16233 is a little harder to find. However, if you ever find one that is on sale. You would need to do the following steps to ensure you're purchasing the correct product, as many times, people are listing the 16013/1603 bezels and claiming them to be 16233.

Step 1
- Hold your gut! and kill that instant buy ability, as these generally go for around $300-$500/piece, and they fly fast!​
Step 2
- Contact the seller and ask them for the hallmark behind the bezel (it's tough to see). Rolex does, but its logo is in a small circle. The height of the bezel, I believe, would be around 2.75mm, and the WEIGHT is 5.00 grams. Make sure you check for the weight and crystal height. The 16013 and 1603 are shorter in height and weigh only 2.5 grams. These two are the critical information that you need to check! Again, do not skip step 2. If you do, it will cost you a lot of headaches, money, and time wasting.​
step 3
- After verifying the information about the bezel, you purchase the product and wait for the bezel to arrive. In the meantime, I recommend you grab a good book and a bottle of Macallan, either 12 or 18 (or your choice of fine wine). Enjoy the book and the excellent wine; your bezel will arrive before you know it.​

As regards the crystal, again, you have to decide whether you're building a model that is pre-2001 or post-2001. If you are making a pre-2001 DJ, your best option is to go with the plain crystal (when I said plain, I meant no LEC and no AR). I believe Rolex started to put LEC (the Laser Etched Crown) on its sapphire crystal around 2001-2002. I can't remember exactly, but it's there. And AR on its crystal, I believe, around 2004 or so. That said, I think the Clark-crystal will do just fine for the older model (90s-2000), or if you can't find the gen, you can ask our professor here on the forum. I believe he is CONUS; his crystals are proof to be as transparent as day and very much on point with the gen. As for the post-2001, you can find them online with no problem since the LEC and AR are more common nowadays.
- (Click Here to learn more about the professor's crystal)

PS Just FYI, don't go too crazy about the crystal, as if you have a vintage Rolex and are sent in for service, they will replace any old broken parts with the new ones anyway. Most of the time, people have their crystals replaced because of dings, dents, scratches, etc.

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
Truly great advice, thank you so much.

I’ve found a few seemingly Gen bezels but the price is 7x an aftermarket at least. Tough to make that call and not sure it’s totally worth it.

As for the Crystal, I agree that a Clarks with AR will work for this mid 90s inspired piece. I’m not too serious about period accuracy but prefer something with a good looking crystal that lets the blue dial be very present. Agreed that the LEC is not important based on when it was introduced.

I’d love to build this on my own. The only difficulty will be removing the stock hands from the movement and placing the new ones on. This could either be a great first opportunity or a money pit waiting to happen, as is tradition…

reinier12

Horology Curious
7/4/11
One more question. I saw some post on the forum of people that used Rafflesdials Datejust hands with VR3135. Does anyone here know what Datejust hands from Rafflesdials might work with the VR3135? Thanks!

reinier12

Horology Curious
7/4/11
@Timmer, where did you buy the ''xtal with the cyclops in the "rolex" position'' and did you assemble it yourself in the raffles case?

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
One more question. I saw some post on the forum of people that used Rafflesdials Datejust hands with VR3135. Does anyone here know what Datejust hands from Rafflesdials might work with the VR3135? Thanks!
The hands needs to be "broached" to fit the 3135 mvt. - take the Raffles "longer post fit hands for 36mm (Day-Date / Datejust)" , they will look the most accurate.